Monday 4 September 2017

MASALA BABY CORNS WITH MINT-YOGURT-CHILLI CHUTNEY


It is spicy, a little hot, its yum and what not? I bet you will love it ... with or without your chilled beer but tea / coffee is a must. How come the most confused woman on earth sounds confident today... thats because the two carnivores at home loved it besides the grilled tandoori fish .... I was surprised to see them eating quite a few. Did I say we had some guests this weekend including two elderly people? I remember I did .... the main course had to be authentic Bengali with doi-shorshe bata ilish, tomato diye katla mach, motorshuti diye mutton keema, moong er dal, ilisher matha diye chalkumror ghonto, chal diye aloo-potol, tomato-khejurer chutney and there was a big begun aka eggplant to be batter fried just before they sit for dinner.... and I totally forgot about it .... We got engrossed in chatting with the elderly couple meeting after 10 years perhaps.... 

Then this old couple has a son... the brother some Kaushik Neogi ..... whose happening wife Gargi is my paa-in-law's childhood friend's daughter ..... yes you have guessed it right .... the two met in our marriage, and there was a Bollywood kind of chasing the dream which finally came true and now they are blessed with a son.... a ninth grader. I told earlier some of these guys were my support when I was learning to cook, the food connoisseur he is, given his mom / aunts / mom-in-law and wife too been wonderful cooks .... I had to be extra cautious while setting the menu and cooking. 

Kaushik told his parents his boudi has a food blog, hence I did not want to go Bengali for the starters too, I had to prove I represent India at large and beyond. Besides that, I wished to prepare some easy to make, guilt free starters so that the old people can eat the main course properly. We get fresh, delicate baby corns in the island, this time my pick for the vegetarian finger food was this besides tandoori fish and a salad .... that sounds less as my appetiser platter is little more when there are more guests. Anyway, instead of batter frying them deep, I cooked them in the oven at grill option..... and yessssss ..... using only two tablespoon oil. You can either thank me or curse me for not remaining a true Bong.... either way I am ok.... I do what I wish to.

We went for a Bengali movie though on Saturday evening, named Rokto Korobi, done in a modern scenario, it is loosely based on  Tagore's Rokto Korobi .... after the movie, the senior told the director he was bold enough to do a movie as this.... he was taking questions from the audience and told he had to be bold when he was making an anti-establishment movie ... he narrated how difficult it is to reach more and more audience with such films, there is opposition from the urban quarters, all quarters rather . As usual our movie going partners are Ipsita and Soumya ... a well read and well informed couple. We went for a dinner to an Arab Street joint... that is when my man told his wifey is mentally unstable.... our friends got so upset with my man... hihi... I asked them to stay cool... I am nearly there... I am generally indulgent with people who enjoy me cooked food. I was too much into a love making scenario with the mezze platter and kunefe... oh what a bliss!... Each time I have them I am floored... the only guilt was not having the sons with us. 

I do not take my man seriously.... I have a habit of dozing for the first ten minutes in the movie hall loving the dark, cool ambience.... it was this husband who told me to wake up, that I will love this movie..... its a love triangle while watching Baji Rao Mastani... can you really get angry with such people? You will definitely prepare some butter-garlic baby naan instead to go with the left over mutton keema while writing this post. In between mezze platter and kunefe, there were some kebabs too which are not attracting me too much of late...  I prefer spice coated meat... the South Asian way or batter fried boneless pieces coated with sauces... the South East Asian way... killing totally the raw smell. 

It is 11:30 pm at night and I am still writing this post... I sincerely need to go for an early morning brisk walk tomorrow and then to the gym before posting this quick, easy, full of yum, spicy baby corns grilled in a microwave and served with a mint-yogurt-chilli chutney. The guilt of having the heavenly kunefe on a bed of cream has to be lessened .... .... Come let us buy some fresh baby corns asap and get - set - go with the recipe.


INGREDIENTS : [for the masala baby corns]

Baby Corn : 15-20
Plain Yogurt : 2tbsp [beaten]
Corn Flour : 1tbsp
Gram Flour : 1tbsp
Red Chilli Powder : 2tsp
Cumin Powder : 1tsp [I use homemade]
Coriander Powder : 1tsp [I use homemade]
Garam Masala Powder: 1/2tsp [I use Everest Brand]
Lemon Juice : 3-4tbsp
Salt : As Required
Oil : 2tbsp [I use mustard for a nice colour]

INGREDIENTS : [for the mint-yogurt-chilli chutney]

Plain Yogurt : 100gm [I used Nestle Brand this time, I make it at home otherwise]
Mint Leaves : 12-15
Green Chilli : 2
Sugar : 1/2tsp
Black Salt : 3-4pinches

METHOD :

Wash the baby corns and marinate with beaten plain yogurt, red chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, lemon juice, salt and the oil. Keep aside covered for about 15-20 minutes.

After about 20 minutes, grease an oven proof plate with few drops of oil. Rub the marinated baby corns with corn flour and gram flour, then  arrange them on the plate,pour the entire marinade on them.


Place the plate on the high tool and cook in the grill option for 8-10 minutes. Turn over and cook for another 6-8 minutes. We are done.


For the Mint-Yogurt-Chilli Chutney, take all the ingredients in a blender and blend to a smooth paste. Always serve chilled, hence we need to prepare it much ahead of having it.

Serve the Masala Baby Corns and Mint-Yogurt-Chilli Chutney together and see happy faces around. Once done they should be had fresh, the chutney can be refrigerated up to 2 days.

No comments :

Post a Comment