Monday, 23 February 2015

AAR DHONEPATA JHOL / FISH CORIANDER CURRY





This fish preparation is particular of the Comilla district of Bangladesh. Comilla is one of the major districts of Bangladesh located about 100 km southeast of Dhaka. Originally my forefathers belonged to this particular place, hence brought with them the cuisine typical of that place. This particular dish is not so popular amongst our community. Since I love it and its extremely soothing during summers, I thought of posting this recipe. After I got married, I cooked it one day and they liked it. I hope I could impress them.

I am just back from a 4 day relaxed holiday from a beautiful hill side in Malaysia....enjoyed the food, climate, picturesque nature, indulgent spa treatment.... everything. However the typical Bengali inside me was craving for home cooked food. Though I call myself cosmopolitan, I am deep inside a typical Bengali. I am a foodie, I love world cuisine, but at the end of the day I want my share of fish curry and.......filling this blank is easy... but I am not allowed to have  it to my heart's content. For a rice lover like me....its a curse sort of. So today, back from work, the tired me is happily cooking my favourite fish curry with coriander paste.

For this fish coriander curry....you need fresh water fish which must be fresh. Its mainly done with Aar[long whiskered cat fish], Pabda[butter fish], Tangra[ a type of catfish perhaps]. Its done with very little ingredients, mainly fresh green coriander leaves paste. Its a very light, aromatic curry. You can add broad beans and egg plants to this curry or prepare plain.

INGREDIENTS :
Aar [long-whiskered cat fish] : 4 pieces
Dry Red Chilli Powder : 1tsp
Green Chilli : 2
Salt : As required
Turmeric Powder : 1/2 tsp
Kalojirey [nigella seeds/kalonji] : 2pinches
Coriander Leaves : 50 gm
Oil : 1tbsp

METHOD :
Clean and wash the fish pieces. Add salt, turmeric powder and red chilli powder and marinate well. Keep aside for 14 minutes.

Wash and chop the coriander leaves, grind into a paste along with the green chillies adding very little water. The mixture should not be watery but paste like.

Heat the oil in a wok. Temper with nigella seeds. Add the fish pieces along with the marinade. Cover cook at lowest heat for 2 minutes. Open cover and flip over the fish pieces very carefully. They should not break. Cover cook for another 2 minutes.

Open the cover. Add the chilli-coriander paste. Add some salt. Stir carefully and cover cook at lowest heat for 2 minutes.

Open cover and add 1/4 cup water. Cover cook for 2-3 minutes. Its done.

Enjoy with piping hot steamed rice!!







2 comments :

  1. I love fish curry and used to prepare weekly ...love your mouth watering recipe and picture ..will try soon :-)

    ReplyDelete