Tuesday, 6 September 2016

ASSORTED VEGETABLE PAKORA / FRITTER



Weekends are for indulgence. We do not bind ourselves to a rulebook and just let it be. For me it is a weeklong wait for lazy wake ups, chit chats, happy cooking, an elaborate lunch together, a cosy evening tea with snacks with the television on almost 24/7. If we are not going anywhere or do not have any guests coming over, we love to relax over food, adda [chitchat] and movies. I feel if other family members live far off, we get more close knit with the ones we live with. After a beautiful weekend, again it is a routined week. Though I am occupied with a couple of activities, I eagerly wait for the evening for their homecoming. The more I am aging, the more mentally dependant I am getting. I cannot believe at times, in the prime years of my life I lived months after months without my senior, which is quite normal of the mariners' wives. My little boy missed his daddy so much so that he landed with a shore job. For the sake of that happiness, should not we be little indulgent on weekends and be happy with some sinful eating ?.... we should.

We Indians / South Asians perhaps prepare fritter or pakoras with almost all vegetables. My men are not vegetable lovers, hence I need to play certain tricks with veggies to feed them the same, at times in the form of a kofta curry and at times preparing pakoras with them. The other day I had some veggies in the pantry like carrots, a bowl of shredded cabbage, few french beans... not enough to prepare a veggie dish... which my men will not love also. Since I cannot comply with the idea of throwing away food, I thought of preparing some Assorted Vegetable Pakora / fritter with them. Let us prepare the Assorted Vegetable Pakora / Fritter together and enjoy with our evening tea or coffee.

INGREDIENTS :
Carrot [shredded] : 2
Long / French Beans : 5-6 [finely chopped]
Cabbage : 1big cup [shredded]
Onion : 2 [thinly sliced]
Green Chilli : 3-4 [finely chopped]
Parsley / Coriander Leaves : 2 sprig [roughly chopped]
Refined Flour : 1medium cup
Cornflour : 1/2 medium cup
Baking Soda : A pinch
Turmeric Powder : 1/2tsp
Salt : As required
Sugar : 1tsp [optional]
Oil : 100-150ml [to fry]

METHOD :
Peel and wash the carrots, beans, onions. Shred and chop them as required. Wash 1/4 of a small to medium cabbage and shred. Wash and chop the green chillies and parsley / coriander leaves.

In a bowl, take the refined flour, cornflour and baking soda. Mix well. Add turmeric, salt, sugar to it. Add water little by little to prepare a paste like batter.

Add all the vegetables to it. Mix well. Shape as you wish. Heat oil in a wok up to smoking point, lower heat to least. Fry the pakoras in batches till brown on both sides. Place them onto tissue papers.

After sometime, transfer them into  serving bowls and serve with chutney or sauce of your choice.




13 comments :

  1. Pakoras look lovely...A very fine way to make picky eaters eat veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm mouthwatering over these yummy pakoras...!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dengue te bichana e bose bose sudhu aei chop r swapno dekh chilam. .tokhon tomar aei post sotti ki lobhonio amar kache akhon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats very bad Moumita.... Nakhon kemon acho... Mumbai monsoon is terrible.... ur luchir payesh is yummy....

      Delete
  4. Dengue te bichana e bose bose sudhu aei chop r swapno dekh chilam. .tokhon tomar aei post sotti ki lobhonio amar kache akhon

    ReplyDelete
  5. These vegetable pakora look fantastic, Soma. I wish I could have these my coffee right away! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tasty fritters. Good idea of using vegetables in such a interesting way.

    ReplyDelete