Monday 20 October 2014

MAACH DORANGA / FISH IN DOUBLE SAUCE



Fish being an absolute favourite, I love experimenting with different recipes of fish. I keep on exploring throughout internet for some new recipes on fish. If I like one I do not take much time to grab the recipe and do it. Long back I saw a recipe in a magazine of fish in three types of sauce....red, green and white. I don't remember the recipe which I saw some 20-22 years back, so used a bit of my own idea and finalised on this recipe of fish cooked in two types of sauces. The very authentic Bengali fish recipe "koi hara-gauri" is also done in two types of spice sauces.


      I may not remember a particular recipe from the past, but if you stop by my recipes, you may see most of them are in some way related to my past or to my present situations and scenarios. Past and Present are interrelated.....so I never deny my past. Although I stop by a number of posts everyday to forget the past and live in the present, I feel I relive life reminiscing the olden days. May be they are words of wisdom but somehow I do not agree to it. If I forget my past I am denying so many things....me coming into being, growing up with siblings, my teachers, lovely friends. Believe me, diving into your past makes you feel into your parents arms....warm and cosy. Past was fun, happy, full of warmth and yes, pain....that of leaving behind and moving ahead for a new life... new people to meet. Pain is inevitable in a life's journey.... it helps you grow strong and understand life. There is nothing left in a blame game, life is only situations....supporting you or not. Accepting pain gracefully and moving on is an art of living we need to learn.


     Somebody knocked on my head and said I am a food blogger not a philosopher. Before people stop reading my recipes I need to switch on the damage control mode. Fish is  an important resource of protein for humankind... so why not. They have a role in culture through the ages, serving as deities, religious symbols, and as the subjects of art, books and movies. To simplify, its tasty, its healthy....so grab it and have it !!



INGREDIENT [ MAIN ] :

Grouper, Sea bass or any firm white fish : 500 gm
Salt : As per taste
Turmeric Powder : 1tsp
Vinegar : 2 tbsp
Oil : 4 tbsp

INGREDIENTS [ for the red sauce ] :

Ripe Tomatoes : 2 big
Onion : 1 big
Kashmiri Chilli Powder : 1 tsp
Ginger Paste : 2 tsp
Garlic Paste : 1/2 tsp
Coriander Powder : 1/2 tsp
Cumin Powder : 1/2 tsp
Salt : As per taste
Turmeric : 1/2 tsp
Cumin Seeds : 2 pinch

INGREDIENTS [ for the green sauce ] :

Coriander Leaves : 100 gm
Green Chilli Paste : 1 tsp
Salt : As per taste
Nigella Seeds : 2 pinches.

METHOD :

The fish has to be cut into ringlets, washed and marinated in vinegar for about an hour. After one hour, drain the excess vinegar water and marinate the fish with salt and turmeric. Keep aside.

Wash, cut and deseed the tomatoes and blend into a smooth paste. Slice the onion. Keep the ginger and garlic paste ready in hand. The cumin powder, coriander powder, salt and turmeric should be kept ready near you.

Wash, cut and blend the coriander leaves along with the green chillies smoothly.

Heat oil in a pan. Fry the fish pieces till golden brown. Transfer onto a serving plate. In the same oil, add the cumin seeds. As they splutter, add in the onion pieces and fry till golden brown.

Add the ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell goes. Add the tomato paste, sauté for 3 to 4 minutes, add the salt, turmeric powder, cumin and coriander powder. Stir well till the oil separates from the spice mix. Add 1 tea cup water. Cover and let boil for 5 minutes. Pour onto half of the fried fish pieces.

Heat 1 tbsp oil in a clean wok. Temper with nigella seeds. Add the coriander- green-chilli paste. Add little salt. Saute in low heat for about 3-4 minutes till the raw smell goes. Add 1/2 tea cup water. Let boil in medium heat for 3 minutes. As the gravy gets a creamy consistency, pour onto rest of the fried fish.

Let the fish pieces soak in the gravy. Warm again before serving with piping hot steamed rice.



No comments :

Post a Comment