Monday 25 April 2022

MOTORSHUTI ALOO DIYE MAGUR MACH



I EXPERIMENT LESS WITH FISH CURRIES!

I mean they have to be almost Bengali style in my kitchen for me to enjoy them!Not all fish curries I cook is typical of my family. In those days, the family would cook in turns only the curries & vegetables the family had been used to having. For a couple of years I was fine with following the family's footsteps in the kitchen. Thereafter, I started blogging about food; in that case I cannot repeat share recipes. I discovered I cannot either be too innovative; I just cannot have fish, meat curries & vegetables on a regular basis that do not have a Bengali touch!Thick gravies on my plate put me off!So,I mix & match curries that is been in the family home for ages.The curry base of a koi mach I would use in a chara pona and that of a chara pona I would use in a walking cat fish / magur mach, with a little of twist that is acceptable to me!Like, the macher tok / sour fish curry I cooked with toman fillets simply suited me! I am supremely happy because I cannot turn a vegetarian!

YESTERDAY OR TODAY, I HAVE ONLY STORIES LACED WITH FOOD TO TELL YOU!

Yesterday's lunch was heavy for me; I ate that extra bit of brown rice with mach er tok I so love. The man ate but it is not their family recipe, so next time I would cook a normal curry with potato & tomato for them and my share of the toman fillet would go with a raw mango or a tamarind fish base!Liking a toman fillet is a relief; I need not run to the Bengali market and then get disappointed looking at the frozen fish packets.The fresh, small fish varieties in the Indian market can satisfy me but it would be wrong on my part to feed T those all the time; he loves fleshy fish! The son used to too, he does not even tell us what fish he is eating there.Every day mumma wants to know the details; he would not give in!And I ask, warn my bhai; the brother not to relay everything happening in this world to our mother!Yesterday, around 9pm, I felt I should go to the mall opposite to get our dinner. The man wanted chicken rice; I got him a three treasure chicken rice; I am craving for a burrito bowl since last night but I got home Yong Tau Foo for me yesterday night & today had a choice meal without the rice. Both would have good portions of vegetables, meat, fish! 








Just now Cristine & I shared a Mac's Strawberry Sunday, I hardly have these days. There I was walking in full sun today, I keep smelling a lemon leaf if feeling a bit awkward!The sight of "kolar kandi" hanging so low was replenishing, I draw energy from these really! There need not be any hot cuppa & snacks for me today; there can be a glass of chilled coffee or tea next. For dinner, I have something on mind! You bet, I have the refrigerator full stacked with cooked food!I should swim tomorrow, avoid eating out!


WHAT IS THIS MOTORSHUTI ALOO DIYE MAGUR MACH?

Motorshuti is green peas in English, Potato is Aloo. Usually, my family used this curry base for a Bengal Carp or Climbing Perch!I used magur mach instead!MOTORSHUTI ALOO DIYE MAGUR MACH is a Bengali style, non-vegetarian, gluten-free fish curry with green peas & potato, tomato!I remember, our mother used to cook one curry with walking cat fish using a good dose of Bengali Garam Masala Paste!I spent a month with her but forgot to ask certain recipe details.I am not in the habit of chatting with my family members, I do not like discussing much of family matters & people. I was either loiterring outdoors or sitting in my bedroom switching on the AC;Mani preferred dozing off switching on the television, Bhai was playing in his phone in another room.She actually enjoys staying in her Barrackpore Home!I feel content here so long she is active & her son is back from the office & resting; sitting beside his wife!In the whole thing what We miss severely is our son; when I retired to my room last night, I heard T singing the lullaby he sang when our boy was young!Let us have a virtual dinner together, my westernised men do like echorer dalna, tok dal!



INGREDIENTS :

MAGUR MACH / WALKING CAT FISH : 4-5 SMALL TO MEDIUM SIZED, WE NEVER BUY BIG SIZED

GREEN PEA : 1/2 SMALL TEA CUP

POTATO : 1 STANDARD SIZED

TOMATO : 1 STANDARD SIZED

GREEN CHILLI : 2-3 STANDARD SIZED

GINGER PASTE : 1 TBSP

CUMIN POWDER : 1 TSP

TURMERIC POWDER : 1 TSP

RED CHILLI POWDER : 1 TSP

SALT : AS REQUIRED

CUMIN SEED : 1/4 TSP

BAY LEAF : 1-2

OIL : 3-4 TBSP [I ALWAYS USE MUSTARD OIL]


PROCEDURE :

In a bowl, mix together the ginger paste, 1/2 tsp turmeric+cumin+red chilli powders & some salt, adding 2-3 tbsp of water!

Ask your fish vendor to cut & clean the fishes. You can wash them thoroughly under running water and marinate with some salt,1/2tsp of turmeric, few drops of oil because its a fish without scales.Keep aside for 5 minutes.

Wash & slit the green chillies.Wash the green peas.Peel, cut and cube the potato; wash & marinate with some salt!Wash & cut the tomato into six pieces.

Heat the oil in the wok & fry the fish pieces lightly, in batches.Take oil.

Temper the same oil with the bay leaves & cumin seeds; add the spice paste made. Keep stirring at low heat for 2-3 minutes. 

Add the tomatoes & potatoes, stir for a minute or two; add the green peas. Add 2 coffee mugs of water and bring to boil the gravy.

Cover cook at low heat for 3-4 minutes; remove cover and add the fried fish pieces. Cook covered or uncovered at low heat for another 4-5 minutes.We should be done!

Note: The taste would be best if we cook the fresh fish without at all refrigerating!






 



1 comment :

  1. Great combination! I havent tried Walking cat-fish before. It sounds good.

    ReplyDelete