Monday 4 January 2021

DOLLA PITHA


 

FOOD; MY UNADULTERATED LOVE!

I had a late lunch today and you will get surprised, have irritation if you get to hear about the series of food I ate in a twenty minutes window. No wise person would eat this wrong late in the afternoon and have the medicine for diabetes control, thereafter. With a full stomach now, I am wondering for what did I go down for a late swim; my diet pattern kills any attempt to stay fit and slim. But wait, I am still not an wise; the help is sent to get vegetarian curry puff to have with my evening tea after sometime. I keep freezing my activities and my readers know I do not fear to share them in public. Married in this family, I forgot to follow any routine in life. Yet, today seemed more jeopardised since morning; everything got delayed! I also got busy cleaning our tiny green spot; then cooking with "Kharkol Pata & Kumror Doga" was a pleasure. I keep my calm cooking and eating what I enjoy, else I am a restless, agony aunt. I am too eager to share with you all one such FAMILY RECIPE today, a WINTER TIME STEAMED SNACK RECIPE; DOLLA PITHA!

WHAT IS DOLLA PITHA?

I think DOLLA PITHA is the simplest of all the pitha / winter special steamed or fried snacks been done in the family. It's been done with three ingredients. If you can accept the loads of carb in it, it is a very HEALTHY SNACK you can have any day. My family brought  it with them from erstwhile Purbabangla; now Bangladesh. My forefathers hail from Bangladesh and even after the relocation, they maintained the food habits they were used too; they also learnt to use poppy seed in different dishes and prepare good handmade breads. Because, I am born in West Bengal and not prone to research; my demarcation of the East from West Bengal is limited to rice and "posto, ruti", "ilish & chingri"! This is stupid, my very Purbabangiyo family almost worshipped prawns, besides Hilsa & other fish. We are very fond of the BENGALI WINTER TREAT; PITHE PULI. There are a variety of been made, of which this STEAMED BREAKFAST SNACK / PITHE  made of only RICE FLOUR, SALT, WATER is so favourite of mine. It is eaten with liquid date palm jaggery. In it's absence, I had it with melted coconut rock sugar. 

WHY I AM SO HAPPY BEEN ABLE TO COOK A DOLLA PITHA / STEAMED RICE BALLS?

I am bound to be happy after making and having them! It was beyond my expectation that I will be able to prepare them with store bought rice flour. I had seen the family veterans soaking the rice in water, draining and drying, then hand grinding in a "hamandista", it was an all day affair. I took it as a try and I tasted success in my first attempt. DOLLA PITHA is indeed STEAMED SALTY RICE BALL; South East Asia does similar steamed stuffs. It is also called Myara Pitha, Choi Pitha! There are various additions made to it; milk, coconut, sugar but my family's authentic way is to prepare it the way you see; I followed it. So, I happily share this in the blog knowing my men would not want it with jaggery. If I serve it with a light potato or egg or chicken or mutton curry, they will. I will serve them that way but a blog post about it for the first time should be as authentic. Hindu Bengalis do not have their Sankranti Pithe-Puli non-vegetarian. This is no dig, the Southern Indian Hindus eat their rice crepes and kozhukattai with non-vegetarian curries. 





INGREDIENTS :

RICE FLOUR : 11/2 COFFEE MUG
SALT : 1/2 TSP
HOT WATER : AS REQUIRED

PROCEDURE :



The first thing to do is to strain the rice flour and take it in a bowl.


To that, we will add the salt and mix well.


We will heat a pan and add the rice flour and salt mixture. We have to roast it over minimal heat for 7-8 minutes.



Thereafter we will add some 2 coffee mugs of hot water to it and stir for 3-4 minutes.



We will transfer the dough mixture in a bowl and let cool a bit, never shall let it go totally cool.


We must knead the mixture to a smooth dough when it is still warm. In the process, we may need a bit of warm water; use carefully, not too much!


I do not have an "official steamer"; I managed it this way. I had put a vessel, half filled with water on the gas stove top.


I had placed a steel colander on top of it.


I had covered it with a lid tied with a heavy towel. The idea is to lock the steam whilst cooking.


Whilst the water is boiling to get ready; we will tear small portions from the dough and make roundels. In my family, the shape is made oval; well more like the one of a spinning lattu / top. But, I was convenient with the round shape.


The help gave the finishing touch to the balls.


See the water is ready to start the cooking.


I had placed the colander again; use tongs for the job.


I had added the rice dough balls, and covered it with the towel tied lid.



I cooked it for 20-25 minutes at low heat and wow! Our soft, salty rice balls are ready!


Authentically, it is enjoyed with "nolen gur", you can have it with any sauce or curry. In absence of liquid date palm jaggery, I had it with melted coconut rock sugar. What a love! 




The microwave comes handy, true. The rest of what is left is the eating part; fresh & hot!







No comments :

Post a Comment