Friday 25 January 2019

KHOYA NARKOL ER PUR BHORA GUR ER PATISHAPTA


This is the kind of food I can never stop loving. My kitchen cannot transfer onto a soup & salad counter totally. Do not tell me I can give these big talks as I am a sit at home worthless. My friend Paramita Ghosal teaches IG level English at an Indian International School and cooks Kochur Shaak to Echor er Dalna after a hard day at school. These days, private school teachers' work life no more remain easy as it had been earlier. Our kids are benefitted that is true but I find it absolutely unnecessary to over burden the Teachers with excessive paper work. Unlike Paramita, I am not too rigid about accepting different kinds. I am a good friend of a health enthusiast Ipsita too who makes awesome Asian salads. On her advice, I got that special cutter used in Thai salads.... enjoying my greens with raw radish & carrot cut in strips! I came across a you tube video recently about Kabuli Lamb Pulao that uses strips of carrot in it similar to Oshi Pulao.... waiting to prepare it sooner... happy to find a way to feed my men some carrot... haha! This home is not divided over food preferences in that extreme sense.... if the men eat broccoli hidden in layers of pasta & cheese, I would par boil the broccoli, fry some cubed potatoes and cook them in a "jomati shorshe-kancha lanka-narkol bata" and serve with "fulko ruti" or steamed rice. If you provoke me too much, "shutki diye broccoli redhe blog e jhuliye debo".... As I always say I am not a rigid person, so I will go up with something today that is Bengali in essence and can be enjoyed by a majority in the world... KHOYA NARKOL ER PUR BHORA GUR ER PATISHAPTA.

It is a Friday again, people in India are still basking in the winter sun .... West Bengal is having breakfast with "pithepuli".... I wished to share a sweetmeat today that many of you may wish to try in your kitchen. I did them yesterday morning, not much time is required in the preparation because we are using instantly made khoya / semi solid milk & desiccated coconut as the stuffing! The son had set out for his school's Annual Day event around 1pm yesterday, the daddy is due home today, there was no elaborate lunch preparations yesterday as such.... mumma went out for a walk and had her lunch outside. What? Chicken and green vegetables without rice. The problem is that she ends up eating "pithe puli, bhaat" by night! Cristine cooked our dinner yesterday... "dimer jhol, mushur dal sheddo, ucche kumro bhaja for us & aloo sheddo for the son"... I need some rice with them! In the evening, Mumma went to watch the concert... Ipsita found it easier to drive her own car instead of guiding me every minute... S turn right and then left... now head straight! Well, Soumya too drove half way... each time he is on the driver's seat, I doubt if I can get to have my next meal or not! That pain of guiding me to drive will only be taken by the husband .... so a KHOYA NARKOL ER PUR BHORA GUR ER PATISHAPTA should await his arrival.






I am a Bollywood fan, I really did not get what that "Light Music" was, neither could see the son dancing in that dark. That is where the husband scolds .... S, you had been there to watch many a kids' performance... stop aiming your son alone and click. I too get irritated when he does not reach in time in any of the school's cultural events. We bond over "pithe-puli" though! Hence, prepared these egg free, Bengali pancakes using semolina, rice flour, refined flour, instantly made khoya kheer, desiccated coconut, sugar, date-palm jaggery! Let us do it!



INGREDIENTS [FOR THE INSTANTLY MADE SEMI SOLID MILK]

POWDERED MILK : 1COFFEE MUG
WHOLE MILK : 1/2 SMALL TEA CUP
GHEE / CLARIFIED BUTTER : 2TBSP

INGREDIENTS FOR THE BENGALI PANCAKE]

PATALI GUR / DATE PALM JAGGERY : 100-150GM [GRATED]
SEMOLINA : 2 MEDIUM SIZED TEA CUP
RICE FLOUR : 11/2 SMALL TEA CUP
REFINED FLOUR : 1/2 SMALL TEA CUP
WATER OR MILK : AS REQUIRED FOR A SEMI THICK BATTER

INGREDIENTS [FOR THE FINISHED PATISHAPTA]

THE SEMI SOLID MILK
THE PANCAKE BATTER
DESICCATED COCONUT : 1/3 OF A SMALL TEA CUP
SUGAR : 2TBSP [ADJUST AS PER PREFERENCE]
OIL : 3-4 DROPS + 2 DROPS FOR EVERY 4-5 PANCAKES WE DO!

PROCEDURE :

For the instantly made khoya / semi solid milk, take the powdered milk, whole milk and the ghee / clarified butter in a bigger than the content bowl. Mix well.

Microwave at high for a minute. Give a stir and microwave for another minute. Stir again and microwave for another 30 seconds.

Take out and let cool.


Once cool, add the desiccated coconut & sugar to the bowl and mix well.



While the khoya kheer was cooling, we soaked the semolina in water. Alternatively, you can use milk too. Let it rest for 40-45 minutes.


Now add the refined flour and rice flour, 3-4 drops of oil to the batter. Keep adding water or milk little by little if required. Mix well.

Add the patali gur / jaggery that we have already grated.


Keep mixing until we get a smooth, semi thick batter devoid of lumps.


We are ready for the final step lah!



For my convenience and to remain free of discrimination, I divide the khoya kheer & desiccated coconut filling in equal portions, haha!

Once the pan is hot, add 2 drops of oil to it and spread well. Wipe lightly with a clean cloth. We will do this after 4-5 patishapta being done.

Pour a big spoon of batter and spread immediately with the back it.

Let it cook for 1/2 a minute at the lowest heat.



Now place a portion of the stuffing just in the middle.


Fold in from both the sides and take out.


Have it warm with cups of black tea or coffee, a majority of Bengali would love to have it stale the next day!







No comments :

Post a Comment