Monday 11 February 2019

TIL TOMATO MURGI




It was just like the other usual Sundays in our life yesterday except for the cooking part. I do not wish to engage in the kitchen on a Sunday... not because I have stopped loving to cook, but that aftermath I am so scared of.... the cleaning part! My men are not the kind who will eat the leftover prasadam the next day, who will make them believe how heavenly can be the taste of "bashi khichuri".... So, I cooked yesterday this non vegetarian meat dish TIL TOMATO MURGI, "Dhonepata Diye Mushurir Dal", "Sheem Aloo Diye Sultan Maacher Jhol"..... This Sultan fish is a good substitute for fresh, smaller or medium sized Rohu of Kolkata! It comes from the neighbouring state... caught fresh & delivered! In fact, the husband just started off for our neighbour but he is not the kind who will get his wife a dozen of "hansher dim or fresh tyangra" from there!.... However, the wife will hover around silly, negative thoughts for the next four hours, he is driving today. The husband had thrown away my sedatives many springs back and did not allow to have them thereafter. There was a time when he had to take me to the university for the evening shift BeD classes as the strong sedatives would not allow me to get down at the right stop... Then & there he told "you are your best counsellor S".... I am putting through this message to few parents who I know are just spoiling a bright future... I hope they are reading this! 

Anyway, at this home people cause me irritation all the time.... I cannot retaliate in fear of the neighbours, who may rush to our home anticipating a "marpit".... severe kind of chaos happening between the tiger and the deer.... thinking the latter might  lay bleeding. Things are not that serious either... look at what I made him eat for dinner yesterday. He did not notify me earlier that he will be going on a tour, more so he will be driving! I simply gave my dictate... you have to eat the "patali gurer payesh, nelekata" and the gulab jamun that I got for you before you leave home. He would not eat khichuri, payesh and sweetmeats together. Our fight carries on over all these you see below.... I am totally against offering guests hard drinks during special prayers... neither do our friends want. Since, the nonbeliever accepts me performing rituals at this home, he makes it a point to have them saying if he does not stop me doing what I like, I should not too! I look at my brother to learn more of the balancing act! You all should know by now that our mother did not raise "strong personalities".... as long as us siblings get everything being done for us, we do not mind it either... haha! The world only belong to those who have a voice.... When this same world speaks against smoking, the man of this house gets new flavours... this one a cigarillo...





What else were you doing S, besides cooking and cleaning? Well, Cristine did tell me to keep the cleaning part for her to come back and do. I could not, you cannot imagine how much of a back up she gives to me on such days... she deserved that much needed Sunday break. I finally was done around 5 pm yesterday... I was not willing to get it ordered from outside... the husband has to eat outside for 3 days now! Thereafter, I needed a kind of coffee break, the way I like... I had it with a Japanese cake that Sanak got for us and the two ingredient bread I made with ice-cream and self rising flour.... you heard it right... I learnt it from Vijula Girish whose page Vijula's Kitchen has awesome baked recipes. I could have shared Vijula's page in public but before that I have to mention in public the names of at least 10-15 food bloggers for whom my blog is alive. Since, I am not a sincere observant or thinker, I refrain myself from all such activities. 

Where was I? Okay, white chocolate wrapped cake is not for me... the son will love.. the husband never has anything with tea... He does not run a kilometre but stopped having biscuits saying that the flavour of tea should be enjoyed alone.... sugar & milk makes tea flavoured milk drinks, not tea..... but that too is one opinion... there can be counter opinions. In between, I had my lunch around 3pm with "dal, shim aloo diye maacher jhol, TIL TOMATO MURGI".... The chicken curry was impromptu and tasted good.... the fish curry and dal offcourse are authentic Bengali... 

Chicken lovers should not mind my dislike for it... I will always have a neck or a small, boney piece! The rest Cristine will eat little and to my convenience... the son will be immensely happy till tomorrow night to see mumma serving him chicken in almost all meals. The son took egg fried rice in his lunch box and mumma had to taste it early morning. At night yesterday, I should have skipped that paratha, why I had to eat it with "panchmeshali tarkari" and nectarine I do not know. For lunch today, I will have the "gota sheddo" that Ipsita has sent for me and a fruit bowl with nectarine and oranges. How I wish to add some cream atop the fruits, but will not! What is stopping me from starting with a decent diet plan? I know the reason... not feeling motivated enough.... I have lost the focus... but others should not! I find pleasure in food... a variety of... again... others should not!





I tread alone to no where,
You stop me.... despair...
A sudden Cyclone drops me...
On a chair... I rest my head on the T-able!
I eat...  for the soul seek pleasure...
I pick myself up and walk ... in utter dismal
.... for I have never learnt to...
fill in, shut it ... forget!

Besides cooking, cleaning and eating.... I had to do some soul cleansing activity too before retiring for the day with loads of unnecessary carbs inside... the reason why I ask people not to follow my footsteps.... neither will I take any kind of lectures from anyone... on do's and don'ts...


Yes, I did marinate the chicken in tandoori masala and then slow cooked it in roasted sesame seeds and tomato paste.



INGREDIENTS :

CHICKEN : 1KG [MEDIUM CUT]
WHITE SESAME SEED : 1-11/2TBSP [ROASTED]
TOMATO : 2BIG
SLICED ONION : 1 SMALL TEA CUP
GINGER PASTE : 2TSP
GARLIC PASTE : 11/2TBSP
TANDOORI MASALA : 1TBSP
TURMERIC : 1TSP
RED CHILLI POWDER : 2-3TBSP [ADJUST YOURS]
CINNAMON STICK : 2-3 TWO INCH STICK
GREEN CARDAMOM : 2-3
CLOVE : 3-4
STAR ANISE : 1
BAYLEAF : 1
LEMON JUICE : 3-4TBSP
SALT : AS REQUIRED
OIL : 1/3SMALL TEA CUP

PROCEDURE :

Wash the chicken pieces under running water. Drain all the water and marinate with the tandoori masala, turmeric powder, lemon juice and salt. Keep aside for an hour.

Dry roast the white sesame seeds at low heat for a minute, take out... keep aside and let cool.

Chop the tomatoes, slice the peeled onion.... wash them.

Once cool... prepare a paste with the dry roasted sesame seeds and tomato.

Take the ginger and garlic paste, salt as required, red chilli powder in a bowl, add 2tbsp water to it and mix well.

Heat oil in a wok and temper with the bay leaf, cinnamon stick, green cardamoms, clove and star anise. Give a stir.

Add the sliced onions and fry until brown in low heat ... but not burnt.

Add the ginger-garlic-red chilli powder mixture and fold in well. Stir for 2-21/2 minutes at low heat for the raw smell to go.

Add the white sesame seed and tomato paste now and keep stirring. This will take some time to get the desired consistency..... say 5-7 minutes.

Add the chicken pieces now, leaving the marinade.

Fold in well and keep stirring at high heat for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to minimal and add the marinade. Fold in well.

Cover cook at minimal heat for some 20-25 minutes stirring in between ... it should be done. If required add a cup of water while halfway done... its supposed to release water!

Have it with rice or flat breads .... of any kind.








No comments :

Post a Comment