Friday 14 December 2018

MUSHROOM CORN CURRY PATAR PAKORA


With two members in the family, the mumma and her son down with cough & cold, a pakora / fries / fritters is the need of the hour.... specially when the son finishes a container full of bitter gourd chips mumma kept for herself. This family loves fries and fritters is true but it was beyond my imagination he will have bitter gourd chips! He is weird, you can see in the pictures how he watches those early or pre-Christian or Pegan era oriented movies on Netflix. These kinds remind me of Ulysses we had as text in the higher secondary course or may be in graduation. 

However, I strongly feel there should be some kind of censorship imposed on the Netflix series.... it is a necessity for homes with rebel kids and loose fathers who think scolding or disciplining kids is not necessary at all. If people grow up in an environment where there is no discipline..... where the lady of the house comes home at times after midnight chatting in the neighbourhood houses.... discipline is just a word.... The siblings grew up decent but. 

If I freak around the entire night, wake up at mid-afternoon .... there is no one to stop me.... but memory comes in between.... a little girl sees a 4'8" woman cleaning her garden and home since five in the morning.... bringing together the dry leaves and branches of the coconut trees to make "narkel kathir jharu"..... grinding a special variety of rice during this time of the year for "pithey-puli".... I did remember the "hamandista" and a grinder that Southern India still uses to grind rice, in that home! It is so heavy that a normal adult cannot lift. 

I am the bark of a deeply rooted big tree which was cut and attached to another tree. It was a personal choice I had to make to get a genuine partner for life knowing I cannot ever adjust to the rest of the environment! I do not like the unruly traits in my son but blood plays a big role here.... it was inevitable. Whatever, I love him the most in this world.... this superbly yum vegetarian snack MUSHROOM CORN CURRY PATA PAKORA was for him to enjoy .... he is not keeping well and we are visiting India next week... oh! no! Below are his interesting watches.



I am not keeping well either. Yet, I visited my old neighbourhood yesterday to do my nails, a little of shopping and eat a teriyaki chicken and ebi fry Bento Set at the food court where I visited almost everyday few years back.


It was good.... I have become more of an Oriental perhaps... I love sticky rice with some soy sauce and a sprinkle of spice powder atop. The lovely meal made me  almost fall asleep when the girls were doing my nails, this one luxury I indulge in. Back home I felt dizzy.... then gathered the courage to assemble the ingredients and prepare those MUSHROOM CORN CURRY PATA PAKORA

Actually there was too much of carb intake yesterday, "porota o aloo chocchori" in the morning, Japanese Bento set for lunch and "ghee rice with pakora and aar maach er jhol bhaat" at the dinner time ..... Like mother like son.... she hated vegetables in her childhood / teen hood.... I am hopeful about the son. The man of the house is travelling, expected to be back home tonight. I am planning for some grilled chicken to be served with garlic bread for dinner. With blocked nasal and forehead tissues / nerves, I am unable to cook a variety. There will be another day of lavish cooking only before we travel to India.



You see mine is the humblest of the kitchen, with cracks here and there on the tiles, such a small space that I cannot think of buying an air frier and a traditional oven I wish to. How I requested the husband to buy a small, three-roomed flat instead of his dream car which is not required here, public transport system is too good. The majority of Indians here with a foreigner status echoes my husband.... "we are ready but will not pay the extra stamp duty imposed on us"..... so big is that amount that you can buy a humble flat in the remotest suburbs of Kolkata with it. 

I always would prefer my own small corner be it in Khatib or at the border line of the neighbouring country.... commuting is not an issue in this island. My research says the best condominiums are those which are far from the MRTs and Malls, they do have a Murugan Store or NTUC or Giant within 1/2 a kilometre. However, I could do a MUSHROOM CORN CURRY PATA PAKORA just as it came to my mind because the super mall is opposite our home. The curry leaves grow without much care. I had to make use of them before the immediate neighbour could complain of encroachment! What goes in this amazing fritter / fry / pakora are mushrooms, sweet corn kernels, curry leaves, onion, green chillies, corn flour, red chilli powder, turmeric powder. Let us do it and make your harsh winter a bit colourful.


INGREDIENTS :

MUSHROOM : 200GM [Any variety]
SWEET CORN KERNEL : 1/2 SMALL TEA CUP
CURRY LEAF : A HANDFUL
ONION : 1MEDIUM SIZED
GARLIC CLOVE : 2-3
GREEN CHILLI : 2
CORN FLOUR : 1/2SMALL TEA CUP
TURMERIC POWDER : 1/4TSP
SALT : AS REQUIRED
OIL : 1/2 SMALL TEA CUP

PROCEDURE :


I used a tiny mushroom variety, chopped off the ends, washed and soaked in hot water.

I took all of the washed ingredients except for the red chilli powder, cornflour, salt & turmeric in a mincer and minced.

I took them in a big bowl. To it, I added the corn flour, red chilli and turmeric powders, salt.

Then I mixed everything well without adding a bit of water. It is not required as water will be released from the washed and minced vegetables & mushrooms.

I heated enough oil in a wok to deep fry but not to the smoking point. I took smaller portions, flattened between my palms and gently placed on the oil.

Once one side was done, I turned over and cooked in minimal to low heat until both sides were brown.

Once done, I placed them onto tissue papers before serving.

Serve with some salad and pickle and enjoy with your tea and coffee!






No comments :

Post a Comment