Wednesday 8 August 2018

LEMON GRASS FLAVOURED CORIANDER CHICKEN


I will take the liberty to call it a "Thai Inspired" Chicken Green Curry! As I always say I hardly cook authentic when it comes to cuisines of other cultures! I lack that energy or sincerity to get all the ingredients at one place and then proceed with the recipe.... misery is one more reason... haha! I am only particular about anything that belong to the Kitchen of Bengal.... like I will never garnish a "kanchakola diye rui maacher jhol" with coriander leaves.... Rohu / Bengal Carp was / is cooked with raw banana and potato when we had been / are sick.... coriander leaves would definitely not be used when your stomach is weak and not in a position to digest it! Rujuta Diwekar is not wrong either when she says that our grandparents knew a bit without acquiring a MBBS degree..... there must be reason why many big shots rely on her for maintaining their health! I keep taking her name or Milind Soman's not because they have deployed me in exchange of fat pay checks per month.... I just find very sensible what they say or may be they are more active in the social media.... there is one more reason.... Rujuta allows me to eat "ghee te bhaja luchi-porota".... oh how thankful I am to learn from the different food forums that adding some semolina while preparing your luchi / poori dough keeps them fluffy for a longer period.... 

I love discussing here the people who keep me inspiring in one way or the other! There are many writers who we read.... [am I reading these days at all?] but I keep taking name of this Twinkle Khanna frequently for one simple reason.... she being in an environment which prioritise dresses and accessories and make up at all times, did not give in to that totally! She developed a fan following for herself who like her for her finer skills of writing, speaking and taking actions on socially relevant issues! My boy friends should not be jealous of Akshay Kumar's physique alone .... know that a "churake dil mera goriya chali" to "Padman" is a long, sweaty journey... in that transformation.... a spouse has a big role to play! Excuse me if I have caused fire at your home... My home is always at burning point, I will not leave you! We must admit that a "churake dil mera" got him fame, fat amounts in the bank, a qualitatively high profile wife! We will not take a dig at how one gets up there... if its hard work and not theft, robbery or treachery.... its no worry! 

Wish I was wise enough to accept that what I do not like need not be wrong! Haha! I am learning... what? No, not to accept what I dislike but to close my eyes to anything that does not attract me! At present, my eyes are stuck onto a black saree of Vidya Balan.... those who follow her page must have seen it posted last week... I simply adore her for she proved that you do not need to have a perfect BMI or to pose in minimal clothes to get scripts written revolving you.... sheer talent shines bright even in a male dominated industry! I follow all these people to keep me going.... without any expectation.... I do not expect from people in my friend's list either.... We should do what we wish to! This morning I woke up to a very beautiful post of a Bengali poet I follow.... Srijato Bandhopadyay... read what he wrote yesterday and that is so true about Kolkata.... or say Indians.... all the ruckus is created for petty, motivated, destructive interests! To give due respect to his post I had to go Bengali today but I wished to share this South East Asian inspired chicken dish instead .... LEMONGRASS FLAVOURED CORIANDER CHICKEN!

Chicken or say a meat curry solves a lot of problem at this home.... the mumma does not have to debone a fish... the wife either prepares fried rice, pulao or puffed or flat breads to go with a meat curry! This LEMONGRASS FLAVOURED CORIANDER CHICKEN makes things even easier for me... it goes best with steamed rice.... to be precise with sticky rice! The senior at this home will stick to his love for Basmati.... son and Cristine are ok with all varieties, I serve them Basmati! I prepare my own bowl of red rice and store it for 2-3 days! In between... if I crave for some rice during lunch, I take a little amount and mix with my salad! It is a good idea.... my ideas are not always a trash... you can follow! The son's result day is approaching nearer, you will see me unorganised now.... more than I am usually! At this home the father is not bothered about the son's academics.... he wants him to pursue what he wishes.... the son chose English, Spanish, Mathematics, World History & Political Administration kind of, Business Analytics, Environmental System..... the mother has nothing to say... its patriarchy at its best! They decided without even asking me! All this while I heard the teachers saying that the tailed creature is good in Physics and Chemistry! 

Ok fine, I will confine myself to the kitchen. I am disturbed indeed without expecting the son to make me happy with numbers! They do not wish to make me happy! Till date I could not sit with the son and have some talk! Off course, I have that much literacy in me to give him some important lessons of life ..... I will prove it in right time that it is very indecent to call a new comer girl in the family fat, dwarf, aged looking as compared to the son of the house.... further asking her to keep her mouth shut when "family members" are talking! I do not wish to get nasty but memories betray, the Scorpio traits in me betray .... the belief strengthens that women do cause women harm. It feels good to see when some women lift other women... its definitely a quality to adore! I am already off track as always! Let us do a quick brush up with the ingredients for this chicken curry, I have few guests tomorrow coming for lunch.... its a holiday here.... I have to cook from today, it relaxes me! My kind of LEMONGRASS FLAVOURED CORIANDER CHICKEN has lemon grass, lemon leaf, coconut milk, green chilli paste, black pepper powder, fresh coriander paste in it as the main ingredients! We also had a light fish curry, ridge gourd curry and dal / lentil curry in the platter on that day! Not every day I am lucky enough to get "tyangra and bacha" in the market! We were never fond of bacha mach / fish, here it comes fresh; hence, I get!


As of now, let us have some easy and yum chicken curry with some rice, dal and veggies!


INGREDIENTS : 

Chicken : 1kg medium cut
Eggplant : 3-4small sized
Green Pea : 1/4small cup
Onion : 1medium [peeled, both ends discarded, sliced]
Minced Garlic : 1tbsp
Ginger Paste : 1tbsp
Black Pepper Powder : 1tsp
Green Chilli Paste : 1tsp
Fresh Coriander Paste : 2tbsp
Coconut Milk : 1medium cup
Lemon Juice : 2tbsp
Lemon Grass : 2stick
Turmeric Powder : 1/2tsp
Lemon Leaf : 2-3
Salt : As Required
Oil : 2-3tbsp

PROCEDURE :

Wash the already cut chicken thoroughly and drain the excess water.

Marinate the chicken with salt, black pepper powder, lemon juice and turmeric powder for an hour!

Cut the root end of the eggplants and then cut half each one. Wash and soak in water. Take out and add some salt only 2-3 minutes before we add them to the boiling curry.

Discard the outer layers of the lemon grass sticks and cut off the 2 ends. We will only use the inner core of it.... Chop and then crush them.

Prepare a paste of washed, roots discarded fresh coriander leaves and green chillies.

Heat oil in a pan and temper with lemon grass and minced garlic... stir.

Add the washed, sliced onions and fry till golden brown.

Add the ginger paste, stir for 2 minutes.

Add the marinated chicken and fold in well.

Cover cook for 12-13 minutes at minimal heat.

Open cover and add the washed lemon leaves.

Cover cook for another 6-7 minutes.

Open cover and add the egg plant pieces, fresh coriander paste, green chilli paste, coconut milk and salt as required.

Cook without cover now for 3-4 minutes. Add the green peas and cook further for 2-3 minutes.

We are done! I might have added the coconut milk a little early, hence, the curry got thicker!

Enjoy this chicken curry fresh with steamed rice, but we had with cornmeal+refined flour flatbread / porota / paratha!






2 comments :

  1. love the idea of clubbing two different flavours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amrita... it is truly a very flavourful curry!

      Delete