Friday 18 August 2017

COCONUT CURRYPATTA TEMPERED GOBI


There are days when we wish to breakthrough from our regular 'fulkopi aloor dalna' or 'fulkopir rosha' and get a bit experimental. I usually pack vegetarian lunch box for my boys, hence I keep trying my hands on some mix and matches, else both cooking and eating tends to be a boring affair. This was a day when I thought I will not use aloo / potato with the cauliflower and I had some store bought shredded coconut that required to be used up. Matar / motorshuti / green pea goes very well with cauliflower; I added some green peas too ..... These days you take a scissor, cut the packet and use.... as simple as that. Had the mother been here she would have definitely said .... 'motorshuti kiney eney chariye tatka khete parish na?.... eeijonyo cheledutor shorire mangsho lagena'..... can't you buy fresh ones and use them in the cooking.... the reason why your men do not put on weight. Just because I continue to see the amount of effort she gives for her family, I accept that I am more of a casual homemaker as compared to her.... I would not have taken it from her had she been sitting idle all day long and trying to dictate her terms on me .... I have already proved it to someone that I am a far better homemaker.... how much one had tried to prove and project it otherwise. 

Coming to the mother..... I keep on telling her to move ahead towards a smart kitchen .... who listens to whom? We both are not in the habit of taking dictates when it concerns managing the home. I would really tell her about this quick to make, regular dish of COCONUT CURRYPATTA TEMPERED GOBI.... all of us .... me, my men, Cristine loved this vegetarian sides bursting with flavours of curry leaves. After all the incidents that took place in the recent months and given her age .... I / We want the mother to go slow and relax...... I always talk about my mother .... the only one I have in this world..... but I have never spoken of one lady who gave me the feel of a mother ever since I stepped out of the comfort of my parent's home. She is my senior's eldest maternal uncle's wife ..... our very own 'boromami'..... each one of us should be like her who preaches and practise that there can only be one expression that suits your face 'smile'.... at any given situation. She is the one who gave a damn to any kind of protocol and embraced me with love on my first day in a strange home.... later too while the husband sailed for 6-8 months at a stretch and my prince was not born and till date. Unfortunately we did not stay in the same house and I am not jealous of her only daughter-in-law with whom she shares a wonderful, hearty relationship..... she has not much formal education but is wise enough to know the importance of building strong relationship bonds. When it comes to love and respect .... I hardly maintain protocol and give as I receive in most cases ..... for some it comes naturally though. This old lady called 'boromami'.... my eldest aunt-in-law lives in a township about 25-30 km away from Kolkata.... primitive in attire.... uber cool and modern in her thought process who made me believe formal education is not essential to learn wisdom.... the day she leaves .... her home that happens to be a joint family will turn into dark dome from an illuminated one.

I went for a get together yesterday and savoured an all Bengali scrumptious lunch fair at an elder sister like's  home. I ate too much and is unable to get over the food and adda..... yet I will not go Bengali today to commemorate it. I wish to go beyond region today with ingredients that can be identified beyond boundaries .... the essence has to be desi. A non-vegetarian dish is due for a long time though ..... before Ganesh ji arrives we have too ..... the regular non-vegetarian affair at home continues else my return ticket to Kolkata is confirmed you all know. Jokes apart, this quick and easy vegetarian side dish of shredded coconut, green pea and cauliflower tempered with cumin and mustard seeds, dry red chillies and curry leaves goes very well with paratha topped with some ghee or if paired with some dal / lentil curry and rice. Keep faith on me and try preparing it on an all vegetarian day or keep it as a vegetarian delight besides your non-vegetarian exotics..... both ways you are going to love it. The entire preparation and cooking process takes 40-45 minutes.


INGREDIENTS :

Cauliflower : 1medium
Green Pea : 1/4small cup
Shredded Coconut : 1small cup
Curry Leaves : 8-10
Dry Red Chilli : 2 [halved]
Green Chilli - 2-3 [slitted]
Mustard Seed : 1/4tsp
Cumin Seed : 2-3pinches
Coriander Powder : 1/2tsp [optional]
Turmeric Powder : 1/4tsp
Salt : As Required
Oil : 2-3 tbsp

METHOD :

Cut the cauliflower into medium florets, wash thoroughly. Rub with some salt. Take a microwave bowl and fill it with water. Add the cauliflower florets. Microwave at high for 5-7 minutes. Let cool and discard the water.

Apply salt, turmeric powder and coriander powder to the par boiled cauliflower florets. Keep aside for 5 minutes.

Heat the oil in a wok or pan. Temper with cumin seeds, mustard seeds, curry leaves and dry red chillies and give a stir. Add the shredded coconut and keep stirring till it turns golden brown.

Add the spice mixed cauliflower florets, stir and sprinkle some water. Stir again and cover. Let cook for 2 minutes. Remove the cover, sprinkle some more water and cover cook for another 2 minutes.

Remove the cover and add the slitted green chillies and green peas. Fold in well and let cook uncovered further for 2 minutes. Switch off the gas burner.

Transfer to a serving bowl and enjoy with handmade breads topped with butter or as an accompaniment with dal and rice.




2 comments :

  1. Nice recipe with a difference, talking about mothers,we can never match up to their efforts for the family

    ReplyDelete