Thursday 19 November 2015

OMELETTE CURRY


This one is done entirely the family way. I mean I have seen other recipes of Omelette Curries in the net but followed the family recipe here. However, I thing eggs more or less have similar curry base all over! May be later I will try the modified recipes I get to see around! As a child I did not like eggs. To be precise, I loved the yolk and discarded the white altogether. My brother altogether hated eggs. 

Preparing this Omelette Curry was our mother's trick to feed me egg protein. Keeping with the tradition, I too do it to feed egg to my son who does not love eggs much. The senior at home loves egg in any form except raw. Actually, our's had been a fish loving family! We preferred rustic, cheaper variety fish curries over an egg! In the present day, I take some interest in eggs as I do not get my choice of the fresh water fish varieties on a regular basis!

This is quite an easy recipe done with minimal ingredients. As a Bengali, the use of potato in curries is perhaps by default. You can skip it if you wish. It tastes absolutely yum with both rice or roti. It is a quick and simple recipe that can be done on a busy week day night, I mean at any time! In our childhood, we used to have sudden guests, the eggs in stock were the saviours in the situation. Let us proceed with the recipe.



INGREDIENTS :

Eggs : 4
Potato : 1
Onion : 1
Tomato : 1
Ginger Paste : 2tsp
Garlic Paste : 1tbsp
Cumin Powder : 1tsp
Turmeric Powder : 1/2tsp
Chilli Powder : 1tsp
Cinnamon Powder : 2pinches
Green Cardamom Powder : 1pinch
Cloves Powder : 1pinch
Cumin Seed : 3pinches
Bayleaf : 1
Salt : As required
Sugar : 1tsp
Oil : 3tbsp + 1/4tsp for each omelette

METHOD :

Prepare omelette with the eggs and cut them into smaller pieces.

Peel, cut, wash and cube the potatoes. Apply salt and turmeric. Slice the onions, wash & cube the tomato!

Heat 1tbsp oil in a wok . Fry the potato pieces till brown, take out and keep aside.

Temper the oil with cumin seeds and bayleaf. Add the onion slices and fry till brown.

Add the ginger & garlic pastes, fry for 1 minute. Add the cumin powder, chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt to it and saute for 1/2 a minute.

Add the fried potato pieces and mix well. Add one cup water and bring the gravy to boil.

Let the gravy boil for 3-4 minutes, add the tomato pieces. Add the omelette pieces now. Let boil for 3-4 minutes.

Now add the sugar, cinnamon powder, cardamom powder and cloves powder. Stir and switch off.

Serve hot with rice / chapati.






No comments :

Post a Comment