Tuesday 1 May 2018

SPICY TOMATO ONION EGGPLANT PANEER


All of us in the family love eggplants but the husband are allergic towards it a bit........ I need to choose the right kind from a wide variety of eggplants we get here! The less seed ones are ok for us.... my problem is less ... only the seeds of a certain ones cause mild itching.... Next step is to cook it for a longer period with fair amount of spices that helps us to have it peacefully! We cannot leave having eggplant unless it attacks us severely .... One of the reason for visiting the Arab Street joints here is for the love of eggplants .... the choice of varied dishes of eggplants.... the Turkish tea and yes the kebab & bread. Whoever visits us from elsewhere... be it the family or friends.... we make it a point to take them there .... the ambience is too ordinary.... nothing to praise .... I am not even able to use the toilet.... but the food is too good.... Beirut is my favourite of all.... Yes, I am a bit choosy.... if the lamb is smelly I am gone! Besides the breads, I keep wondering how their simplistic rice dishes taste so well... is it the influence of Hookah that makes me feel so? Haha... I could have shared the picture of me having Hookah but I will not do that here... may be some day in the right place / forum! Adding different kinds of pictures here is a hired idea .... 

Although I am a Bengali... I will not show undisputed allegiance to any particular community... I have seen spoilers in each communities including mine... I feel best where I stand... The not at all angelic self believes in the words of the next door elderly woman back in Kolkata... S mingle with people from different communities... it helps! Though I get pissed off when she continuously brags of her three daughters living in New York and Cleveland respectively! But you have to admit that they are independent, self sufficient women.... two of them did not even marry! Anyway, I do not have a problem if anyone fingers at me for giving big talks without earning a penny.... I have a severe problem if anyone forcefully tries to associate my name with any particular group or a person... I love to be what I am .... sharing the love for food with my readers! I have no problem with successful people.... I am only severely allergic to be anyone's pet.... I urge those readers to unlike my page who purposefully went and hit a like for the word 'Sunday'.... without  any love for the "mutton" I cooked and shared! 

I jumped onto blogging without any homework ... did not know anyone around except for few people in Google Plus without whom the CURRY AND SPICE Blog would not have been possible.... No, I do not wish to be clicked with them in public either.... relationships cannot be forced!.... The readers are not to be blamed.... they do not know that between a "Sunday" mutton curry and "Mom's" chicken curry... there are at least ten people for whom my blog is alive today.... not all of them are Bengali! However small the steps are... how much of a  non-entity it is .... it is there and is mine .... I have my own set of readers and I am happy that they have accepted my bharwa karela..... I am trying to edit those Sunday and mom and 'robibars' looking back at the blog archive..... I am not here for any match game.... I respect people for their qualities but hate to be at anyone's mercy.... I really do not know how words like mom / maa / mother / baba / father gets patented.... I write all these rubbish just to make myself crystal clear to my readers..... and I cook a TOASTED PANEER ON A TOMATO-ONION-EGGPLANT VEGGIE dish with lots of spices.... else we cannot have... I am not a chef at an Arabic joint! The paneer pieces are spared from being spicy.... they are just marinated with black pepper powder and salt ... thereafter toasted in butter!

To blog about this gluten-free, vegetarian SPICED TOMATO ONION EGGPLANT PANEER  was not in my plan today.... I thought of something else! A couple of people around have their birthdays today! Then I had to deliver few messages to certain people.... doing that I will not go Bengali today... not at any cost! Fools are usually headstrong.... and for the wrong reasons! There is a message for those who in front of my eyes had Beef Quesadilla but consider cow as the only creature to be protected! Off course... it is my concern.... I do not want my dear ones to be a hypocrite like me! Another message... to some.... do not consider my decency as my weak point! Rest, I cooked this vegetarian sides, clicked just like that! I am not happy with the pictures... it had to have some pickle, salad and flatbreads! Then I went ahead after scrolling back for the picture for five minutes... 

Oh! I have quite a few pictures ready to be shared! Will it suit the May Day affair?.... "mid week to abhi dur hai... hai na?".... The son's examinations starts tomorrow.... I can only share a "beguner ghyat" for you now... you bless him or not! .... Cristine is due this evening.... I have to clean her room to lessen the guilt of having mutton on a May Day .... yes, thats how hypocrites work! I asked my father-in-law once... "sharadin barite boshey thako.... party office giye to boshtey paro... panch minute to lagey".... I ask him to go and sit in the local party office.... he refuses saying he cannot accommodate with the present lot! He cannot.... a dedicated party worker like him cannot.... if there is an AC machine at his home.... it is for his wife... he refuses to! Chalo let us do some "garma garam" roti and enjoy this "jogakhichuri" but tasty vegetarian, gluten-free delight SPICED TOMATO ONION EGGPLANT PANEER!


INGREDIENTS : 

Eggplant : 1big.... I prefer the purple one
Paneer : 7-10 cubes
Tomato : 1big
Onion : 1big
Green Chilli : 2
Dry Red Chilli : 2
Cumin Seed : 1/4tsp
Coriander Powder : 1tsp
Red Chilli Powder : 1/2tsp
Dry Mango Powder : 1/2tsp
Garam Masala Powder : 1/3tsp
Turmeric Powder : 1/2tsp
Black Pepper Powder : 1/4tsp
Salt : As Required
Butter : 1tbsp
Oil : 2-3tbsp


PROCEDURE :

Wash the vegetables. Discard the two ends of the eggplants and cube roughly... they are going to melt!

Wash and chop the tomato and green chillies.

Peel off the skin of the onion, discard the two ends, wash and slice.

Heat oil in a pan and temper with cumin seeds and halved dry red chillies!

Add the onion slices and the chopped green chillies ..... stir at high heat till translucent!

Add the eggplant cubes and tomato, fold in well.... cover and reduce heat to minimum!

Marinate the paneer pieces with black pepper and little salt and keep aside for 5 minutes.

In another pan, heat some butter.... Toast the paneer pieces until all sides are little brown. Take out.

Open cover of the other pan... we will see that the veggies are half mashy. Add all the spices and fold in well.

Cover cook for another 3-4 minutes until all the ingredients are nicely incorporated and the veggie turns to a "ghyat".... mishmash kind of a consistency.

Transfer to a serving bowl. Arrange the toasted paneer atop and pour the leftover butter if any!

Enjoy with roti /ruti / paratha / porota but hot and fresh!









No comments :

Post a Comment