Monday 4 March 2019

KODO MILLET WITH COCONUT AND DRY FRUITS


I thought I will stay away from the social media today.... keeping an eye on it means more of food fair.... which I am not supposed to have on this day .... I do not have any problem following a ritual or a family tradition if the prejudiced self thinks that it may bring good health, good luck for my loved ones. I am a believer but moderate in line with time... I cannot talk "tetrish koti deb-debi" all the time like my mother or her mother, cross the Ganges early morning when the flu virus is still there inside the body. Until 2017, on this particular day the mother would take a holy dip in the Ganges religiously... Even if I had got married to a person living in Dankuni or Barrackpore, I would not have travelled to Dakshineshwar or to the Ganges everyday! Oho! with the mention of Dankuni, some fresh memories popped up.... although today I am only supposed to pray for my husband .... and only, only, only dive at his feet.... 

However, one need not go by my words or innocent looks.... my intents are not healthy... I have a tendency to fall for every other person [read males] now and then.... When I was dating the hubby "pyangla T".... who used to sail for 9-10 months... I fell for a guy who might have stayed somewhere in the Dankuni section.... did a change over in Dum Dum and travelled with us to Barasat that housed a number of important Government Offices. He was quite handsome, a WBCS officer.... how I knew this? Okay he used to sit beside a Poonam Dillon look alike .... also a WBCS officer .... may be his colleague cum friend... I used to overhear their conversation.... Like any normal girl of 22-23, I was overwhelmed at how this handsome, well placed guy keeps eyeing me with an equally well placed Poonam Dhillon sitting beside him.... awwww.... I was bowled over you know readers! I thought then as I am all about I, me, myself.... this WBCS officer will finally own a flat in Kolkata and take me to my dream destination within India... say the Kumayun Range once a year or to Europe once in a blue moon while the master mariner will get me on a world tour... if not every year but every two years ... "isko pakar kaske".... 

You see, failures like me will always be calculative with life and be jealous of the fairer crowd .... we have nothing else to do... if you are like me... you will not deny who you actually are. I have seen how two beautiful girls tore off each other in private, but in public they behaved like two sisters.... I know someone who considered herself the best among the beautiful girls until few years back.... if all of a sudden she has become too generous .... even if it is a public eyewash ... its a welcome move. Considering the West Bengal scenario which till date is liberal compared to the rest of South Asia, good looking boys and girls get too much of adulation, attention since childhood... teen hood is not the age to handle it... they slip off! Some change.... get in control with very good examples right in front.... may be a sibling while others cannot handle it rest of their life... with age they just maintain an image in public. I will always remain that teen jealous, poor girl who if had a little bit of self-respect for herself would have done something fruitful in life. Anyway, the above is for those who were sincerely seeking some match making.... some known people of mine have a long & beautiful nose to poke in unknown areas... they call themselves social media giants .... "chunoputis" like me has to facilitate the match making at any cost..... Anyway, this is not the right day for all these discussions but I have kept a fast, nothing as such to do except for the wish to share a fast friendly recipe for the readers which is healthy too... This KODO MILLET WITH COCONUT & DRY FRUITS is a way of driving off the guilt of eyeing multiple men and telling the husband see this foodie will have a one time meal today after 7 pm.... that too without a "kanchalanka and noon".... penance man.... I will do as long I can... earlier I used to share the pictures too.... I do not find it necessary now ... may be because it feels bad that the mother cannot do it anymore.... may be because I need to severe certain ties and get the interested candidates to some matchmaking. If you have a big space inside, you can keep anyone there without any interference. No one asked me for a matchmaking ... but will do  in greater interest of the society? ... no social media! However, I may continue telling the husband that the WBCS officer was a better bet... I felt he was "norom and would chomkofy at my gorom".... the husband is not a material who I can crack.... I do not know about other girls...

I am dumping my space with rubbish because it is becoming more of my habit these days..... specially today I do not have much to do. If I go out for a walk, I will feel thirsty, if I go for swimming I may gobble water.... it is the best day to lie down on the couch with a book. I have nothing to cook today as the mother categorically told not to eat anything but fruits and sago.... when will Bengalis be able to break a fast with "sabudana r bora".... The muslims do it for a month. As per the norms, I was supposed to keep "sangjom" yesterday and eat vegetarian tomorrow too.... I cannot follow that strict regime, could assure my mother only of today.... I will start my day tomorrow with tea and "elaichi toast biscuit".... Yesterday, we went to the Indian supermarket only to find some packets are claiming puff pastry as bakarkhani...... one packet claims coconut cookies as nankhatai... know your food and your preferences. The husband does not believe in any ritual but I told Cristine to pack their lunch boxes with potato sandwich... and do some parathas for dinner... her ma'am cannot have "bhaat-ruti" today, she is just in with "phool-belpata-bonde-jilipi".... when will the sun set? Do you see a 16 year old foodie in me? I want to be remembered as this... rest I will do the matchmaking for you... make it sure you keep me out of your periphery... I do not want your mercy, attention anything.... 

I advertently wish to avoid certain ghettos in this island.... the reason why I never took my blog to the people here. I do not have the greed or ability or the wish or the looks or the persona to be surrounded by praisers at all times... it causes me irritation... I believe in few, genuine "mutual admirations"..... In fact looking forward to an even quieter person gracing our home for lunch tomorrow whose entrepreneurship I respect. Off course, I will not serve KODO MILLETS WITH COCONUT & DRY FRUITS to the guest but the person is on diet.... did keto and lost 16 kg in 8 months, requested me to cook in less oil, no potato or sugary dishes. This is like asking a crocodile not to come to the shore where you placed some fresh meat. I cannot cook today, I have planned some quick recipes with prawns, chicken, fish, the Chennai cauliflower that I got from the Bangladeshi store yesterday.... Why I bought them when I know that the season for cauliflower is already over in India?... Nail it, Nail it folks.... well... they had good amount of leaves... will do a "kopipata bata" for myself.... if not with rice, I will have it with millets. 

With a wife as this, you know no husband will come home by 7:30 pm today on her request... so she will have her share of jilipi once she is done with the prayer. I promise I will have more of millets than rice henceforth. I do not believe in all that wiki says... sincerely willing to meet a dietician soon... I do not go fearing that the foodie me cannot sustain the chart for long... how is it possible for the one who loves to cook and eat. Even today's share is based on my love for "shabu makha" or "muri narkol".... The ghee fried fresh, grated coconut has an heavenly aroma... I just cannot have bland food... The diabetic self has lessened the amount of sugar than it has been mentioned below.



INGREDIENTS :

KODO MILLET : 1SMALL TEA CUP
SHREDDED COCONUT : 1MEDIUM TEA CUP
SUGAR : 1TSP + 1TBSP
GREEN CARDAMOM POWDER : 1/4TSP 
GREEN CARDAMOM : 2
CHOPPED DRIED FIG, PISTACHIO, WALNUT TO GARNISH!
GHEE : 2TBSP + 2TSP

PROCEDURE :

I did not even wash the kodo millet so excited I had been. There is no possibility of it to put a check on my ever increasing weight.... I will have my jilipi. 

Heat 2tbsp ghee / clarified butter and add the 2 cardamoms tearing a bit. 

As you get the aroma, add the shredded coconut and fry until brown. Take out to use later.

Add 2tsp ghee in to the same wok. Add the kodo millet and roast well. Add water little by little and keep stirring. As the content gets near double, add the sugar and the green cardamom powder. Fold in well.

Add half of the fried coconut and mix well. Transfer to a bowl.

We have already microwaved some pistachio & walnuts and chopped them. Garnish the content with the rest of the fried coconut and chopped dry fruits.

Have it warm with tea / coffee!


No comments :

Post a Comment