Friday 8 February 2019

POSTO DIYE KANCHA TOMATO


Posto / Poppy Seed has become an yearly affair now.... if I visit Kolkata mid year, know that I day dreamt of 'posto' one summer afternoon and called the husband at office to buy me a ticket to Kolkata! Yes, Poppy Seed means that much to a Bengali. It is not that a Bengali in a foreign land do not get it, unfortunately it is banned in our island. The rule bound husband does not allow me to get even 100gm of it. I do not sit and cry... I have incorporated sesame seeds in our diet instead. 

You see, if you do not prepare the poppy seed paste in a "shil nora".... Bengali manual paste maker... you will not get the right texture. I have noticed that a poppy seed paste and roasted white sesame seed paste tastes almost the same if done in a blender. I do not know what result would a food processor give. The truth is that when the grapes seem too high as compared to our reach, we get satisfied with the few lying on the ground! Posto / Poppy Seed was a regular at our home although not in that frequency as in a Bengali family of West Bengal origin. 

I do not understand this East Bengal-West Bengal divide when it comes to cuisine .... I do add sugar in the vegetarian dishes and love 'posto'. What I hear is that when a majority of the Bengalis migrated to West Bengal, they picked up the use of poppy seed in their cooking. Does it mean that the people of East Bengal never ate 'posto'? I have doubt in this theory. I never had discussions on this matter with the family veterans. Any such comment without a research is unwelcome. This recipe of POSTO DIYE KANCHA TOMATO ... that is green, unripe tomatoes cooked with poppy seed paste shall be welcome at many of your homes.

This simple vegetarian dish has been learnt from my mother who in turn learnt it from somewhere else. The dish is very Bengali in essence, how authentic I do not know. I have never seen it been cooked at the grand parent's home or at the relative's. Green Tomatoes first entered our home when I was in High School. One day, the mother told green tomatoes and poppy seeds paste make a good pair. From where she has learnt I do not remember... kancha tomato / green tomato was not at all a pricey stuff at Dum Dum Bazaar but the price of posto / poppy seeds had been spiralling always. 

I instantly loved the vegetarian item besides the dal and non vegetarian meat or fish dish being served. Thereafter, I have asked mani to prepare it a couple of times... but green tomato is seasonally available in Kolkata... not many sellers do keep it. I cannot be at Kolkata at all seasons to get the best of all. That is similar as in life... we cannot get everything we wish for... That is what my newly found friend and me failed at and ended up no where in life perhaps! I very much wish to meet the author just to ask who inspired him to sketch the main character and why he had to meet Mrinalini after 18 years and not 16-17-19-20! 

Coincidence and real gets jumbled up within but  the "mistress of spices" did add the right amount of salt in POSTO DIYE KANCHA TOMATO. That gives a feel of comfort... also the discovery that there are more of my kinds around... be it a fictional character.... that I have some amount of sanity left in me .... About the dish... my side of the family do not use chilli paste or turmeric in poppy seed dishes.... the husband's side do. I do it both ways.... this one has green chilli paste in it and turmeric too. You can use tomatillo for this dish if not my swallow knowledge about food is too wrong! What I only regret is the red chilli atop the dish... I usually do not associate an ingredient not eaten in this island to red.... they consider their prime colour! I was too excited to be able to eat 'posto' after a gap of 11/2 years, I overlooked it!



INGREDIENTS :

GREEN TOMATO : 4
POPPY SEED : 2-3TBSP [RESIDENTS OF SINGAPORE & DUBAI SHOULD USE ROASTED WHITE SESAME SEED]
GREEN CHILLI : 2
DRY RED CHILLI : 2
NIGELLA SEED : 2PINCH [KALONJI / KALOJEEREY]
TURMERIC POWDER : 1/4TSP
SALT : AS REQUIRED
SUGAR : 1/2TSP [OPTIONAL]
OIL : 2TBSP [WE ALWAYS USE MUSTARD OIL]

PROCEDURE :

Wash the kancha tomato / green tomatoes well and cut each into 4 pieces. Wash again and marinate then with little salt and a pinch of turmeric. Rub well and keep aside for 15-20 minutes.

We have already soaked the poppy seeds in hot water for an hour or so. Drain the water through a strainer and add the poppy seeds to a blender. Add two washed green chillies and half a small tea cup of water. Blend pausing in between until we get a more or less smooth paste.

[I never get the right consistency of poppy seeds paste in a blender as in a "shil nora.... mine is either half done or a fine paste]

Anyway, heat oil in a pan or a wok and temper with the nigella seeds and 2 dry red chillies.

Add the poppy seeds paste and stir fry at low heat for 2 minutes or so.

Take out and store on a plate retaining as much of oil as possible in the wok or the pan.

Add the green tomatoes to the wok along with the marinade, add the rest of the turmeric powder. Give a stir and reduce the heat to the lowest.

Cover with a lid and let cook at the lowest heat for some 5-6 minutes. If a little of water has released we do not need to add water. If not, add 1/2 a small tea cup of water. Cover cook for 2-3 minutes at a very low heat.

Open cover and add the cooked poppy seeds paste, adjust the salt, add the sugar. Fold in well and cook uncovered at low heat for 2 minutes stirring constantly.

Transfer to a serving bowl, enjoy hot & fresh with any variety of rice.... brown, red, matta or with chapati! You can use tomatillo instead of green tomatoes... I have never tasted it in life!







No comments :

Post a Comment