Wednesday 6 March 2019

VEGETARIAN POROTA WITH LEFTOVERS



I remember this was made one evening last November when the husband was travelling. Thereafter, in these three months I have not done it. Today, at this moment looking at my refrigerator, I feel the need to do it again; this will go on now; the surplus of food. I have decided to call in few guests in the next two months. I do not have enough space to accommodate or the energy to cook for more than 10 people at the moment. When the husband told me last night he will not be carrying lunch box today, he looked seemingly happy; they decided on a full Japanese official lunch today. I do not know why that "seemingly happy" expression pisses me off... the fresh fights start... "what will I do with the huge amount of food?".... "that is your problem wife... I have a work life".... and it continues a day long?... That is not possible as the clever husband will not let it continue... he will not receive my phone calls for the entire day, will come back home around 9:30pm.... by then "ghum pari" is partially in control of me and all my senses say "do not be silly... you have to push 3-4 items into his 'xs' sized stomach".... 

Above is the scenario at this home... I cannot stop cooking, the husband is not a foodie, I am a foodie but a diabetic, Cristine is on diet, the son loves food but of his choice and never does over eating like his mother. The situation is truly grave.... I had guests last Friday... I cooked few dishes as I love treating my guests, The earlier bought "potols" were getting spoilt... so I cooked those and an egg poach curry last Saturday, we went to the Indian super market last Sunday so I had to pack some biryani for our Sunday lunch in spite of a fully stacked rack in the refrigerator, I had a guest yesterday who I would not serve the leftovers and I have guests on coming Saturday. The refrigerator some do see on our living room cannot be stacked, I use it only when I have special prayer meets at home. I think I need to prepare a VEGETARIAN POROTA WITH LEFTOVERS by Friday evening or a "bubble & squeak?".....

The addition of the boiled potato made the dough super soft; we may find it difficult to roll it...but it will taste great! Do you think I had to cook the mixture to dry it before adding it to the dough? What I used was some left over cabbage, spinach and pumpkin. To it, I added chopped coriander, sliced onions, a boiled potato, salt & freshly ground black pepper... P... the sailor man's son at this home does not eat the above mentioned vegetables unless I mash them with dal ... but ate three porotas / South Asian flatbreads in five minutes with some sauce and not pickle. I do not know when I will blog about the "jolpai er achar".... today I will add freshly ground spices to the "chaltar achar".... my brothers from one of the Bangladeshi shops have called me end of this month to collect the "topa kul".... this season will be all homemade 'achar.' There is not a single bori at home, I need to prepare some soon. At the moment, I am willing to finish it off quickly.... there are two reasons... I am playing with 5 Turkish Alloy jewelry sets and 2 silver earrings since yesterday, that single piece is a gift from my yesterday's guest.


Secondly, I need to run to the parlour for a touch up on my almost grey hairs .... Cristine is too tired assisting me in the kitchen.... then I will savour that... the pleasure of sitting on a food court and enjoying food.... I am craving for some noodles on a spicy broth with everything thrown in.... prawns, meat balls, eggs, greens... I love the spicy Thai styles. Its no exercise time of the month that is signalling that I may attain menopause very soon... my state of mind is like "hobi to ho, khamoka jhuliye rakhish na".... The good news is that the expert swimming coach Joe will start training us on 'free style" from coming Saturday morning.... the height of hope is treating Joe with homemade porotas like this VEGETARIAN POROTA WITH LEFTOVERS.




INGREDIENTS :

ANY KIND OF LEFTOVER VEGETABLES OR DAL... I USED DISHES WITH CABBAGE, PUMPKIN AND SPINACH

WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR : 1/2COFFEE MUG

REFINED FLOUR : 11/2COFFEE MUG

CHOPPED CORIANDER : A BOWLFUL [WASHED]

SLICED ONION : 3-4 TBSP [PEELED, TWO ENDS DISCARDED, WASHED, SLICED]

BOILED POTATO : 1 [PEELED, WASHED, MASHED]

BLACK PEPPER POWDER : 1TSP

CAROM SEED : 1TSP

CHOPPED GREEN CHILLI : 2

SALT : AS REQUIRED

OIL OR GHEE : 1TSP FOR EACH FLAT BREAD

PROCEDURE :

Below are the vegetables I used. 


Below are the chopped coriander & green chillies, sliced onion... all washed.


The boiled potato is ready to be mashed.


Take the two flours, very little salt and all the rest of the ingredients except the oil or ghee on a bowl. Mash the potato there itself.


Knead well without using water, else you have to prepare 'golaruti.' 

Tear out portions and roll into desired shapes.



Gently place on a hot griddle.... roast both sides well, add 2tsp oil and fry both sides well. [epith opith bhajo bhalo korey].



Add 1tsp oil to the pan and cook both sides well until you get a brown crisp cover.


Eat them fresh & hot with choice of your pickle, sauces and yes, salad!




No comments :

Post a Comment