Sunday 8 April 2018

TOFU POTATO BITES & MINT-GARLIC-TAMARIND CHUTNEY




Tofu in a soup .... yes, I do have it on a regular basis on my lunch dates with myself! When it comes to feeding tofu to my men and majority of my readers.... it has to have added spices and flavour enhancing herbs.... You bet only a Bengali / Desi has the ability to turn something as healthy as tofu to a flavourful, spice laden bliss called TOFU POTATO BITES & MINT-GARLIC-TAMARIND-CHUTNEY.... Yes a chutney or a dip is a must with such tongue teasers / snacks. There obviously was some non vegetarian items along side... I do not remember what, not bothered either!.... I wish to go ahead with a humble vegetarian share today, I will .... I do not want to go Bengali.... I will not.... though I know I have to go Bengali next... its our New Year at the doorstep! I am a Bengali and the major shares on my blog would be Bengali... that is natural.....

I am open about who I am .... never a self proclaimed angel.... I am poor at acting... though an ardent Bollywood fan.  I am self centric.... I accept it, some do not! People have the liberty to think what they wish .... problem is they think I am a total nut.... I admit I am .... not that much either that I do not understand anything! I adore transparency of hearts..... I was one, I lost it totally after joining the social media.... Our daddy was not in social media and hence died a hero, such people cannot sustain a made up world! Did I ever say he was a good bridge player and got prizes too? During his last years he tended to forget everything and could not play it properly. His partners got agitated... those partners who my brother invited cordially and treated with "mach, mangsho, roshogolla" at his Shradh ceremony. Its a year now, do you think I will do the same on his yearly mourning? I will cook for him which I hardly got a chance to, go to RKM and donate a little something! .... Did our mother  appreciate those accolades? No....... she said "tash khela bajey obhyash"... card games are bad! ..... Two incompatible people living under one roof did not make a hell out of every little thing which helped us grow up as normal, happy kids. 

Are you taking care of making your "home" a happy one?.... That is an exercise, rest comes next and very much next! In this matter, we can take some pride.... We together went to choose our furnitures, no sharing the pictures is not a show off... they are low cost.... we bought only when the husband got his yearly bonus! Below is how we struggled to create some space within a 1150 sq ft. area and make it look brighter.... Now the husband's part is done.... Cristine and her ma'am will have to work hard to get the white colour last. What was our lunch after the rearrangement? "Dim Sheddo Aloo Sheddo Bhaat"..... boiled eggs and potatoes with rice.... ghee for the men.... and what for this primitive?.... Mustard oil and a green chilli...... she preferred to share the picture of her plate .... she is ok if you do not try to control her life! In the evening, the husband was in a happy mood and asked the wife to go to Clark Quay..... the wife had already gone ahead with the preparation of  "methi carrot thepla"..... He did not create a ruckus.... scolded the wife for been an unromantic.... called the available friends.... and all of us celebrated with a "champakoli" that the wife gifted two years back with "thepla".... "gujju" friends if any excuse us for this unusual pairing! 

How am I a bit ahead of my mother? I do not say a constant no to a husband's wish... as long as he is not a drunkard, I do not mind. How is my  husband a bit ahead of my dad?.... He respects my wishes! Again some people think I am that donkey who  believes whatever they say.... I am not "entirely a donkey" but "nearly".... All this while I kept quiet trying to be decent!






How was our yesterday?.... as usual a Saturday is.... I cooked "thorer ghonto" to "kakrer jhal" to "illisher ektu onnorokom".... did photo session of six items.... all horrible.... will share but how can I if not someone from you translate for me "thorer aash gulokey angul diye joriye fele ditey hobey".... No, I do not have any problem admitting my shortcomings, in fact I doubt if I have any quality in me or not... The lack of confidence in me did not let me barge into the management's office and say why should I take reading classes when once I was chosen to teach at plus two level? Until here it is not wrong.... but when some are up on lowering other's position at work or otherwise, it is an attack on their prestige, self pride! ..... I find it utterly wrong and a feeling of lovelessness occurs within! 

Well, says the husband.... not everyone have the wisdom of the genius stationed at Mumbai.... a person who at age 35 became one of the top directors of a leading Indian bank ... now I do not even ask where he reached.... the husband says only few in India reaches there! That person  does not play golf but eats "phuchka" in and around Mumbai.... gifts my  husband a Hugo Boss though! The couples' only pleasure is going for foreign tours twice or once a year... they are "pet roga" cannot eat, do not fancy clothes if not required! Anyway, I do not know when I get to kiss them in public.... this TOFU POTATO BITES & MINT-GARLIC-TAMARIND CHUTNEY should help... its a low oil starter, appetiser and spices are not  that bad for health... they say.... no I have no such quality to go on with its nutritive value or history .... you have to go to better people for it! I love food, cook it and share.... cover up my inability by filling in this space with my take on "life and people"....

If you wish for some other recipes blogged about  earlier, click the below headings....

CASHEW CHICKEN

MATAR MUSHROOM



INGREDIENTS :

Tofu : 300-350gm [plain, not silken]
Potato : 2big [washed, halved ,boiled, peeled]
Cumin Seed : 2tbsp + 1/4tsp
Coriander Seed : 1tbsp
Dry Red Chilli : 2-3
Fennel Seed : 1/2tsp
Green Chilli : 2 [washed, chopped]
Dry Mango Powder : 1tsp
Ginger Extract : 2tsp
Chaat Masala : To Sprinkle
Turmeric Powder : 1/2tsp
Coriander Leaf : 1small cup [chopped, washed]
Salt : As Required
Oil : 3tbsp + 2tbsp


PROCEDURE :

I wash my tofu, do you? Break and mash it just roughly. Mash the boiled potatoes smoothly and take both in a bowl. Add salt and turmeric and mix well.

Dry roast the cumin seeds, fennel seeds, coriander seeds and dry red chillies for 2 minutes at low heat.

Once cool, dry grind them till coarse.

Heat oil in a wok. Add the chopped green chillies and 1/4tsp cumin seeds, give a quick stir.

Add the potato and tofu mixture and fold in well.

Add the ginger extract and dry ground, coarse spice mixture. Fold in well.

Keep stirring for about 4-5 minutes. Add the chopped coriander leaves and the dry mango powder.

Fold in well and stir for a minute. Switch off gas, our appetiser mixture is ready.

Let it cool before you tear out small portions and shape as you desire.

Heat 2-3 tbsp oil in a pan. Place the tikkis, cook till brown at low heat. Turn over and repeat. It takes hardly 5-7 minute.

For the chutney soak 2tbsp seedless tamarind in half medium cup water for 1/2 an hour. Get the extract and transfer to a grinder. Add a medium cup of washed mint leaves, two cloves of garlic, a green chilli and 1/4 tsp of black salt. Grind to a paste.... sprinkle some water if required!

Before serving, sprinkle some chaat masala atop the tikkis.... enjoy! It indeed is a good snack idea!







2 comments :