Friday, 29 January 2016

DUBKI WALE ALOO OF MATHURA WITH HING ER KOCHURI


This was in my to do list for long. The very word Dubki Wale Aloo was alluring me like anything. Whether we are allowed to have it or not, the majority of us love to have it, in any form. Whether it is a curry or mashed or fry, we love it. I think it is true with the whole world, only the way of cooking is different. I stopped by this recipe while surfing the net, the experience was quite enriching. So many have made their own contribution to the recipe. The authenticity may not be retained always because each has their own addition and subtraction to a recipe. On the contrary, we get to learn so much. Bringing innovations in an already existing recipe is a great thing to me.

To get an authentic feel and taste, we really need to be in Mathura it self. We need to stop by a road side shop, sit on the wooden bench and enjoy Mathura ki Dubki Hui Aloo with hot pooris. While reading the recipes, I was already in Mathura in my dreams, the birth place of Lord Krishna. Myth or truth is not important here as much as the faith or belief. I don't like arguments, perhaps because of my escapist nature. I just stick to my belief/faith. I was only 8 years old when I visited Mathura, remotely remember the temples I visited. I might have tasted dubki wale aloo but I do not remember. After going through the recipes, I really wish to visit once again. For my love of history, I love to visit ancient cities, read and learn about it, even listen to the myths from the locals that have come down for generations and imagine myself in that era.

I prepared this Mathura ki dubki aloo with little changes. I cannot always take the strong smell of ginger powder, so skipped it this time. I used a small tomato and also squeezed juice of a lemon on top. Just loved it. I served it with Hing Kachuri, done in the Bengali way, for which I provided  stepwise pictures. Let us see how we do it.

INGREDIENTS :[for the kachuri]
Refined Flour : 2cups
Whole Wheat Flour : 1cup
Urad Dal : 1 small cup
Ghee[clarified butter] : 1tbsp
Salt : As required
Green Chilli : 2
Ginger Paste : 1tsp
Cumin Seeds : 2pinches
Turmeric Powder : 1/2tsp
Red Chilli Powder : 1/4tsp
Asafoetida : 1/2tsp
Oil : 150ml[to fry the kachuri]

INGREDIENTS :[for the aloo sabzi]
Potato : 3-4
Tomato : 1[chopped]
Asafoetida : 1/4tsp
Cumin Seeds : 1pinch
Fennel Seeds : 1pinch
Dry Red Chilli : 2[halved]
Green Chilli : 2[slitted]
Cumin Powder : 1/4tsp
Coriander Powder : 1/2tsp
Aamchur Powder : 1/2tsp
Lemon Juice : 1tbsp
Coriander Leaves : 1sprig[chopped]
Oil : 1tbsp

METHOD : 
Soak the urad dal in enough hot water for 2 hours.

Wash, peel, halve and boil the potatoes. Let cool. Cut into big cubes and rub with salt n turmeric.

Heat Oil in a wok. Temper with asafoetida, cumin seeds, fennel seeds and halved dry red chillies.

Add the chopped tomatoes and fry till it melts. Add the potato pieces. Fold in well.

Add the cumin, aamchur, coriander, turmeric powders and salt as required. Saute for a minute.

Add a big cup of water. Let boil for 3-4 minutes. Add the slitted green chillies, chopped coriander leaves and lemon juice. Switch off gas after 1/2 a minute.

Coming to the poori, we will take both the flours in a bowl. Add little salt and ghee. Rub well. Add water little by little and form a soft yet firm dough. Cover with a moist cloth and keep aside for half an hour. Just as below.




Drain the water from the soaked dal and grind into a coarse paste adding the green chillies. Heat oil in a wok and temper with asafoetida, cumin seeds. Add the ginger paste and fry for 2 minutes. Add the red chilli powder. Stir and add the dal paste. Add salt and turmeric and fry till it dries up. Once done, let it cool. It will look as below.



Make round balls from the dough. Make hole in the middle and fill with the dal stuffing. They look as below.



Close the balls and with help of rolling pin shape into poori as seen below.



Heat 150 ml oil in a wok. Fry each poori well on both sides. They should be fluffy as below.



Serve hot with Mathura wale dubki aloo. Enjoy!!



4 comments :

  1. Oh my goodness me this is pure food heaven. I am so drooling at this post of yours. The puffed up Hing kochuri made so beautifully compliments the dubki aloo so well. It would be sheer bliss to tear off a piece of the kochuri and dunk it in the toungue tickling potato curry and then savour it. Even as I am typing this my salivary glands have gone on an overdrive and I am fighting to hold back my mouth from flooding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much my dear expert chef.... Your beautiful words make my dishes worthier Piyali...

      Delete
  2. Mujhe ye title bara interesting laga. I rarely make potato curry for my family but I love it. I will make it for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Balvinder sach mein it is very famous in Mathura.... We are boiling the potato here before adding to curry...so less dangerous.

      Delete