Friday 9 January 2015

WALNUT BROWNIES





Whenever it comes to baking, I get into the kiddo's group as a learner. I open up Google, search for the simplest recipes, keep my i-pad on the kitchen counter and follow stepwise....a cup of this....a spoonful of that.....Then it is necessary also to know the basics of baking.....I love baking a cake on my loved one's birthdays....however simple it is.....its my way of saying you mean so much to us.....Yesterday was such a friend's birthday who is an expert chef by himself.....but...thank God...as poor at baking as me...His wifey dear ordered for a big Tiramisu Cake....so I thought Walnut Brownies should be fine to go with a scoop of ice cream the next day.....Moreover...anything done with love and care is worth having.
Going back to the 90's, during my college days, my mother got me a cake oven sort of thing, which had a plug socket system. I knew only two types of cake recipes then....it was such a fun and pleasure doing something for your loved ones. Throughout the year I would bake a cake with lots of cashews and raisins and on Xmas....a fruit cake....In those days, in an average, middle class Indian family...cakes were eaten only on birthdays and Xmas. So, that simple cake oven gave some flexibility to me....my daddy loved home baked cakes....he has his birthday this month....and how I wish to bake a cake for him. I remember, he always encouraged my cooking efforts..not as critical as my mom. That vintage cake oven found a place in our store room....given her nature....my mother could not throw it away...
Coming back to the present....they liked my brownies yesterday and said they really did tasted like brownies...hahaha....they are as encouraging as my father....

INGREDIENTS :
Plain Flour : 1cup
Baking Powder : 1/2 tsp
Brown Sugar : 1cup[I used caster sugar]
Cocoa Powder : 2/3cup
Butter : 3/4 cup[melted]
Chocolate Chips: 3/4cup
Eggs : 4
Vanilla Extract : 1tsp
Walnuts : 4 tbsp[chopped]

PROCEDURE:
Preheat oven at 180 deg C. In a big bowl, take flour, baking powder, sugar and cocoa powder. Sieve well.

In another bowl, take the butter and chocolate chips. Hold over a container with boiling water and melt.

Once the butter- chocolate mix is cool, break the eggs. Beat well and repeat till all eggs are mixed well.

Now put in the flour mix, little at a time and mix well. Once the mixture is ready,  put in the chopped walnuts and pour in the vanilla extract. Mix well. Pour in a rectangular shaped baking tin.

Bake at 180 deg C for 25 minutes. Check inserting a fork if its done.

Once cool, transfer into a plate and cut into squares.

To be had with scoops of vanilla ice creams....Heavenly....


3 comments :

  1. Brownies look delicious soma:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. interesting read :) to me they look fantastic - as brownies should look ! with the nuts peeking out here and there.

    ReplyDelete