Monday, 2 March 2015

CARROT CAKE



A leisurely weekend morning, a bit late wake up watching the faces of your loved ones sleeping peacefully, a small plan, a little effort is what is  required to see them happy  during evening tea time. To see those happy faces one can bet anything, any amount of labour is welcome. Weekends demand some sweets/desserts to complete our meals or light up the evening tea table.

As in all my posts concerning cakes, I always remind all the readers who takes the pain to stop by, that I am still a learner when it comes to baking. Since my men like home made cakes, I dare to venture in this arena more often these days.I explore through google, go through the easy ones and finally select one subject to the availability of the ingredients at home on that particular day.

Last week I was literally planning to prepare a cake at the weekend with a cream cheese topping. I have heard it tastes excellent. I had my sugar check done for the next one month. So I could set loose myself a little. So Saturday morning I had the cream cheese in the refrigerator saying do it today itself. I had quite a number of carrots. So there the idea of making a CARROT CAKE popped up with a rich cream cheese topping. I prepared one for my men, the rest for our friends who love eating them even if  they are over baked at times.

This is a Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Topping to stir up your tea table. Believe me....it was not so bad this time. Soft, with the richness of the topping. I may not have been able to dress it up properly but their smile was genuine. That is enough reason for me to be happy.

INGREDIENTS :[for the cake]
All Purpose Flour : 21/2 cup
Baking Powder : 11/4 tsp
Baking Soda : 1tsp
Cinnamon Powder : 1tsp
Nutmeg Powder : 1/2 tsp
Eggs : 4
Sugar : 11/2 cup
Vegetable Oil : 1 cup
Plain Yogurt : 1/2 cup
Roasted Walnuts : 1/2 cup
Carrots : 2[big]

INGREDIENTS :[for the cream cheese topping]
Butter : 50 gm
Cream Cheese : 2 packs of 8 ounce
Powdered Sugar : 1 cup
Vanilla Extract : 1tsp

METHOD :
Preheat the oven at 180 degree C.

In a large bowl put all the dry ingredients together and mix well.


In another large bowl mix together oil and sugar and beat together for 3-5 minutes. Add eggs one by one and mix well. Beat the yogurt in a cup and add to the liquid mixture. Mix very well.

Add the flour mix little by little to the liquid mix and stir well to get rid of any lump. The final mixture should be a little thicker batter.

Wash, peel, shred the carrots and add to the batter, stir well.

Grease your cake tin with little oil and then dust lightly with flour. Pour the batter till half of the tin. Bake for 40-45 minutes at 180*C. Let cool.

Dry roast the walnuts in a pan. Once cool break them with your palms.

In a blender put together the softened butter and cream cheese and blend for 3 minutes, add the powdered sugar. Blend at high speed for 3-4 minutes. Add the vanilla extract and blend for 1 minute.

Once the cake is completely cool, take out turning it upside down on a plate. Apply the cream cheese frosting on top. Then arrange the walnut pieces on it.

Enjoy your tea time or as an after meal dessert!!




No comments :

Post a Comment