Sunday 12 October 2014

INDONESIAN FISH CURRY




I visited Bali in 2011 and loved its beaches, picturesque nature and offcourse; the local cuisine. Later, early this year, when I visited Bintan, my feelings got firmer. Fresh fish, meat and vegetables cooked with flavorful spice mix using coconut milk instead of water; wow, they tickled my taste buds.
My love for fish keeps me hunting for new recipes throughout the internet. So many countries, different culture, their cuisine; for me its like exploring the world. With each recipe I go through, I feel I learnt a bit about their culture. Each recipe I try is my way of paying tribute to that culture.

When I started this blog,  I thought of promoting the cuisine of my region only through it. Then I felt, a variety should also be welcomed. I love my city, region, language but at the same time I believe "the entire world is one big home." Our mind should be open enough to accept other culture, cuisine, their way of life; that is a kind of learning also. We should not limit ourselves to a particular region; whether it is it's language or culture or cuisine.

With this thought, I cooked and pen this INDONESIAN FISH CURRY in the blog.



INGREDIENTS :

Any white fish fillets/prawns : 300 gm
Coconut Milk : 200 ml
Onion : 1 big
Red Chilli : 2
Garlic cloves : 2
Shrimp Paste : 1 tsp {I skipped}
Coriander Powder ; 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder : 1/4 tsp
Red Chilli Powder : 1 tsp
Soya Sauce(light) : 2 tsp
Salt : As per taste
Lime : 1
Lemongrass : 1 stick
Sunflower Oil : 2 tbsp
Coriander leaves : 25 gm

METHOD :

Peel and finely chop the garlic. Peel and slice the onions. Cut the red chillies into halves, deseed and slice. Finely chop the lemongrass. Roughly chop the coriander leaves. Wash everything separately. Get the juice from the lemon.

Heat oil in a wide mouthed pan. Add the sliced onions and chillies. Saute for 2 minutes. Once the onions get translucent, add the garlic paste. Stir for a minute.

Now add the turmeric, lemongrass, salt, soya sauce, coriander powder, chilli powder to the pan. Saute for 2 minutes. Pour in the coconut milk and a cup of water. Bring it to a boil. Add the fish pieces carefully. Let boil for another 4 minutes. Add the chopped coriander leaves and the lime juice. Switch off the gas burner.

Please note, since you are using soya sauce and if in your case the shrimp paste, be very careful about the use of salt as they already have salt in them. You can garnish with chopped spring onions if you wish to.

Enjoy only with piping hot steamed rice!!


No comments :

Post a Comment