Friday 13 November 2015

BREAD GULAB JAMUN





Today is Bhai Phota; a day when all sisters pray for their brother's life long health and prosperity. This is the day I miss my brother a lot. I remember my brother was five years old when I started giving 'phota' to him[a dot on his forehead wishing him good luck, good health]. It was quite a celebration at our home then, some of my cousin brothers, my maternal uncles all used to be together at one place, sweets, elaborate lunch menu, smell of incense, diyas, crackers in the evening..... a very pious, divine and joyous atmosphere altogether. I think of those golden days and relive the moments.

Ever since I relocated to another country; an island city far from home, I miss my brother the most on this day. I send rakhi to him through post but no way to send phota that way. I religiously call him this day and exchange some comforting words. This is same with many a sisters I know. Thought of sharing a simple sweet made in a jiffy on this occasion. I learnt this recipe of bread gulab jamun after going through a number of similar recipes in the internet. What attracted me is the simplicity of the ingredients in doing the same. Let us do it together.




INGREDIENTS :

Bread : 8pieces
Milk[boiled]  : 2 cups
Milk Powder : 1tbsp
Sugar : 1 small cup + 1tsp
Baking Soda : A pinch[optional]
Water : 2 small cups
Green Cardamom : 3-4
Oil : 1cup.

METHOD :

Boil the milk for about 10 minutes stirring in between, let cool.

Cut the sides of the bread slices and dip in the milk. Take out and squeeze, keep in a wide mouthed bowl.

Add 1tsp sugar and 1tbsp milk powder. Knead very well and shape into balls.

Heat oil in a wok. Simultaneously in another burner boil 1 cup sugar with 2 cups of water. Add the green cardamoms to it. Cook till its a bit sticky.

Fry the balls till brown and dip into the sugar syrup. Let them boil for 5-6 minutes; switch off the gas stove. Keep them soaked for at least 2-3 hours before serving.

Serve warm!!








No comments :

Post a Comment