Monday, 25 August 2014

SHORSHE RUI (BUFFALO CARP IN MUSTARD PASTE)



Rohu, Rui, Buffalo Carp......whatever you call, what's in a name? It brings back a lot of childhood memories. Long long back when my forefathers migrated from East Bengal, nowBangladesh , they left behind everything ....their home,dreams.....in a word.....their motherland. But one thing they brought with them......their love for fresh water fish and the expertise of cooking it in innumerable ways, from simplest to complex ones, at times as simple as using only chilli paste. I remember when I was as young as 6 or 8 years old, my grandfather used to come back from the market, take out the fish from the bag, and oh.....how I enjoyed watching the fish jumping . Separating the fish from the bones at every meal was a thing of Joy. Today when my son asks for boneless fish, I feel I am facing identity crisis. I am too firm on having predominance of simple but authentic Bengali home cooked food at my home, my burger/pizza loving son likes it or not.

       Before I start to bore you with history and origin of fish and it's importance in a Bengali household, I have to go with the recipe now. This recipe of Mustard Rohu requires very little spices and labour. So you can really go with it while watching a movie. Let us do it together.

INGREDIENTS :
Rohu ( Buffalo Carp ) : 8 pieces (cut from a standard size....over 3 kg weighing fish )
Black Mustard Seeds : 1 1/2 tablespoon.
Green Chillies : 6 to 7 ( be generous please, hahaha)
Mustard Oil : 4 tablespoon.
Salt : As per taste
Turmeric : 1/2 tsp.

PROCEDURE :

 Wash the fish pieces and mix with salt and turmeric. Keep aside for atleast 15 minutes.

Wash themustard seeds in a strainer. In a grinder put together the black mustard seeds, green chillies, little salt,little water and get a paste out of it. Be careful about the amount of water, the spice mix should not be watery but creamy. Do not forget to add the salt before grinding ,otherwise the mustard paste will turn bitter.

Now arrange the fish pieces nicely in an oven proof dish. Pour in the mustard paste and the oil. Coat the fish pieces  very well. Remember no water is required in this recipe. Cover with aluminium foil. Keep standing for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

Preheat the oven. Place the low tool inside, over it the dish. Put the oven in convection mode. Cook at 160 degree centigrade for 40 to 45 minutes. Let it stand inside for 10- 15 minutes after it's done.
   
Isn't it that easy? This recipe I am posting for my fish loving non-Bengali friends. Enjoy with steamed rice.


No comments :

Post a Comment