Wednesday 27 February 2019

FISH KACHORI


I have literally fallen in love with this new way of preparing kachori / stuffed South Asian Bread, just that I cannot call it kochuri as the Bengalis always use rolling pin to roll their bread! I am thinking of making these stuffed breads a weekly affair at home given that they are hassle free and take lesser time than usual... Trust me they are a keep.... just do not pack them in the lunch boxes... they get soggy once cold. The best part is that this FISH KACHORI does not require any side dish. Different kinds of chutneys, dips, sauces are just fine. My personal favourite is this chutney made of fresh coriander & mint, green chillies, a garlic clove, black salt and yogurt. I do not know why some of the South Asian restaurants or Catering Services add an artificial food colouring to it. It is not required at all. Last week, on Thursday, Friday & Saturday there were a kind of food fair at home... I totally forgot the man of the house will be travelling on Sunday afternoon. I could not afford the mutton to freeze for another week ... the plan was to have a Kabuli Pulao and Kachori with a fish stuffing back to back over the weekend. 

T does get angry with his wife being this nagging .... but when I tell him the stories of "all perfect, too much in love" husband & wife in social media .... he cools down. This home never have their meals on the dining table.... one eats in his room while surfing... we have it sitting in front of the television.... I tear a small piece of the stuffed bread, dip it in to the chutney.... turn to the husband and say... "people so successfully put up a good show, maintain a public facet, I never could acquire this quality".... The public is never eager to see the real you, they want "chamak-dhamak".... the reason why Bollywood can reach the heart of the masses. However, I will always remain myself and take pleasure in the simple things like giggling alone watching my flowering green chilli plant or the "rokto joba" peeping out and soaking in the sunlight. I am happy about few more things... this time I successfully made a "chaltar achar"... last year it got drier. I called up the mother to enquire whether she used to boil the elephant apple or just cooked it in jaggery syrup... I followed her instructions and remember how she sunbathed jars of pickle she made of 3-4 varieties in the two major seasons. Now for at least 10 days the pickle will get a sun bath and then a homemade, spice mixture is to be added before it goes up in the blog!




Happiness is not only in each bite of FISH KACHORI but  also in making your loved ones listen to you a bit. I had to say something to my brother yesterday and I am happy that I could make my stand clear to him.... that he agreed to behave.... may be his mood is fine because Kimi's performance this season is good... haha! I always tell him to bring on the good qualities he possesses ... rest are not required... neither in public nor in private! Yesterday, I did not go out for my lunch... I asked Cristine to prepare an upma... the way I prefer "jhurjhurey" .... she did so with millet &vegetables. My concern is that I just could not identify the millet variety... I bought it but Cristine had already thrown away the packet.


I and my forgetful self will go out, get more burnt, sit in a food court and have my choice of something.... the last one is important to me.... getting to have what I wish! No wonder, yours truly will have two kachoris / stuffed breads whenever she prepares them. My men will prefer anything be it a South Asian Bread or a sandwich or a wrap with this spice laden fish filling than a very authentic Bengali bony fish curry. I do feel sad, very much when that enthusiasm of sighting anything that is authentic & say primitively Bengali turns into ashes when they do not enjoy having dishes like "batabuti, chocchori, shukto, chechki, ghyat" ..... However, my taste bud is turning into that of the primitive, family veterans'.... will cook those for myself.  They are definitely a keep for those like me... who even if stationed in Iceland will manage "shutkir bhorta to sheem bata to laupatai mora kechki maacher bora" in her kitchen... At 48, I am at large into the shoes of the family veterans.... it was inevitable perhaps!



INGREDIENTS FOR FISH STUFFING :

ANY FIRM WHITE FISH FILLET : 500GM
SLICED ONION : 1SMALL TEA CUP [WASHED]
MINCED GARLIC : 1TBSP [WASHED]
MINCED GINGER : 1TSP [WASHED]
CHOPPED FRESH CORIANDER : 1SMALL TEA CUP [WASHED]
CHOPPED GREEN CHILLI : 11/2-2TBSP [ADJUST]
RED CHILLI POWDER : 1TSP
GARAM MASALA POWDER : 1TSP
TURMERIC POWDER : 1/2TSP
LEMON JUICE : 1/4SMALL CUP
SALT : AS REQUIRED
CUMIN SEED : 1/2TSP
OIL : 4TBSP

INGREDIENTS FOR THE DOUGH :

REFINED FLOUR : 2 COFFEE MUG
SEMOLINA : 1/2 MEDIUM TEA CUP
GHEE / CLARIFIED BUTTER : 2TBSP
SALT : AS REQUIRED

WHAT WE NEED FINALLY :

THE DOUGH
THE FISH FILLING
OIL : 150GM

PROCEDURE :

Let us prepare the fish filling first.


I washed the fillets and marinated with a pinch of salt and the lemon juice for an hour.

I drained the marinade and washed the fish again. I microwaved it at high for 4-5 minutes adding a big cup of water and a little salt. Once cold, I drained the water.

I heated 4tbsp oil in a wok and tempered it with cumin seeds, minced ginger & garlic, chopped green chillies, then stirred it for 1/2 a minute.

Then I added the sliced onion and fried until brown. Thereafter we need to add the boiled fish, fold in well and just break into smaller pieces with the back of your ladle.

After stirring the content for 2-3 minutes at medium heat, we will add the turmeric powder, red chilli powder, garam masala and fold in well.

Let us stir for 2-3 minutes and add the chopped coriander, adjust the salt. Fold in very well and stir for another 2-3 minutes. We are done... let it cool.

Now the dough for the kachori / stuffed bread!


Take all the ingredients mentioned for the making of the dough on a bowl and rub well for 2 minutes.

Add warm water little by little and keep kneading. It may take some 8-10 minutes to get the desired soft, pillowy dough.

Cover it for 15-20 minutes. Remove cover. Tear off small portions and smoothen in between you palms.

Make a hollow and add some filling with a spoon.


Close it properly so that there is no possibility of the filling to ooze out.


Flatten softly in between your palms. They should be ready to fry.


I missed to click the pictures of frying them... was too eager to have them may be. Okay, know that they will not fluff up much as we have not rolled them thinner. They taste amazing when had fresh & hot. Reheating may cause them to get soggy!




No comments :

Post a Comment