Friday 13 March 2015

SEABASS WITH CAULIFLOWER / BHETKI FULKOPIR JHOL




Before people think I have somehow stopped loving and eating fish, I thought today is the day when I must prove it wrong. I am very much eating and preaching it keeping my Bong identity just in place. I believe which ever part of the world a Bong may land in, on their first morning in a foreign land, they surely google search for the nearest fish market. If I hear of a non-fish loving Bong, I take the responsibility of teaching and making them believe the 100 reasons why they should have fish....I have not spared my chicken loving son from this either. Mamma literally mash the fish and feed her teen, oblivion of all the scolding she gets from the senior asking to stop pampering and let him be independent. Now, this mamma never did deny of being a typical Bengali Mother. My dictate at home is clear....love it or not....one has to eat fish on a regular basis ....

The fish I used today is Seabass, similar to Bhetki or Barramundi as it is called in India. Perhaps they belong to the same species. Though not same, they are similar in taste. I do not wish to apply here my little wiki knowledge, deeper research is required to make any comment on a topic. This much I can say, back home we love preparing this fish with cauliflower and potato, or use its fillet to make fish fries. Fish lovers I know you are already planning for a fish fry with your evening tea. I also know, non-fish lovers are planning at my back to quit visiting my blog. I promise you some meat n vegetable dishes soon. Now lets proceed to the recipe, before the cat eats the fish.



INGREDIENTS :
Seabass : 6 pieces
Cauliflower : 6-8 medium florets
Potato : 2 medium
Tomato : 1medium
Ginger Paste : 1tbsp
Green Chilli Paste : 1tsp
Cumin Powder : 1tsp
Kashmiri Chilli Powder : 1/2 tsp[for colour]
Turmeric Powder : 1tbsp
Salt : As required
Bay leaf : 1
Cumin Seeds : 2 pinches
Oil : 4 tbsp

METHOD :

Wash the fish pieces, apply salt n turmeric as required and rub well. Peel, wash and cut each potato into 4 pieces, lengthwise and then widthwise. Wash both potato and cauliflower separately, apply n rub salt n turmeric well.

Wash and cut the tomatoes deseeding it. Keep all spices near you.

Heat oil in a wok. Fry the fish pieces in batches till light brown, both sides. Keep aside.

Fry the cauliflower and potato pieces till light brown, in batches. Keep aside.

Temper the oil with bay leaf and cumin seeds. As they splutter, add the ginger paste.

Saute for 1 minute, add the chilli paste, fry for another 1-2 minutes. Add the tomato pieces and fry till the spice mix separates from the oil.

Now add rest of the turmeric powder, salt and Kashmiri chilli powder. Mix well. Add 1 coffee mug of water.

Let the curry boil for 2 minutes, add the fried potatoes, let boil for another 2-3 minutes at medium to low heat. Now add the cauliflowers and fish pieces.

Boil for 2-3 minutes. Its done.

Serve hot on a bed of piping hot steamed rice!!









No comments :

Post a Comment