Monday 18 January 2016

MATAR MUSHROOM



Mushroom is something we never had in India. I was so scared to buy it and ended up identifying it with 'byanger chata', meaning frog's umbrella which is very very poisonous. What aggravated the fear was the news of people dying eating poisonous "byanger chata" considering it as mushroom in the interiors of Bengal. So I never bought them. After shifting to this island, I was awestruck to see so many variety of mushrooms and the health benefits they have. I gradually started including it on our diet. Yet I failed to persuade my very choosy about food pa-in-law to have it, haha. He still has serious doubts about it. We get very good quality mushrooms in the supermarkets of India. I would still suggest not to buy it from the street markets there, rather I can say that about Kolkata.

I prefer Indian Curries with mushrooms. I incorporate them in my salads too. I am yet to learn the creamy homemade mushroom sauce. I have gone through some really good recipes of that, may be soon. This recipe I have done very simply with our regular Indian spices and sliced mushrooms. Most of its variety is unknown to me, hence I prefer doing it with sliced button mushroom. Let us do it.



INGREDIENTS :
Button Mushroom[sliced] : 250gm
Tomato : 1medium
Green Peas : 1/2 medium cup
Onion : 1medium
Milk : 1/2small cup
Fenugreek Powder : 4pinches
Coriander Powder : 1tsp
Garam Masala Powder : 11/2tsp
Red Chilli Powder : 1tsp
Turmeric Powder : 1tsp
Ginger Paste : 1/2tsp
Garlic Paste : 1/4tsp
Salt : As required
Cumin Seeds : 3pinches
Oil : 2tbsp

METHOD :

Heat oil in a pan. Wash the green peas and mushrooms and apply little salt. Add to the oil and saute lightly at low heat. Take out and keep aside.

Wash, chop and prepare a paste with the tomato. Temper oil with cumin seeds. Add the sliced onions. Fry till brown. Add the ginger and garlic paste and fry for 2 minutes.

Add the tomato paste, and saute till it separates from the oil. Add salt, fenugreek powder, turmeric powder, chilli powder and coriander powder and saute for a minute.

Add 1 medium cup water and bring to boil. Let boil for 2-3 minutes. Add the lightly sautéed green peas and mushrooms. Let cook for 1 minute. Add the milk and garam masala powder, stir. Cook for another 1 minute. Its done.

Enjoy with any kind of flatbreads or cumin tempered rice!!






3 comments :

  1. A spicy Indian curry prepared with mushrooms and green peas that goes very well with South Asian Flatbreads and cumin tempered rice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The same story with many of us regarding mushroom. I don't remember having mushrooms until a few years back. Have no childhood memories of eating mushrooms, but the small white umbrella shaped things which popped up after the rains were indeed called Banger Chata. They were there in my chora books too. Coming to the curry it is one hearty, delicious curry which I would love to have with Pulko ruti and kacha Pyaaz. Darun hoeychey dekhtey . Makes for a wonderful lunch or dinner option.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Piyali so much.... Banger Chata dekhtey chotobelai bhalobashtam, onek shomoy o diye ranna batio khelechi.Unfortunately desher remote anchale akhono manush bhul korey kheye feley abong ki hoy jani amra.

      Delete