Saturday 31 October 2015

MUTTON ROLL


If I am far from my home, I will bring it close to me and enliven it in my kitchen. Thats the way I feel. I miss Kolkata street food, the lip smacking rolls, chaats, phuchka. Can I wait for my visits to Kolkata to have them? Very difficult for a foodie like me, so I try to recreate them in my kitchen. Whenever I do them I get lost in those days, 2 friends sharing one roll most of the time. Sharing was caring then too. I remember how me and my brother urged mom to buy us rolls and cutlets and she denied street food most of the time. Once in college, the free birds had them often.

Can I do them accurately as the Kolkata street vendors? No, I dare not claim that. But my family is happy with mine. According to my mom it was our stupidity to like those unhygienically made stuffs. Moms everywhere forget their childhood.... no point arguing on that. Its better to concentrate on preparing Mutton Rolls closer to  how it is made in Badshah or Campari... We do it in 2 parts.... first the dry mutton curry and then the parathas. Finally assembling everything and roll it in. Lets do it.

INGREDIENTS :[for the dry  mutton]
Mutton : 500gm
Ginger[minced] : 1tsp
Garlic[minced] : 1tbsp
Onion[sliced] : 2medium
Red Chilli Powder : 1tsp
Coriander Powder : 1tsp
Cinnamon Powder : 1/4tsp
Cardamom Powder : 4pinches
Vinegar : 3tbsp
Turmeric Powder : 1tsp
Salt : As required
Oil : 4tbsp

Ingredients :[for the paratha]
Refined Flour : 2cups
Salt : 2-3 pinches
Water : As required
Oil : 1tsp for each paratha + 1tbsp for the dough

INGREDIENTS :[Final Assembling]
Onion : 1[cubed]
Cucumber : 1[diced]
Green Chilli : 2[chopped]

METHOD :

THE MUTTON:

Let us cook the mutton first. Get it cut into small pieces.

Wash the mutton pieces and marinate with vinegar, salt, turmeric and oil as much required. Refrigerate overnight.

Next morning take it out 1 hr before cooking. Heat oil in a wok. Add the sliced onions.

As they turn golden brown, add the minced garlic and ginger. Saute well for 2-3 minutes.

Add the red chilli, turmeric, salt, coriander powder and saute for 1/2 a minute.

Add the marinated mutton, stir and cover cook in slow fire till all the water dries up. We need to stir every 5 minutes.

Add the cinnamon and cardamom powder , stir and cook for another 2-3 minutes.

THE PARATHA:

Let us prepare the dough.

Take the flour in a bowl. Add salt n oil, rub for 2-3 minutes.

Add water little by little and keep on rubbing till a soft yet firm dough is formed.

Keep covered for 1/2 an hour with an wet cloth.

Remove and shape into medium roundels.

Roll out into round paratha shapes with help of a rolling pin.

In a frying pan[tawa] fry each paratha with 1tsp oil.

FINAL ASSEMBLING :
Place the paratha in a plate. Add few pieces of mutton.

Top with cubed onions and cucumber, chopped green chillies.

Fold from both sides well. Enjoy.





No comments :

Post a Comment