Tuesday 16 August 2016

JALAPENO N CABBAGE PARATHA



Homemade Indian breads are a hot favourite at my home. Any day my men would prefer breads over plain steamed rice. Our family hails from the eastern part of undivided Bengal. May be so I have a natural inclination towards rice, I used to have rice thrice a day, while going to the school, back from the school and for dinner. Indian breads like paratha and poori were meant  for our lunch boxes and for an elaborate weekend breakfast. My extreme love for carbohydrates culminated into my body. Mine had been a sports loving family except me! Our daddy was too concerned and worried about it, he got a yoga instructor for me, would never let me stay on bed beyond 5.30 am, took me out for cycling. I could not learn cycling, he got sick running holding the cycle! 

I never took physical fitness / health seriously. Today I can feel how important it is to keep fit for the good of our self and for the family. Less of carb and more of protein and veggie works wonder. I am still far from my target because the foodie in me can never sacrifice her cravings for tasty food. If I make parathas, I will make a small one for myself. Same with poori, rice varieties, sweet..... I do not or cannot deprive myself from the simple joys of life. For a foodie, good food is a religion.

My men are by no means salad kind of a person, end of the day they love their share of bread, meat, pizza, burger. Hence, I need to act accordingly. I prepare paratha or poori with or without a stuffing. At times, in a hurry I would make a dough with all the stuffing mix, roll into parathas and fry them. My men love them with a meat curry, I would serve myself with a bowl of raita or dip. On the stipulated day, I had some jalapeño and cabbage in the pantry, an idea of preparing some Jalapeño and Cabbage Paratha popped up. Let us prepare this easy to make, no stuffing Jalapeño and Cabbage Paratha together. We had it with an egg-soy bean-potato curry last night.





INGREDIENTS :

Whole Wheat Flour : 1 coffee mug
Refined Flour : 1 1/2 coffee mug
Cabbage [shredded] : A medium sized bowlful
Jalapeno Pepper [chopped] : A small bowlful
Onion [sliced] : 2 tbsp
Salt : 1/4tsp
Oil : 1 tbsp +A little to brush both sides of each flatbread

METHOD :


Take the two flours in a wide mouthed big bowl, add salt and one tbsp oil to it. Mix well.

Mince the red & green jalapeño, cabbage, add to the flours. Also add 1 tbsp of oil to the bowl, mix & rub well, keep aside for 15-20 minutes!

Do not add water to prepare the dough! Water would release from the vegetables. After 15-20 minutes; knead to a dough.


Divide the dough into same sized balls! Dust each ball with enough flour! Roll into round size parathas. 

In my case, the dough got a bit sticky and I needed a round shaped cap to get them round.

Heat a griddle / tawa! Roast each side properly, then brush each side with oil. Cook well & take out on a plate!

Serve fresh and hot with your choice of curry, dip, chutney or sauce.












9 comments :

  1. That's super creative and remarkably yumm. Good health is so important. I too cannot sacrifice on food. So it's a balance for me. Some days I splurge and others eat like a bird. It's worked for me till now. You look so gorgeous, so you can eat without the worry. Offcourse delicious offerings like this laden with nutrition & health are the perfect choice to keep the waist slim and tummy happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much dear.... take it from me Piyali you are so perfectly slim and possess a beautiful skin honestly..... for me week ends are really indulgent go....I do not deprive of anything....

      Delete
  2. My other half also prefer bread esp for a night meal. But I am not keen to make paratha, what more I am not a fan. This is amazing, especially elevated with the combination of the rest of the ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Navaneetham... I think you are a rice person like me...

      Delete
  3. Your writing is awesome along with ur recipe,love to read ur story.will try this dish,thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the combination of ingredients used to make the paratha... lovely.

    ReplyDelete