Wednesday 27 August 2014

EGGLESS SPONGE CAKE


Before I start writing anything today , let me make an honest confession. I am not so good at baking, rather at dressing to be precise. I feel desserts are an integral part of a meal. I started to love and explore through desserts more after I was diagnosed with diabetes. As they say, whatever is forbidden, attracts the most.
I thought of posting a vegetarian recipe today before my vegetarian friends pounce on me. So here goes an eggless sponge cake.

INGREDIENTS
Refined flour : 1 cup
Sugar : 1 cup
Baking Powder : 1 tsp
Baking Soda : 1/2 tsp
Vanilla Essence : 1 tsp
Milk : 1 cup
Unsalted Butter : 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoon.

A pinch of salt

TOPPINGS
I used chilled Banana Custard and slices of strawberries and black grapes.

PROCEDURE
Sieve together the flour, baking powder,baking soda, salt nicely. Keep aside. Place the butter in a microwave safe bowl and microwave at low for 20 seconds. Let it cool. Put the butter and sugar in a blender.Blend till smooth and light. Pour in the milk and vanilla essence. Blend well. Now put in the flour in the blender slowly, 2 tablespoon at a time. Blend well each time. Finally, the mixture should be creamy and fluffy.
Grease a round cake tin with oil and dust some refined flour. This helps the cake to come out smoothly without breaking. Pour in the cake mix. Preheat the oven at 180 degree centigrade. Set the oven at convection mode. Bake first 20 minutes at 180 degree centigrade and then at 150 degree centigrade for another 20 minutes. Insert a fork in the middle of the cake to check whether it's done or not. If done the fork will come out clean. After it's done let it stand for few minutes. Then take out and let cool completely. Put the cake tin upside down on a plate, it will come out smoothly.
For topping I poured in chilled banana custard and sliced strawberries and grapes. At my home too much of icing sugar is not entertained. Throughout the internet, you are spoilt for choices of toppings. Take the liberty to choose as you wish.
Here I stop today with the promise of coming up with some Bengali desserts in due course. Meanwhile, bake your cake and enjoy !

No comments :

Post a Comment