Thursday 11 June 2015

CHICKEN IN COCONUT MILK




This is a multi 'inspired' dish I can say. When I cooked it I did not follow the authenticity of the original recipe, partly because I did not have all the ingredients to give it an authentic tag. Most of the time I do not go that extra mile and prefer preparing a dish with whatever ingredients available in my pantry. Perhaps, a kind of lethargy is taking over me. I used curry leaves in the tempering, lemon grass. dried shrimps in the spice paste too. My family is a huge fan of Thai and Indonesian curries. I was exploring through various such recipes, then according to my convenience and the ingredients available, I landed into this recipe which tasted pretty well.

If in a kitchen, Chicken takes the predominance suiting the taste buds, the lady of the house has to find out new ways of cooking the lean meat. Still a learner in the arena of world cuisine, I take up only simple ones which are within my limits and I have no qualms in admitting  that. In the recent years I have started using coconut milk in cooking, like it. Back home coconut milk was used occasionally while preparing the royal goldachingrir malaikari.... In general Bengalis use grated coconut more than its milk.... if I am not wrong! Along with the coconut milk used in it, I like the aroma of curry leaves and more of the lemon grass... just love it . So here goes the recipe of CHICKEN IN COCONUT MILK.




INGREDIENTS :[main]
Chicken : 500 gm
Coconut Milk : 100 ml
Curry Leaves : 7-8
Salt : As required
Turmeric Powder : 1tsp
Lemon Juice : 3-4 tbsp
Oil : 3tbsp

INGREDIENTS :[the spice paste]
Shallot : 4-5
Lemon Grass : 3-4 two inch pieces of the young portion
Dry Red Chillies : 4
Roasted Coriander Seeds : 1/2 tsp
Garlic : 6-7 cloves
Ginger : 2 two inch pieces
Dried Shrimp : 11/2 tbsp

METHOD :
Wash the chicken pieces and marinate with salt, turmeric, lemon juice for about an hour.

Soak the lemon grass and dry red chillies in hot water for about 30 minutes.

Prepare a paste using the blender with peeled shallots, lemon grass, dry red chillies, dried shrimps, roasted coriander seeds, garlic and ginger adding water as required.

Heat oil in a wok. Add the curry leaves As they splutter, add the spice paste.

Stir for 2-3 minutes adding little salt and turmeric powder.

Add the chicken now and stir at high heat for 4-5 minutes.

Lower the heat and cover cook for 20-25 minutes stirring occasionally.

Uncover and add the coconut milk and cover cook for another 7-8 minutes at low heat.

Serve fresh with piping hot steamed rice.







No comments :

Post a Comment