Wednesday 31 July 2019

SUJI & MIXED SPICES STUFFED BREAD SNACK


This happened last month I remember. When I was about to go out with the mother to somewhere, I discovered that half the container of a suji / semolina and dry roasted, ground spice mixture that I prepared and used in a stuffed kochuri (SEMOLINA & SPICE STUFFED KACHORI WITH SWEET TAMARIND CHUTNEY) back in October, 2017 is still sitting inside my refrigerator. It did not rot and spoil, hence I would not throw it. I had to go out and could do something only when I would come back sometime in the afternoon, I mean post 5pm. I had to think of something quick and yum to use up the entire amount of homemade spice mixture. On such occasions, bread comes to your rescue, be it bread halwa, bread malai, paurutir chop, bread gulab jamun or whatever. I took out few slices of bread, the semolina and spice mixture, brought them to normal room temperature. Thereafter, I discarded the four sides of each slice, placed a spoonful of stuffing in the middle, moistened the edges with water, sealed the open ends with the help of a fork. I did two or three and asked Cristine to do the same with the rest. I had to take the mother out, so was in a hurry. We had a light lunch I remember because we wished to come back, take a quick shower and enjoy the vegetarian snack SUJI & MIXED SPICES STUFFED BREAD SNACK with tea in a relaxed mode. Once back home, I brushed butter on each of them and baked for few minutes. That little is the entire exercise. We can always deep fry the snacks but unnecessarily why should we consume more of oil if we have an alternative option.

Back to the island, I am quite missing the mother. I am having an uncanny feeling entering the guest room where she would lie down with her new cell phone that the son-in-law had gifted few months back and watch Zee Bangla following the son-in-law's instructions. Cristine also asks me when aunty gets to come again. If God permits, she will. She has no such qualms staying at the daughter's place sometimes, nor do I have. Thankfully, my in-laws will also agree and accept now onwards there is no wrong staying at the daughter's place at times or when required, their self proclaimed "do not" they were so vocal about in public. Oh God! Thank you for being nice to me but do not rob T or his sister of their parents sooner... I and my brother know how it feels to lose your parent. How much of self centric my brother is, he is loyal to his own family, he remembers it all who did what when and gives it back in time. I keep pledging him, "bhai it is not okay to behave rough with others in public, just keep discharging your moral duty towards others, do not remember who did not do what when people may need your help." He is stubborn just like his sister. Anyway, a meat recipe was on my mind today, I will not do it.... in my full consciousness, I usually do not wrong people. Today, there should be no fish or meat, I do not bother what the nation wants from me. Had this vegetarian evening snack SUJI & MIXED SPICES STUFFED BREAD SNACK was not there in the kitty, I definitely would have gone ahead with a sugar free oats ladoo or kheer or halwa. 

You know, I got some "aam sandesh and pista roll" from the VIP Sweets, Kolkata for my beloved men this time, I had to have one of each variety , a bit scared so. I totally forgot that I must take a little amount of Kolkata sweets for my men, on the last day as I entered our neighbourhood branch to buy "roshogollas" for the security and maintenance staffs there, I remembered. We are perhaps among the poorest of the existing residents there, the richy rich do not even have ten rupees to give them to buy a paan. Being a perfect wife to my man, I did not bargain with the "rickshawwalas" there this time. This is a rich island, you pay dearly for the best services, so I should behave while in Kolkata. Following a health drive, I will prepare oats-moong dal khicuri for our lunch. Today is for swimming, yesterday on my walk, I picked up four branches of "two jaba varieties, one tiny togor variety, one red frangipani" from the roadside.... let us see if they survive at this home. My oldest "togor gaach" died, it got pest inflicted, by the time I instructed Cristine over phone to get insecticide from the nursery, it was late. Mango and coconut trees on my own "do bigha zameen" is not possible anymore, but life is really good, accepting the don't haves you only help yourself live better.




INGREDIENTS FOR THE SEMOLINA & SPICE STUFFING :

Semolina : 1 small cup
Cumin Seeds : 1tsp
Coriander Seeds : 11/2tsp
Fennel Seeds : 1/2tsp
Carom Seeds : 1tsp
Dry Red Chilli : 2-3
Green Cardamom : 2
Cinnamon Stick : 2 one inch stick
Sugar : 1tsp
Salt : As Required
Ghee : 1-2tbsp


INGREDIENTS FOR THE SNACK :

THE SEMOLINA AND ROASTED & GROUND DRY SPICE MIXTURE
BREAD SLICE : 10-12
MELTED BUTTER : 1/2 OF A STANDARD SMALLER BOWL

PROCEDURE :

You know I used stored stuffing for this. I had to go back and hire the pictures from another post to furnish you the stepwise pictures of making of the semolina and spice stuffing.

Let us prepare the filling first. Heat oil in a wok / pan and dry roast the cumin... coriander... fennel.... carom seeds and the dry red chilli for a minute or two.

In the same wok, add 1tbsp ghee. Once hot, add the semolina and roast till it turns golden brown.

Once it is golden brown, add the dry roasted spice mixture and fold in well.

Add sugar and salt to it and stir for 3-4 minutes. Transfer the filling to a bowl and let cool.

Cut the edges of each of the bread slices. Fill in with the semolina and freshly ground dry roasted spices.

Moisten a bit the edges with very little water. Close the ends. Press with a fork to tighten, be safe.

Now grease an oven proof plate. Grease both sides of each of the stuffed and uncooked bread slices with a brush.

I use the convection mode of a microwave oven, so I placed the low stool inside the oven and preheated the oven at 180*C for 8 minutes or so.

I placed the plate atop the stool now. I baked them at 180*C for 10-12 minutes. You must check your time because each machine differ.

We must have them hot and fresh with a hot beverage of our choice, else they will turn hard and chewy.

            


No comments :

Post a Comment