Wednesday 16 March 2016

DUM KA MURG / SLOW COOKED ONE POT CHICKEN




Eureka.... was the word I murmured when I came across one pot slow cooked chicken recipes. As said earlier, not so much of an innovative person, I look for ideas, thanks to Google search, my saviour. With a teen at home, we are in constant need of a variety of recipes. If someone has to prepare chicken thrice a week on demand, she has to look out for variety. The messy cook is such a poor planner. None of her blogger friends seems to be so poor in planning, how beautifully they plan around a theme, work and research on them and finally come up with a beautiful something. This lady is a lazy cook.... plans a recipe in the morning, cooks in the evening and blogs on it next morning. She thinks almost a life spent this way, let it be.... striving for better is perhaps not a lazy escapist's cuppa.

It was a Saturday, the senior has a habit of starting with a movie when I am busy. That day it was one of my interest too. Hence I was looking for a hassle free chicken recipe. It was then I came across a number of Hyderabad Dum Ka Murg recipes. Chicken marinated in aromatic Indian herbs and spices and slow cooked in a pot. Given my nature, I was again running out of some spices exclusively used in this cuisine. The alluring temptation of a hassle free Dum ka Murg recipe could not stop me. So I went ahead with my version of DUM KA MURG, purposefully skipping the word Hyderabadi. Whatever we do we need to be honest, there is no other way to it. My homely DUM KA MURG was no bad either, it was so aromatic, and since it was slow cooked all the juices was so well incorporated. Doing so I could watch the movie uninterrupted. I have decided whenever there will be guests at home, I will take up this hassle free DUM KA MURG recipe. Let us see how we do it.

INGREDIENTS :
Chicken : 1kg[medium cut]
Tomato : 2medium[chopped]
Plain Yogurt : 1/2medium cup[beaten]
Onion Paste : 2tbsp
Ginger Paste : 1tsp
Garlic Paste : 2tsp
Coriander Powder : 1tsp
Cinnamon Stick : 2 one inch stick
Cardamom [green] : 2-3
Cloves : 3-4
Bayleaf : 2
Garam Masala Powder : 1tsp
Red Chilli Powder : 1tsp
Turmeric Powder : 1tsp
Salt : As Required
Coriander Leaves[chopped] : 2tbsp
Mint Leaves[chopped] : 1tbsp
Green Chilli : 3-5[slitted]
Lemon Juice : 2tbsp
Oil : 3tbsp
Wholewheat Dough to seal the cooking container.


METHOD :
Clean and wash the chicken pieces very well. Take them in a big bowl.

Add all the ingredients to it. Mix well rubbing thoroughly with your palm for 3-4 minutes.

Cover and marinate for 1 hour. After marination, they look as below.



Now grease a deep bottomed vessel with few drops of oil. Transfer the marinated chicken with all the marinade to it.

Cover and seal the sides with the dough and place on fire. It looks as below.



Slow cook at low fire for about 45-50 minutes. Lot of water will be released and it will be cooked in its own juices.

At the end we get an extremely aromatic chicken curry... tangy and spicy.




5 comments :

  1. That's truly yummy. Loving it dear Soma :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One pot recipe is what i search for always... noted in my to do list

    ReplyDelete
  3. Slow cooked chicken is always tender, soft, juicy, and yours looks cooked to perfection. Simply mouthwatering! I must say to cook with readily available ingredients in kitchen is a skill, not everybody can do it. Huge fan of your recipes always.

    ReplyDelete