Saturday 15 July 2017

DUDH BORI DIYE JHINGE BEGUNER JHOL / A LIGHT CURRY WITH RIDGE GOURD AND EGGPLANT



We have literally grown up eating these dishes. In my side of the family this is a common dish that mani used to prepare. This was more of a summer treat when coriander leaves was pricey, yet she would manage to buy a small amount just to prepare few of these dishes. Later when we shifted to our own house, mani started gardening and grew one variety of coriander leaf which was called 'biliti dhonepata.'..... meaning 'foreign coriander leaves.' It had broader leaves and had a stronger smell.... the mesmerising smell and flavour I still could not forget. At that time, I never could get the actual name of it because mani says she does not get it anymore from the small time veggie sellers who get products from the village. And eureka, here we get the same named Mexican Coriander or Vietnamese Saw Tooth Coriander or Culantro!

Culantro is not commercially sold here but the plant is on sale in the nurseries! In this curry she also added 'shimer bichi'..... roasted broad bean seeds. Jackfruit seeds and broad bean seeds are commonly used in my side of the family.... they were dried, roasted and stored throughout the year and added to various dishes. I do not know whether it was typical of Comilla or of the entire Bengal. Now I see my friends from other states of India sharing recipes with jackfruit seeds. I feel wow!

You can well understand I have less knowledge of the food world. I am learning each day from the people around. I never did any homework before starting with the blog. You know I am always scared of / averse to constructive learning or research .... I know my drawbacks well. Anyway, I already have a similar recipe of 'Jhinge Beguner Jhol' which I did as a part of a combined post. So this recipe can be called a copy paste with a little of variation. 

For two reasons I am compiling it separately with few changes.... one is that some of my near ones use milk in a couple of their light curries besides shukto .... trust me it enhances the taste. Secondly, I have recently learnt to prepare "Bori".... that is dried lentil balls.... that too in a country where the sun plays hide and seek game every now and then. Hence, I am too eager to share some recipes with bori. Come let us prepare together this simple yet tasty curry with bori, ridge gourd and egg plant with minimal use of spices.


INGREDIENTS :

Ridge Gourd[Jhinge] : 2
Egg Plant[Begun] : 1
Bori [Sun-dried Lentil Ball] : 8-10
Milk : 1/2 small cup
Nigella Seeds[kalojeera] : 2pinches
Red Chilli Powder : 1/2tsp
Turmeric Powder : 1/2tsp
Salt : As Required
Oil [authentically mustard] : 1tsp
Chopped Coriander Leaves : 1tbsp

METHOD :

Peel and cut the ridge gourds and eggplants lengthwise. Wash and rub with salt, turmeric and red chilli powder.

Heat the oil in a wok. Fry the dried lentil balls which we call bori. Take out.

Temper the remaining oil with kalojeera. Add the veggies and stir at high heat.

Lower the heat and cover cook for 3-4 minutes. Uncover and add 1/2 small cup water.

Again cover and cook for another 3-4 minutes. Add 1/2 small cup cold milk, stir and let boil at lowest heat for 1 minute. 

Add the chopped coriander leaves and stir.

Switch off the gas stove, it is done. Do not over boil, else the milk will cause the curry to curdle.










1 comment :

  1. Inviting. Never made such a dish before, now, I am all for it. Anytime please.

    ReplyDelete