Friday 29 January 2016

DUBKI WALE ALOO OF MATHURA WITH HING ER KOCHURI


This was in my to do list for long. The very word Dubki Wale Aloo was alluring me like anything. Whether we are allowed to have it or not, the majority of us love to have it, in any form. Whether it is a curry or mashed or fry, we love it. I think it is true with the whole world, only the way of cooking is different. I stopped by this recipe while surfing the net, the experience was quite enriching. So many have made their own contribution to the recipe. The authenticity may not be retained always because each has their own addition and subtraction to a recipe. On the contrary, we get to learn so much. Bringing innovations in an already existing recipe is a great thing to me.

To get an authentic feel and taste, we really need to be in Mathura it self. We need to stop by a road side shop, sit on the wooden bench and enjoy Mathura ke Dubki Wale Aloo with hot pooris. While reading the recipes, I was already in Mathura in my dreams, the birth place of Lord Krishna. Myth or truth is not important here as much as the faith or belief. I don't like arguments, perhaps because of my escapist nature. I just stick to my belief / faith. I was only 8 years old when I visited Mathura, remotely remember the temples I visited. I might have tasted dubki wale aloo but I do not remember. After going through the recipes, I really wish to visit once again. For my love of history, I love to visit ancient cities, read and learn about them, even listen to the myths from the locals that have come down for generations and imagine myself in that era.

I prepared this Mathura ke dubki wale aloo with little of changes. I cannot always take the strong smell of ginger powder, so skipped it. I served it with Hing Kachuri / Asafoetida flavoured Lentil Stuffed Puffed Bread!




INGREDIENTS :[for the puffed bread / kochuri]

Refined Flour : 1 coffee mug
Semolina : 1/4 or a little of a coffee mug
Urad Dal / Skinless Split Black Gram Dal : 1 small cup
Salt : As required
Green Chilli : 2
Cumin Seeds : 2pinches
Turmeric Powder : 1/2tsp
Red Chilli Powder : 1/4tsp
Asafoetida : 2 pinches
Oil : As much required to deep fry the puffed bread


INGREDIENTS :[for the potato curry]

Potato : 1 or 2 big
Asafoetida : 2 pinches
Cumin Seeds : 1pinch
Fennel Seeds : 1pinch
Methi Seed : 2 pinches
Dry Red Chilli : 2[halved]
Green Chilli : 2[slitted or chopped]
Cumin Powder : 1/4tsp
Coriander Powder : 1/2tsp
Dry Mango Powder : 1/2tsp
Garam Masala Powder
Coriander Leaves : 1sprig[chopped]
Refined Flour : 1 tbsp
Oil : 1tbsp

METHOD : 

Soak the urad dal / beulir dal in enough hot water for 2 hours.


Wash & boil the potatoes. Let cool. Chop and rub with salt n turmeric.

Heat Oil in a wok. Temper with asafoetida, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, methi seeds, chopped green chillies and halved dry red chillies. I forgot to add the dry red chillies!

Add the potato pieces. Fold in well.

Add the cumin, dry mango, coriander, garam masala, turmeric powders and salt as required. Stir for a minute.








Add a big cup of water. Let boil for 3-4 minutes. Mix together the refined flour and half small teacup of water! Add the chopped coriander leaves, refined flour mixed water and stir! Switch off the gas stove after 1/2 a minute.





Coming to the poori, we will take both the semolina & refined flour, salt & little oil in a bowl. Then we will rub well. We will add water little by little and form a soft yet firm dough. 

We will tear off small portions, smoothen between palms! We will cover the bowl with a moist cloth and keep aside for half an hour. 




Drain the water from the soaked dal and grind into a coarse paste adding the green chillies. Heat oil in a wok and temper with asafoetida, cumin seeds. Add the dal paste, cumin & coriander powders, red chilli powder, salt! Fry until it dries up. Once done, let it cool. It will look as below.






Make hole in the middle of each of the balls and fill in with the dal stuffing. 

Close the balls and with help of rolling pin shape into poori.

Heat enough oil in a wok. Fry each poori well on both sides. They should be fluffy as below.







Enjoy the combo meal fresh & hot!







4 comments :

  1. Oh my goodness me this is pure food heaven. I am so drooling at this post of yours. The puffed up Hing kochuri made so beautifully compliments the dubki aloo so well. It would be sheer bliss to tear off a piece of the kochuri and dunk it in the toungue tickling potato curry and then savour it. Even as I am typing this my salivary glands have gone on an overdrive and I am fighting to hold back my mouth from flooding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much my dear expert chef.... Your beautiful words make my dishes worthier Piyali...

      Delete
  2. Mujhe ye title bara interesting laga. I rarely make potato curry for my family but I love it. I will make it for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Balvinder sach mein it is very famous in Mathura.... We are boiling the potato here before adding to curry...so less dangerous.

      Delete