Monday 2 September 2019

POMEGRANATE KULFI


That was prepared earlier this month when I got home good sized pomegranates at a decent prize.... the miser that I am any expensive fruit comes at a discounted price to this home. Not to worry, I do love my family and do not compromise with the quality of food to that extreme. The lazy men at home do not wish to have pomegranate as a fruit.... make dessert with it or use it as a garnish, yes! These people are not really fussy with food or very demanding, you just need to serve them what they enjoy having. I do not always conform to their wish, would do so had they have at least one meal of the day with some salad.... listening to their wish means no vegetable going inside their stomach. So, I use coercive actions often. I am getting kind of restrictive with the white sugar intake, so desserts and sweets are made in lesser amount at home. How can I stop preparing them altogether? I must prepare them, what I do is use the freshest of ripe, juicy fruits to lessen the amount of sugar or sugar alternatives in whichever sweet or dessert I prepare. Like this healthy frozen dessert POMEGRANATE KULFI was done with a good amount of pomegranate juice besides full cream milk and evaporated milk. I used stevia powder because I am a diabetic and I am unable to manage the blood sugar level for quite sometime now because of my love for food in general. I have to taste what I cook.


I am careful about what I feed my men like this morning I finally had the last piece of semolina muffin I prepared more than a week back, that luchi dough was prepared for a Saturday lunch, I told Cristine let you and me finish off the remaining this morning. In a worst case scenario, I have to throw food that I dislike.


Tea and Coffee without sugar and milk is what suits me I found, that milk coffee and tea on a daily basis is causing me acidity, bloating.... the other day I had to take hold of my ailing self having glasses of Ayataka Tea. I only asked Cristine to prepare a "jompesh dudh cha" for me as we had to finish the evaporated creamer can which I already have opened. You may anyday find me dead from food poisoning, but I try to be honest when I cook for my family and you.... my friends, followers, readers!

I am however willing to finish off today quickly .... I have my hair to be coloured, have a shower after an hour, although there is no Ganesh Chaturthi kind of celebration in the family, I am feeling awkward offering "jol-michri" only to him today, thinking what can be done in a jiffy.... only halwa comes to my head....  Thereafter, I may venture out for a very late lunch ..... which may be a non-vegetarian dish which has nothing to do with the public sentiment. Ganesh ji / Gonshu Baba was prayed specially on the occasion of "Akshaytritiya" in our maternal grand parents home.... almost all Bengali  business families worship Ganesha either on Poila Baishak or Akshay Tritiya. I hear this time of the year it is the start of the Muslim Calendar too.... anyone can enjoy their special occasion with this frozen dessert POMEGRANATE KULFI. I have used full cream milk, evaporated milk, pomegranate juice, stevia powder, green cardamom powder and mixed nut to prepare it. You can use equal amount of sugar instead of stevia. Our boy specially needs these kind of food entertainments after school.... ... he is the prime focus in our life, had we have a girl child, she would have been so, its so plain and simple, had we being issueless we would have lived with a pain one may not have an idea of.




INGREDIENTS :

FULL CREAM MILK : 1LITRE [I USE MARRIGOLD]
EVAPORATED MILK : 1CAN [385ML]
POMEGRANATE JUICE : 1COFFEE MUG
STEVIA POWDER : 2-3TBSP [YOU CAN USE EQUAL AMOUNT OF SUGAR]
GREEN CARDAMOM POWDER : 1/2TSP
EDIBLE RED FOOD COLOUR : 1-2DROPS
CHOPPED PISTACHIO AND ALMOND : 2TBSP

PROCEDURE : 

Take the entire amount of milk in a container and put for boil. 


Stir continuously until it reduces to half. Add the evaporated milk and stevia powder now.


Keep stirring for another 5 minutes. Add the green cardamom powder and 1/2 of the chopped pistachio and almonds now. Switch off the oven after a minute or so.

Do the entire cooking at low heat.



Meanwhile, Cristine had extracted all the juice from the pomegranate. I have added a bit of edible red food colour to it which is optional.



Now, let the milk mixture cool completely, add the pomegranate juice to it and mix well.


Pour onto a clean container. Garnish with the rest of the chopped pistachios, cover with a foil and freeze for 5-6 hours before we can have it.


I totally loved it because the addition of fresh pomegranate gave it an extra punch, the family enjoyed it too.... 






No comments :

Post a Comment