Tuesday 14 March 2017

CHAALE DAALE MURGI


Well this is a modified version of a rice-lentil-chicken-vegetables hotch potch that I used to prepare for  our son back then as I did not wish to be Cerelac dependent for long. This modified version is just perfect on a week day night! Yesterday, I was too lazy to cook a three to five course meal, moreover I was eager to have a "telepathic" conversation with someone, then I see quite a few number of "someones" who deserve accolades one way or the other... rose, orchid,  lily, marigold, sunflower ..... all together giggling in that cut glass vase. 

Around 3 pm I feel an urge for an afternoon nap, that is by default been a Bengali. Just then, someone appeared and said .... "I use Johnson, do you?" I was totally floored, you know why?... Come on, that was how Imran Khan asked in the Cinthol ad "I use Cinthol, do you?" That was in the 80's and you know well my answer. So, I said .... for you I can buy a box full of Johnson..... happy? Yes, it will make you feel nearer to me. I asked, how come your parents let you travel all along alone to me?.... Well, they went out on a romantic movie date and said... "you can go and spend some time with the old lady. You know you are not that old as they say.... Is it? What else do they say?.... That you have a habit of intruding in other's home... Johnson says, "I have not come alone, some of my friends have come too.... they sing, dance, cook, paint. Come in angels... the old lady says.... They say .... the strands of silver make you look graceful... do not worry. Smiling at them I say, however good you are to me, there will be no hunky... junky party today... let us have something wholesome..... and we all dance and play together..... " sarey ke sarey... gama ko lekar gaate chaale"......

That is when I woke up, while the Johnson-y- smell lingered on. This dish of rice-dal-meat-veggie was learnt from a friend.... sweet and sleek Smita Banerjee.... wife of a bad, old, demon.... but he cooks well. Smita is a certified Rabindra Sangeet singer... their daughter Ditsha Banerjee paints and cook too..... she  told she will never marry my son who used to beat her a lot then. This makes my senior sad as his eyes are always stuck on Smita's gold ornaments. As of me, I will go with my son's wish.... this again I have learnt from my man .... we are here to guide our kids and not decide their life. Let me stop talking too much and cook together with you a wholesome plate of Chaale Daale Murgi / Rice Lentils Chicken. Yesterday, it happened to be our parent's marriage anniversary too, they would like it too though not chicken lovers! I had it with yogurt and salad... you may too....


INGREDIENTS :

Chicken : 8 pieces [medium cut]
Rice : 1 coffee mug
Cholar / Chana Dal : 1/2 coffee mug [split Bengal Gram]
Potato : 2-3  medium sized
Chopped Coriander : 2 tbsp
Slitted Green Chilli : 2-3
Onion Paste : 2 tbsp
Green Cardamom : 3-4
Clove : 3-4
Cinnamon Stick : 3-4 one inch length
Bay Leaf : 2-3
Mace : 3-4
Star Anise : 1-2
Turmeric Powder : 1tsp + 1/2 tsp
Red Chilli Powder : 2 tsp
Ginger Paste : 2 tsp
Garlic Paste : 2 tbsp
Salt : As Required
Lemon Juice : 3-4tbsp
Oil : 2 tbsp
Ghee : 3tbsp + 2tbsp [clarified butter]

METHOD :

Wash the rice and cook in enough water along with a little of salt, whole cinnamon, green cardamom, cloves, star anise, mace! Drain the water once 80% done, keep aside.

Soak the chana dal in hot water for 2 hours and boil at low heat using one big cup water. Let cool. The dal grain has to remain intact even after boiling and with little of water!

The chicken pieces have to be marinated for an hour rubbed with turmeric powder, salt, lemon juice, onion+garlic+ginger pastes, red chilli powder!

Peel, wash and cut each potato into halves. Heat the oil in a wok. Apply little salt in the potato pieces and fry till light brown.

Take out the potatoes. Temper the oil with bay leaves and add the marinated chicken! Give a stir and cover cook at minimal heat for 15 minutes! We are to check in between!

Remove the cover & add the potatoes, cook further for 8-10 minutes, covered. Switch off thereafter!

In another wok, heat 3 tbsp ghee / clarified butter & temper with a bay leaf! Add the chicken and give a stir! Add the cooked rice, the boiled lentil and fold in gently. Cover and cook at minimal heat for 5-6  minutes. 

Remove the cover & add the  rest of the ghee, washed & chopped coriander. Fold in gently and we are done!

Serve hot with raita and salad.









4 comments :