Thursday, 10 November 2016

DANADER


Danader ...... a lesser known sweet from my hometown. It hardly has a pedigree, yet I chose to prepare it simply because I used to love having it once upon a time. I remember how I loved having fried sweets and the amount of scolding I used to get for an unhealthy tastebud. At our house only rasgulla was considered as a 'healthy sweet', just as marie and cream cracker in the biscuit clan. The sibling duo craved for cream filled biscuits at times which were rarely allowed to us. Whenever mom sent me to the sweet shop to buy rasgulla and sandesh, I craved to have this danader. At times, I could not resist from buying me two, knowing the rest at home will not eat it. I loved to eat, so scolding did not affect me much when it came to food. I was threatened with fear of anything, from worms to early death. At this stage of life, I feel I could have been a little more wise and listen to what mom had to say. Wish I could rewind and correct few actions of mine.... I remember reading 'Chander Pahar' the evening before Chemistry exam.... always failed to understand what railways has to do with maths ..... I rather loved travelling in train, sitting beside the window and watching the wonders of nature passing by. The fat, old lady continues to be a dreamer, lost in her own small world of fantasy... in spite of someone saying S.... there is something called reality.... remove the headphone and come down.... She giggles ....... I married you to handle the harsh reality on my behalf.... undaunted... she makes her way to the kitchen singing .... dil hai chota sa.... choti si asha....

This Danader is no way similar to rasgulla, but much harder in texture and sugary in taste. One who really has a sweet tooth will love it. Authentically this sweet is not served with sugar syrup as seen in this picture but rolled in sugar once done and served. I felt that will be too much to roll it on sugar, hence I skipped doing it. While serving individually, I skipped adding the sugar syrup too. For the recipe I had drawn inspiration from GEOCITIES.ws , though not followed them thoroughly. I had to keep in mind that unlike rasgulla, we will fry the sweet before adding to boiling sugar syrup yet they should not turn brown on frying like gulabjamun. The garnish is absolutely unnecessary, I did it as I wished to. Let us prepare the danader together.

Recipe Inspiration : GEOCITIES.ws

INGREDIENTS : [for homemade paneer]
Fat Free Milk : 2lt
Vinegar : 2tbsp
Ice Cubes : 1small cup

INGREDIENTS : [the finished product]
Paneer : As we get
Semolina [suji] : 1/2 medium cup
Sugar : 1small cup + 1tbsp
Water : 1big cup
Ghee [clarified butter] : 1/2 medium cup
Green Cardamom : 3-4
Garnish as you wish or do not....

METHOD :

Let us prepare the paneer [cottage cheese] first. Pour the milk in a deep bottomed vessel. Switch on gas and put the vessel on it..... Once the milk comes to boil, add the vinegar and switch off gas.... add the ice cubes and let it rest for 10 minutes.... 

Strain the whey through a thin cloth, tie it on the kitchen top... squeeze the extra water. Let rest for 1/2 an hour.

Take down and transfer to a wide mouthed bowl. Mash for 6-10 minutes. Add the semolina and 1tbsp sugar and keep kneading for another 10 minutes. If the dough is too soft, you can add little more semolina.

Prepare tennis size balls. Heat ghee in a wok. Lightly fry the balls not allowing them to get brown. Transfer on to tissue paper.

Simultaneously, boil 1 small cup sugar and 1 big cup water together. Tear the green cardamoms and add to the boiling water. We must remember these are not rasgullas, so we will add the fried paneer balls only when the syrup turns little sticky. 

The paneer balls will not double the size like rasgulla.... we will take them out within few minutes from the syrup, let cool and serve.

Authentically, danader is served after rolling on sugar while still warm..... I skipped that process.....



6 comments :

  1. I never heard this dessert Soma .. can you tell me your hometown?? If you don't mind

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a Bengali.... it is a lesser known sweet...

      Delete
  2. Looks so similar to Rasagulla.. But your details made to understand it so clearly.. Such a Lovely sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marie biscuit and cream crackers? How can I forget? Grew up eating plenty of them. This sweet dish however sorry to say I am not familiar with. Yet, there's always the pleasure of knowing and tucking into its sweetness for the first time. Aw!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Navaneetham thank u... you may not like it as u said u r not fond of sweets...

      Delete