Wednesday 21 August 2019

PAT PATAR BORA O SHAAK



Where to start from, there are a lot of memories associated with these two dishes with pat pata / jute leaves. I think most of the Bengali homes in those days used to have it during the season. The yester year veterans did not even know that Cleopatra used to eat jute leaves, we had it because we loved it and were told that it cools our stomach.. "pet thanda korey". Our family used to prepare the young jute leaves in three ways. The above PAT PATAR BORA O SHAAK and a garlic tempered light curry with it which happened to be of sticky / slippery texture. Let us not reminiscence memory today, I think my beautiful memories cause irritation to many around. Let me be nice to these people at times, if not possible always. I wish to talk only about myself today, well that is the case most of the time.... I am all about I, Me, Myself. 

It was a nice day yesterday and I promised myself to do some walking. Ever since I am enjoying the pleasure of going down for a swim any time of the day, going out for a walk has taken a back sit, a lazy that I am. Yesterday, I walked for 5km and then immediately had an overly chilled coconut drink. It is wrong to have chilled stuffs when the body is warmer than normal, it is more of a wrong to have canned drinks when there are fresh juices available around. Thereafter, I had my favourite, a too hot mini wok. On my way back, I had to walk to the nursery because 5km of walk is not enough for a hippopotamus. 

It was after coming out of the nursery and sitting to have a sugarcane juice that I felt something has gone wrong... I got a sore throat within two hours. Back home, Cristine did the necessary work with the saplings, me being the uneducated instructor. After  taking a shower, I felt feverish. Once home around 10.30pm, the husband indeed asked me to go to a doctor this morning. Unlike his father, he never was / is at his wife's service 24/7 and get tensed at the sight of a mildly feverish wife. Because my husband asked me to go to the doctor, I would make it a point not to go. I had a calpol at night and went to sleep. I woke up late this morning, around 6am and look at what I woke up to.... should not I hum "baharon.... mera jivan bhi sanwaron.... baharon.. sanwaron"... I must learn the lyrics of this old favourite. While I was paying my tribute to the deceased soul of Vidya Sinha in one forum, I got the news of the demise of Khayyam Sahab.... Umrao Jaan was as much as of him, as it was of the diva Rekha. I wish I had the guts of having a Rekha's life.... "the queen of her own self"... No, I do not have any problem with those who go public with kissing, smooching pictures with their partners, I think I am not the kind to abuse, back bite others unless they batter my self respect. I keep telling my brother to take good care of his wife.... so long she is duty bound to our mother, we need not monitor her life at all, she would not allow anyone either.





Should I have one more calpol now? If I can walk 6km to the Indian neighbourhood, I can have a plate of chaat or Southern Indian Rice platter. Then, tomorrow I have to visit that area for an oncoming occasion. I keep eating out but what goes in to their lunch boxes are usually homemade. Today, it was ruti with eggplant-egg bharta in the lunch box, beside a snack box as that.



Coming to the vegetarian sides PAT PATAR BORA O SHAAK, they were regular at home, still is and just this way. The problem is I do not get a regular supply of it in our island. All of us can finish two plates of the batter fries within minutes, though the husband never crosses the limit. The son would definitely not have the garlic tossed jute leaves. These were / are very common, rustic, authentic Bengali dishes and I sincerely wish to keep them alive at this home, in the blog.



INGREDIENTS : FOR THE GARLIC TOSSED YOUNG JUTE LEAVES

PAT PATA / YOUNG JUTE LEAF : 500 GM 
CRUSHED GARLIC : 2TSP
DRY RED CHILLI : 2
SLITTED GREEN CHILLI : 1OR 2
TURMERIC : 1/4TSP
NIGELLA SEED : 1/4TSP
SALT : AS REQUIRED
OIL : 1TBSP [I USE MUSTARD, YOU CAN USE ANY]


INGREDIENTS : FOR THE BATTER FRIED YOUNG JUTE LEAVES

PAT PATA / YOUNG JUTE LEAF : 500GM - 750GM
CHOPPED GREEN CHILLI : 2TSP
RICE FLOUR : 1SMALL TEA CUP
GRAM FLOUR : 1/4SMALL TEA CUP
RED CHILLI POWDER : 1TSP
TURMERIC POWDER : 1/2TSP
SUGAR : 1/3TSP
SALT : AS REQUIRED
OIL : 1OOML - 150ML TO DEEP FRY [THE EXCESS CAN BE STORED FOR A LATER USE]

PROCEDURE :

For both the dishes, it is required to dress each young leaf of a jute plant properly. We would fold each leaf, tear off and discard the mid section. Thereafter, we would wash them few times very well. We would let all the water drain well. Now the leaves are ready to be used for both the recipes.




Let us prepare the PAT SHAAK ..... Jute Leaves tossed in crushed garlic at first.


Heat 1tbsp of oil in a wok or a pan and temper with nigella seeds, dried red chillies and the crushed garlic. Stir at low heat for a minute.

Add the leaves as much you are using [They become 1/4 of the amount you are using after being cooked.]

Add the turmeric, slitted green chillies and the required amount of salt. Fold in well and lower the heat to minimal.

Cover cook for 10 minutes checking in between. They should release water and get cooked in that water. If not, keep sprinkling water every 2 minutes.

Once all the water dries up, we should be done.


Now let us do the PAT PATAR BORA .... Batter Fried Jute leaves Fritters.


Prepare a batter with the rice flour, gram flour, red chilli powder, chopped green chillies, turmeric powder, salt as required and the sugar adding little water at a time. The batter should be the consistency of a tooth paste. Keep the batter standing for 6-8-10 minutes allowing all the ingredients to incorporate well.

Heat 100-150ml oil in a wok. Take 3-4 leaves together, dip into and coat well with the batter. We do not thickly coat these leaves, we should be able to get the taste of the leaves, which should be very crisp after being fried.

Now add them carefully to the hot oil. Fry them in batches, turning over constantly. We have to adjust and readjust the heat constantly during the process. Take down as the leaves gets to be crisp without letting them to get burnt.


Both the items go great with steamed rice, you may try the fritters with tea / coffee.















2 comments :

  1. Hi, where do u get palpata here and what does it call? Little india does not know about jute leaves..

    ReplyDelete
  2. You would get pat pata in the Bangladeshi shops located opposite Mustafa Centre, entry-1.... go on a weekend, they keep it during this season, not everyday

    ReplyDelete