Monday, 30 January 2017

NOTUN GURER ROSHOGOLLA



Though I live in a tropical country, back home it is still winter and people are enjoying all sorts of pithe [steamed and fried snacks] and sweets made of notun / nolen / patali / khejur gur [date palm jaggery]. As said earlier it is available only during winter, so I felt why not do some more favourite sweets with  notun gur  before it goes off the market. I get very small amount of this gur, say about a kilogram only from Kolkata because I have seen refrigerating them for too long hardens it and its unique flavour is lost. In such tropical weather we cannot keep it in normal temperature as it spoils quickly. In such a scenario, I prefer to finish it off quickly preparing goodies for my family. I remember since childhood till date roshogolla and Marie biscuit ruled among all other sweets and biscuits at my parent's home. Oh, cream cracker biscuit too, topped with homemade jelly. Maa used to make guava, mango and pineapple jelly.

Roshogolla / Rasgulla is not something I do on a regular basis, I prefer doing sandesh, ladoo and kheer rather which I find easier. However I feel I need to do roshogolla more often at home because the rasgulla we get here is not that much in taste as back home. While preparing roshogolla, the most famous of all Bengali sweets, my heartbeat gets faster. I am too very tensed thinking will it break while its boiling or not. I have slowly and gradually learnt the tricks of getting it right. Now only practice can get me off the fear. Earlier I blogged on a rose flavoured roshogolla, hence each time while doing it I take the measurements according to it. I have tried to give stepwise pictures for the rosogolla preparation with date palm jaggery. Few of the pictures are repeat ones from earlier post, there is no point taking same picture again and again. Come let us prepare Notun Gurer Roshogolla together..... a winter treat from Bengal.

INGREDIENTS : [for the chena / paneer]
Milk [fresh] : 2lt [I never get good paneer from tetra pack milk]
Lemon Juice : 2tbsp
Ice Cube : 1small cup

INGREDIENTS : [for the jaggery syrup]
Patali Gur : 200gm
Water : 6- 8 coffee mug [while doing rasgullas we cannot allow the syrup to get sticky][the paneer balls should get enough space to move around while boiling]

INGREDIENTS : [for the final thing]
Paneer : As we get
Semolina [suji] : 1tbsp
Baking Powder : 1/2tsp
Jaggery syrup



METHOD :
Pour the milk in a heavy bottomed vessel. Bring to boil, add the lemon juice. As the milk curdles, switch off gas. Add the ice cubes immediately. Let cool.



Strain the whey water through a clean white cloth, tie the cloth with paneer on your kitchen tap. Keep tied for about 40-45 minutes  and take down, untie.



Transfer to a bowl or plate. We need to knead it well.



Keep mashing and kneading for about 15 minutes. Add the semolina and baking powder at this point. Knead for 10 minutes more.



Prepare small balls from the dough. We get about 20-22 roshogolla / rasgulla from the dough.



Break the jaggery further into smaller pieces.



Take 6-8 coffee mugs of water and the date palm jaggery / patali gur in a deep bottomed vessel. Put for boil.


After it boils for 2-3 minutes and the jaggery melts, drop the paneer balls, cover and let boil for 20-24 minutes.



After 20-24 minutes of boiling, they should be done. Transfer carefully to a bowl. Serve warm or chilled as your family prefers.


8 comments :

  1. Delicious and healthy share.. Using Jaggery is much better than sugar as a sweetener!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharmila.... this is again a winter speciality sweet of Bengal...

      Delete
  2. Interesting. Unlike the usual ones, I like this gollas soaking in another kind of syrup. Loved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These rasgollas are healthy and tempting, I have not seen before in jaggery syrup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.. we get this in Bengal only during winters....

      Delete