Thursday 23 March 2017

TOMATO DIYE CHINGRIR PATLA JHOL


I am a "Bangal" Bengali and I have no fights with "Edeshio, Ghoti" Bengali. It is going over the head of many of my readers I know. Let me explain in short, The "Bangal" Bengalis migrated to West Bengal mainly, from East Bengal, now Bangladesh. Obviously there would be some differences in food habits and otherwise. Till our previous generation it was an issue.... though  apparent, I found it silly. I think we are already free from the tussle. Even if there is any, it is for fun, I hope. I am ok when someone says "tora to lota pata shobi khash", meaning you eat any stem, leaves or anything peeping out of the soil. I am not ok when someone says "lota pata manushe khai?".... meaning do / should humans eat all that grows in the soil? Hurting the sentiments of others is never my cuppa, hence I could never get along with certain people. This soft, calm yet rigid untamed horse never really gave into society's definition of relationship. It is us who should orchestrate our own life, wherein articulation is a major part. If one cannot be respectful to others, I cannot lend my shoulder to them. Hence, I may not be a good example of society's definition of a good family person or otherwise. To many, I am kind of nice more or less, some of them are showering me with sentimental posts since yesterday morning, getting into their skin, I could only justify their emotions. I felt let me go ahead today with this simple recipe of prawns cooked in a generous amount of tomatoes using less spices.

Prawns / Shrimps are found in many varieties and sizes in this island and they are.... oh so fresh! I remember those days back in the 90's when my sailor senior's ships were harboured in the island often. He used to say you know we had this big prawns or even bigger lobster at affordable prices. By then price of prawn started soaring high in Kolkata, going out of reach for the middle class Bengalis. The very common fight between the Bangal and Ghoti is over prawns and hilsa.... the former is more into hilsa  and the later are more fond of chingri / prawn. I am that Bangal who loves both, hilsa little more.....I am that Bangal who can cook 'shorshe-narcol loti' ..... yam stolons with mustard paste and coconut.... to shake hands with her Ghoti counter parts... and a spicy 'begun-tomato shutki'.... dried fish with egg plant and tomato to kiss my Bangal friend.... not all Bangals are fond of dried fish though, majority are. I am that Bangal who loves adding tomato and coriander leaves to her dishes .... mind it tomato was 'bilati begun' .... foreign eggplant to us less than a century back.

Call me a true heart Bangal when I blog about a 'loitta shutkir bhorta'.... dried bombay duck bharta. Until then, I am half of it who loves to add little sugar in her vegetarian dishes [unlikely of a Bangal], I think adding little sugar specially in mixed-veggies  enhances the taste. For now, let us enjoy together doing a quick recipe with fresh shrimps / prawn with tomato. We will use less spices here, hence we can call it healthy. Please do not go by the colour, the colour effect is for using a particular brand of chilli powder... which is rich in colour but not that hot. I do not always get my favourite Everest brand of Kashmiri Mirch here, I keep my alternatives ready.  I have not fried the fish too, our mom and grand mom will not approve of it.... the later will say 'itan khaina'... we don't eat this way, but they have also not met old man Dr. Chang who always says, why you people fry the fish and drain away all the nutrients I do not understand. Our conversation... "I love biryani" ... "me too Sir".... "I love to eat"... "me too Sir"... "I love fish" ... and a 'lifetime bond' is created.


INGREDIENTS :

Prawn / Shrimp : 500gm [medium sized, any variety]
Tomato : 2 big
Red Chilli Powder : 1 tsp
Cumin Powder : 1tsp
Coriander Powder : 1/2 tsp
Turmeric Powder : 1tsp
Bengali Panchphoron : 1/4tsp [a mix of fennel, cumin, nigella, fenugreek and asmod seeds]
Lemon Juice : 2tbsp
Salt : As Required
Oil : 2 tbsp

METHOD :

Do not discard the heads of the prawn, they add more taste to the curry. Our son eats only the flesh.

As of now de shell and de vein the prawns. Wash thoroughly under running water. Marinate with lemon juice, some turmeric powder and salt. Keep aside for half an hour.

Wash the tomatoes and chop roughly. Heat the oil in a wok. Temper with a bay leaf & the mixed whole spices. Your kitchen will fill with an aroma, add the tomato pieces to it. Keep stirring till the oil separates from it. Add the cumin, coriander, turmeric powders and the required amount of salt. Stir for a minute.

Drain the marinade and add the prawns. Stir and saute at low heat for 2-3 minutes. Add 2 coffee mugs of water and cover cook for 7-8 minutes. It is done.

Transfer to a serving bowl and enjoy hot with plain rice. Though not a fish, those who love it, they have it as a fish.... can we deny?






4 comments :

  1. Mouthwatering. The gravy is extremely tempting, this dish is going on my waiting list to be replicated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prawn curry looks lip smacking delicious!! My fav curry!!

    ReplyDelete