Sunday 29 September 2019

ANAROSHER HALWA


I find Halwa to be the quickest dessert one can prepare, it can be made in a jiffy. I will repeat a non-Bengali speaking Indian or it's immediate neighbours prepare a halwa way better than a Bengali. At least I find their's tastier than our's. There is no such trick or expertise in it, that measurement of half-n-half ghee & semolina or flour is what makes the difference. What I can say on behalf of the Bengalis is that we are not in the habit of using gallons of ghee unless we are cooking a pulao..... we usually use ghee as a condiment to go with rice or garnish a dish. I really wish to prepare ghee at home the way our mother used to do / does. Why not? The daddy had to have milk all day and that very unhealthy over boiled creamy, warm milk post dinner. So, storing "shor" that is milk cream was not a problem for our mother. I do not know the reason but she used to do it only in winter. Oh my! a week of stored milk cream gave only 100-150ml of ghee / clarified butter. It was worth because you get pure, unadulterated, too flavourful ghee that way. Some of my blogger friends have the same recipe in their blog because it is the traditional way of doing it. Here we get two varieties, one is priced at 10:90-11:90$ for a litre while the other costs around 21$ for a litre. You all know I am a miser, I go for the less priced Britannia, Amul or Govardhan's cow or even "bhaisa" ghee. I do not know why my parents were keen on feeding me "bhaisa dudh" since birth, that is the main reason of me turning into an obese. Anyway, this sugar free, quick, easy, healthier dessert / sweet with suji and fresh pineapple juice ANAROSHER HALWA  proves to be less guilty.

See, I cannot concentrate on going ahead with a blog post on a Sunday, the senior keeps the television  set switched  on all day that too in the highest volume. He keeps on switching between the CNN & NETFLIX. I just got hooked to what this Senegalese Chef had to say.... how the not so affluent him managed a student visa to that "shob peyechir desh" and now serving Senegalese food to the "cheese & potato lovers." Thereafter these girls, I admire such enterprising girls.... nothing can deter them, see how confidently they speak. I like only those beautiful women who are not  bothered "only" of their "beautiful faces"..... they are confident that they are way more qualitative than being just a face. Why only blame a girl, there are males whose obsession for a nicely curved face and body is such that they express it in their actions throughout their lives.



Why do I watch these shows? Look I am having "muri-badam" makha.... I will hardly try a Senegalese dish leaving "shorshe bata diye data chocchori."


I will be me... cook, eat, share my no frill pictures in public forums. I will strongly protest if anyone only  comment about my face.... I am not obsessed with that, never tried to woo males with my physicality.... that is something I never can do.... The day I started posting my natural self in public, I lost followers but that was good. The wrong types of messages I hate stopped coming in, while I know some people who enjoy those nonsense.... it's their personal choice.... However hugging-kissing scenes with people with no common interest is not my cuppa.... I do not mingle for personal interests. I do not fear "unfollows" because I know only the right kinds will stay by me.... thats a good feel. People should give me the liberty to go up with my sarees & dresses at times if not often, people should know I idolise the better qualities in people like some special skills, their knowledge about literature, art, architecture, science, photography.... only a face irritates me [jealous? nay]. I do make it a point to stand by "some" of those who are still obsessed with a "specially designed face"..... know  that I cannot avoid it .... but I do not wish to be in that league who worship "faces". I have to square up now, its a Sunday, Cristine already went off. You know I am not the kind who can tolerate a crumbled bed spread until late morning, I come from a family to whom "bashi ghar, bashi bichana" cleaning within a particular time period every morning is a sacred job. Cristine however cleans the beds and go. The husband will not take me to buy a single piece of jewelry on this last Sunday before Pujo, so late afternoon I will stroll in the local mall and have my favourite "black coffee & Taro Pie" at the Burger King, I prefer their's more than Mac's..... I love a Buskin Robbins & "Khogen Das" too, only when the Husband treats me with. As of now, let me share this homemade, less guilt dessert with fresh pineapple juice and semolina, garnished with pistachio ANAROSHER HALWA.


INGREDIENTS :

SEMOLINA / SUJI : 1SMALL TEA CUP
FRESH PINEAPPLE JUICE : 1COFFEE MUG
SUGAR : 2TBSP is enough if the pineapple is really sweet [I used stevia of equal amount]
GREEN CARDAMOM POWDER : 1TSP
GREEN CARDAMOM POD : 2
BAY LEAF : 1
EDIBLE YELLOW COLOUR : 2-3DROPS [I used amber gold icing colour]
WARM WATER : AS REQUIRED
GHEE / CLARIFIED BUTTER : 1/2 SMALL TEA CUP + 2TBSP
CHOPPED PISTACHIO TO GARNISH

PROCEDURE :

I could not take the pictures of the steps because I offered it to the God's Family on Ganesh Chaturthi.... my family do not permit clicking food before the offering.

There has to be a proof that I used freshly made pineapple juice, all cooked in God's utensils. Here it is.




Halwa making is a pleasure. We love them. The son do not enjoy but eats when it is made with fruits. So I do.

"Warm" the ghee / clarified butter in a wok. Temper with the cardamom pods and a bay leaf.

Add the semolina and keep roasting until brown. This may take some 5-7 minutes.

Transfer to a bowl to use later.

We have already extracted some pineapple juice using a blender or juicer. Then we have strained the juice.

Pour the juice in a bowl and add the stevia or sugar to it. Stir to dissolve.

Add it to the wok and bring to a boil . Turn the gas level to minimal and let simmer for 3-4 minutes.

Add the roasted semolina now. Stir and fold in well.

Add the required amount of water, the edible food colour and the green cardamom powder.

Let simmer at minimal heat, covered for 3-4 minutes. Add more water only if necessary.

Once done, add 2tbsp ghee and chopped pistachio as garnish.









No comments :

Post a Comment