Friday 6 April 2018

CHICKEN SPRING ROLL & SPICY PRAWN



There is practically no fixed tea time at this home except for the weekends, though tea happens even at 9 pm and several cups in between at the office may be. Tea starts with an empty stomach assisted by packets of cigars..... All the health warnings I get to go through around only aggravates my tension without any impact on the concerned person ..... one who is not in the habit of taking instructions ..... good or bad ..... an inherited character trait you hardly can change!.... Deep fried spring rolls are not a big deal at this home ..... To console myself, I have such food with a big bowl of salad... not that less in amount as you see in the picture. I am not a saint either, I cannot start the morning with seeds and nuts and end it with pot roasts each and every day!.... I am fond of them who do it as much as I am fond of fries and fritters .... they continue to get royal treat at this home. The impossible to control man came back yesterday and mumma, son and Cristine didi had this snack duo for dinner two days back, that too at 11pm .... sounds pretty unhealthy.... right? 

Since it was decided that happiness should be the prime at this home, I give in and prepare this CHICKEN SPRING ROLL & SPICY PRAWN without much of guilt.... When we do not have much to say in self defence.... we prefer to leave it on the Almighty! People like me live in a glass paradise, what else? I came through a news yesterday.... a minor girl was raped for a couple of months, got pregnant.... was forced to go for an abortion and was handed over the foetus to throw it somewhere.... Try to imagine the "lovely" scenario .... and mind it .... it is not an one of case.... Since women are not a "sacred creature".... you will not see people storming the social media on such issues. Good is that the girl did not throw the foetus but straightaway reached the police station with it accompanied by the mother and lodges a complain.... she gets justice or not.... she lodged a complaint.... rest of the news around lost importance to me as compared to her bravery! What is bad?..... 

Sitting far off  in a glass paradise and giving big talks.... The self centric self got used to a secured life .... she is a mother too and does not hesitate to insist her husband saying that she does not want her son to go back to any kind of uncertainty and disturbance. No wonder the husband will say that his wife's demands are much higher than an average woman... not limited to a Christian Dior lipstick or eyeliner or a Gucci bag .... then what?....The husband & son have to keep moving upwardly! She may seem to you as a superfluous character.... I do not mind .... I have stopped responding to those pages.... Milaap, Care India and rest.... they need financial assistance and not likes or big talks! I do what makes me happy.... click, eat, cook and share! You can see that dustbin is unwanted here but it is indispensable in life.... "poetry & reality".... both are required!



After a walk, this mango-aloevera juice was refreshening.... I cannot have these regularly as they are sweetened.... I stick to my share of Olong and Ayataka tea and get into an awkward feeling... are the roots loosening?.... When I jumped at the sight of a fresh ilish yesterday and got it too at a reasonable price, I felt I need not tense much. Looking at the pictures of "chalter dal to kechki maacher chocchori".... I thought when do I actually blog about them? Oh God, I feel uncomfortable with tight hugs, giving in myself to any one in "particular".... No one should "own" anyone.... at least they should not be in a dilemma that they own me... I make it clear.... very clear these days! It is good to express your views in public.... political or otherwise..... but until when we are doing it in a decent manner.... I see around "indecent" ones full of "wrong" informations .... everyone is a "doctorate" these days.... like if I start talking about Isro or Nasa in public.... will it not be an indecent take?.... Who gave us the right to talk  about something we do not know 1/4 of... I strongly felt that wearing a swim suit and  posting pictures in public is perhaps less vulgar than posting wrong informations that breed hatred!... My glass paradise is better.... walking, clicking and eating.... I keep on telling my brother to be what he actually is... eat biryani & phuchka, play cricket, watch F1.... I find his wife a justifiable woman as compared to some! I guarded him as a mother... not to see him talk nonsense! A spring roll for my love for him and spicy prawns for loosing his mind at times!

The husband is at home, yep we are changing our television console and crockery unit... I am sitting in an unruly atmosphere with everything scattered around.... I do not even know what I am writing.... I am not bothered either.... the preface of my recipe shares are always irrelevant.... No, I am not excited at the arrival of new furnitures, my readers know I like handloom wears, bamboo & roughly polished wooden furnitures, terracotta pieces, rugs!.... We had to change, so we did! Better I share this snack duo CHICKEN SPRING ROLL & SPICY PRAWN that became an instant hit at this home.... My readers know that I am not good at artistry, rolling pastry sheets perfectly and all do not come to me naturally! The entire credit of rolling the pastry goes to our Cristine. I could not take the stepwise pictures properly as it was 9pm when I started! I went for my walk, took a look at the Facebook stream and all of a sudden decided that I will not go Bengali next, I have about ten Bengali recipes waiting to be shared right now! I will show some love to my second home without ignoring the rest.... 

Well with pure vegetarians.... at times I am really helpless, I am not a person with brain.... so excuse me.... shall get back to you as soon as possible. Do not expect me to prepare authentic Oriental spring rolls.... I did it my way.... We can do any experiment with prawns.... it was done in half an hour! I prepared it in oven, you can do it on stove top! So that is what happened.... the lady went for a walk.... on the way back gets some fresh prawns and spring roll pastry sheets.... prepares a snack combo of CHICKEN SPRING ROLL & SPICY PRAWN .... serves and have dinner at 11pm.... goes to the gym next morning with zero output.... There is a good news too .... the sugar level has slightly gone down... perhaps with the touch of old doctor Chang.... he was there day before yesterday with all his warmth.... "Come on S, Tarzan lived in a jungle and had nothing to eat but fruits.... even I cannot resist Biryani.... that too a plateful".... He is around 80 and still working!


INGREDIENTS : [for the Spicy Prawn]

Prawn : 300-500gm [de shell with tail on, wash]
Cumin Powder : 1tsp
Coriander Powder : 1/2tsp
Aamchur Powder : 1/2tsp [dry mango powder]
Red Chilli Powder : 1/3tsp
Garam Masala Powder : 1/3tsp
Lemon Juice : 1tbsp
Salt : As Required
Oil : 2tbsp [I used mustard for a red colour]

INGREDIENTS : [for the Chicken Spring Roll]

Minced Chicken : 250-300gm
Spring Roll Pastry Sheet : 12-15
Onion : 1medium [peeled, sliced, washed]
Green Chilli : 2 [chopped, washed] [optional]
Lettuce : 1medium cup [chopped,washed]
Black Pepper Powder : 1tsp
Soya Sauce : 1tbsp
Salt : A little
Turmeric Powder : 1/4 tsp [you can skip]
Red Chilli Powder : 1/2 tsp [you can skip]
Oil : To deep fry

PROCEDURE :


Clean & de-shell the prawns, wash well! We skip the prawn heads, you keep it!

Marinate the washed prawns with all the ingredients and keep aside for 10-12 minutes.

Arrange them in a greased oven proof plate.

I placed the low wired rack inside my convection mode microwave oven.

I cooked one side for 8 minutes in the microwave+grill option, turned over and cooked for 5 minutes, the other side. We are done.


For the Chicken Spring Rolls, we required 1 hour.


Let us prepare the filling first.

Wash the minced chicken through a strainer and marinate with very little salt for about 15-20 minutes.

Heat the oil in a wok, temper with minced garlic. Stir for 1/2 a minute.

Add the sliced onion and stir till translucent. Add the minced chicken, stir and cook covered at medium heat for 10 minutes.

Open cover and add the soya sauce, black pepper powder, and very little salt. I have used a little of turmeric & red chilli powders, you can skip them! Stir cook at high heat for 3-4 minutes till all the water dries up....

Add the shredded lettuce and stir for half a minute. The filling for chicken spring roll is ready.... let it cool for a bit.

Place a pastry sheet on a base in a diamond shape.

Add  the filling at one end. Roll half, fold little from the two sides, complete the roll.

Press the ends with water.


Heat enough oil for deep fry the spring rolls. We will fry them in batches.

Do not let them burn, so be careful with the heat level. Once done, which will take way less time, transfer on to a tissue paper before serving...

We enjoyed the combo snack deal with some spicy oven cooked potatoes, for dinner.



No comments :

Post a Comment