Monday 20 March 2017

KOCHI PATHAR KOSHA



What is that? Pardon.... who asked me that? Then you may not know much about our community hailing from the eastern part of India and also Bangladesh. Whichever part of the world we are in.... we will cherish a plate of piping hot rice and freshly made mutton curry.... but it definitely tastes best the next day. Happy my 'little brother'? Why do I call him little..... because he enjoys been treated as that.... the mamma's boy loves to be his sister's pet however I try to make him understand that you need to change your priorities with time.... so there is no reason why I should not love my sis-in-law for her patience and diligence. Do you think my brother will visit the page today.... no... he is too possessive about his sister. I am angry with him for so many reasons... not taking his studies and career seriously, inspite of having the potential, getting too much involved  in Formula1 races and  computer games and getting our son too much involved in the same. The twosome share a strong bond. He was good in athletics and cricket but never pursued. Mutton curries and biryani are his ultimate love, he could hardly get out of poori-paratha with meat curries and biryani till date. His wife loves Indo-Chinese, so he eats now. I must mention his craziness over KFC Chicken..... and however angry I am with him, he reaches the airport an hour before his sister reaches.

Yesterday, I enjoyed a colourful evening with few friends watching a dance show organised by Nritya Chanda.... love child of a Kathak dancer friend... Nibedita Chottopadhay.... she is not that fond of mutton as much as of chicken.... I may not have gone ahead with a mutton dish if she had kept my request.... ask me what? That is of choreographing and performing "Maar Dala" from the movie Devdas or "Mohe Rang Do Laal" from Baji Rao Mastani just for me.... At times, I feel had I have given music a serious thought long back... I would have lend my voice to her performance of the "Diwani Mastani" song from Baji Rao Mastani again..... how beautiful it is when two friends sing and dance for each other. Any young heart who wish to do it for this old soul? Coming to Nibedita aka Bobby, her husband it a wonderful cook and human being but today I will not talk about him...... I do not want another call around midnight from her asking.... 'whom do you love more.... me or my husband? You have to love me more'.... I always tell her I have never measured it... We do not always agree upon each other's ways but I must say she has a giving heart.

Yesterday, today there are a series of events.... most of my dear ones love mutton.... some with all smiles on their face, ask me .... can you go authentic Bengali for us today? Ok done.... rest who are up with slogans against red meat... I cannot give you much love because I will have a hot bowl of mutton soup at lunch before closing my eyes forever. Now you well know that a plate of rice and mutton kosha is a bliss for us. This dish of Kochi Pathar Kosha is done with young goat / lamb meat without using water. The tender pieces of meat is cooked in it's own juice and the marinade, covered and in slow fire. You can well understand how hassle free it is. This is kind of reading a book... listening to music and cooking kind of thing... help yourself with some salad for a guilt free eating. Come let us prepare Kochi Pathar Kosha together.

             

INGREDIENTS :

Young Goat / Lamb : 1kg
Plain Yogurt : 1 small tea cup
Lemon Juice : 2tbsp
Sliced Onion : 1/2 small cup
Red Chilli Powder : 1tbsp [I like it hot, you may adjust]
Turmeric Powder : 1tsp
Cinnamon Powder : 1/4tsp
Green Cardamom Powder : 3pinches
Cloves Powder : 2pinches
Ginger Paste : 1tsp
Garlic Paste : 2tbsp
Bayleaf : 1
Oil : 3tbsp + 2tbsp [preferably mustard]

METHOD :

We would preferably be using fat free meat for this particular dish. Wash the medium sized meat pieces thoroughly. Marinate with the beaten plain yogurt, lemon juice, 2tbsp oil, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, salt. Mix well and keep covered for 1&1/2 to 2 hours!

Peel, wash & slice the onions! Heat the oil. Temper with a bayleaf. Add the sliced onion and fry till brown.

Add the ginger garlic paste, the red chilli powder & 1/2 tsp turmeric powder and salt. Fry for about 2-3 minutes. Add the meat pieces without the marinade, we will add it later.

Fry at high heat for 2-3 minutes. Lower the heat to minimum. Add the marinade, fold in well and cover. The heat should be at minimum throughout the cooking process.

Remove the cover and stir every 5 minutes. A lot of water will release and the dish is done only when all the water dries up. Add the cinnamon, green cardamom and cloves powder. Stir well, let cook for another 2-3 minutes. It should be done.

Transfer to a serving bowl and enjoy with rice, South Asian / Indian Breads or any kind of toasted bread.








2 comments :

  1. This is not fair at all Soma. How can you make me so hungry now? We love such a mutton dish crazily. Oh-heaven, love its spiciness.

    ReplyDelete