Tuesday, 27 October 2015

NARKOL TAKTI


Kojagari Lakshmi Pujo at so many homes today, I also do it in my own small way ever since I moved abroad. These are the rituals, customs we have grown up watching. The smell of dhoop-dhuno[incense], camphor mixed jaggery n coconut being cooked, of freshly cut fruits, of bhog er khichuri.... of chandan smeared flowers..... all taken together.... it was a heavenly atmosphere. All these memories are fresh in my mind. I try to follow them as far as possible though not with the same expertise.

For today, narkol naru is a must. I remember so many variety of it was made. Naru, takti, chacher sandesh. Chach are designer shapes in which we place the cooked jaggery and coconut mix and carefully take them out. On my next visit to India I need to buy some otherwise will steal my mom's which are about 40 years old. Today I made some Narkol Takti. They are just another variant of naru, a bit harder, we cook it more to get this consistency. Tiler Takti was done too but I am yet too master on that. Now let us prepare the Narcoler Takti which requires only 2 main ingredients and a bit of patience.

INGREDIENTS :
Coconut[shredded] : 300 gm or of one coconut.
Jaggery : 150gm
Sugar : 2tbsp
Camphor Tablet : 1[alternatively 1/2 tsp cardamom powder]
Water : 1 big cup

METHOD
Put a wok on the oven. Add the water and jaggery to it. Add the camphor tablet and let boil till it reduces and gets sticky. This may take 10-15 minutes at low heat.

Add the shredded coconut and sugar, fold in well. Keep stirring continuously, the coconut will release a lot of water.

We have to let it cook till the water dries up and it reaches a sticky consistency. We will cook little more... say 3-5 minutes extra as we are preparing takti and not naru.

Transfer to a plate. Let cool a bit, shape into balls and then flatten between your two palms.

They will be a bit harder and chewy than naru. We can store them in jars up to 7 days in a refrigerator.....





4 comments :

  1. Wow Soma I love the authentic dishes and it looks really tempting :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jolly for the appreciations...always will be...

      Delete
  2. This sweet is new to me, but looks super exotic. I wish I could have 3-4 of these right now! YUMMY! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anupama ....always you are appreciative...

      Delete