Monday, 26 September 2016

MIXED VEGETABLE MEDLEY / NIRAMISH CHOCCHORI



A fever, sore throat, junior's semester, attending certain other responsibilities, my own engagements, I am caught up with so many things. Yet I thought I should write up a recipe today, its been a week I have not. This Niramish Chocchori or Mixed Vegetable Medley is a regular dish in any Bengali household. Each family has its own way of doing it.... with any combination of vegetables and their choice of tempering. At my home I try to keep the vegetable dishes less spicy because I tend to prepare my curries a bit spicy and hot.

To be very frank, in my side of the family, we usually use this combination of vegetables to cook shutki maach [sundried fish, specifically with dried Bombay Duck]. If you are still reading it and have not left me, let me tell you I still could not gather the courage to blog on my much loved dried fish dishes. Before I stop blogging, I hope I can, I should. We belong to the eastern part of undivided Bengal, now Bangladesh. Hence dried fish preparations are a delicacy for us. My burger, sushi, pizza loving men too becomes a typical Bangal when it comes to dried fish bharta or chocchori. When I can blog on it I will, as of now I wish to share this simple mixed vegetable dish with you all.

Let us prepare this Niramish Chocchori / Mixed Vegetable Medley together before my swollen eyes starts giving more trouble.

INGREDIENTS :
PUMPKIN : 1/2 of a medium sized one
BROAD BEAN : 250gm
POTATO : 2 medium
RADISH : 4 [if using the small sized Indian ones, otherwise a big one]
EGGPLANT : 1big
ONION 1 [sliced, authentically not used]
GREEN CHILLI : 4[slitted]
CUMIN POWDER : 1tsp
TURMERIC POWDER : 2tsp
SALT : As Required
NIGELLA SEED [KALONJI] : 1/4tsp [for tempering]
DRY RED CHILLI : 2 [slitted]
OIL : 2tbsp[authentically Mustard Oil]

METHOD :
Remove the skin of pumpkin, potato and radish. Wash and cut into cubes. Wash and cut the eggplants into cubes. Cut each broad bean into three pieces.

Keep each in separate bowls and rub with turmeric powder and salt.

Heat oil in a wok. Temper with nigella seeds and slitted dry red chillies. Add the onion slices and fry till golden brown.

Add the potato and radish pieces, stir and cover cook for 3-4 minutes. Add the broad beans and pumpkin. Fold in well.

Add the slitted green chillies, cumin powder and stir well. Cover cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the egg plant pieces, fold in well and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Add sugar and fold in well. Cook for another 2 minutes.

Transfer to a serving bowl. Enjoy with rice or chapati.


12 comments :

  1. Always welcomed is a vegetables, in fact a must daily. This interesting dish I am also welcoming in big ways. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so tempting, cool name of the dish..take care & get well soon dear 😊💜

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mouth-Watering dish, nice clicks..Feeling hungry :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you are feeling better Soma. The vegetable medley looks inviting.

    ReplyDelete