Saturday 5 March 2016

DAHI ALOO / LEHSUNI BHINDI / KASURI METHI PARATHA



Pretty busy with other priorities, I was not getting time to sit and write about what I am cooking. How much of busy I am, cooking never stops for me; my men are not kitchen friendly people. Besides, end of the day I love to cook for my family. Many of you will agree that it gives immense pleasure doing so. I believe if you love doing something and there is no pressure on you in doing so.... it does not rob you of your women's lib. A couple of my male friends are excellent cooks, they do it for their family just for the love of doing it, that does not make them less of a man. Do and practice freely what you love doing; that makes you happy.... My man whips up wonderful coffee but hardly makes it these days. I remember, when we had set up a separate home for ourselves, the son was not yet born, I was learning to cook. Bored of getting naan from the local restaurants, I was trying my hands on triangular shaped parathas, he had shown me how to roll it without giving much pressure with the rolling pin. We definitely learn a thing well when we enjoy the learning session.

This was a vegetarian platter I cooked up a while ago. As I always say my men are so fond of non-vegetarian meals, once a week I force them to eat an all veggie meal. I was in their league a few years back; now my taste bud has changed, though I cannot become a vegetarian given my love for some non-vegetarian dishes. So I prefer a balanced meal of a non veg dish, a veg dish and a lentil for the regular family meals. This is a complete vegetarian meal of garlic tempered lady finger, potatoes in yogurt and dried fenugreek parathas. We have to travel to the Indian market for fresh fenugreek leaves, so I keep a kasuri methi packet at home always. So this platter of lehsuni bhindi, dahi aloo and kasuri methi paratha did go well with us all. Let us do them one by one.




                                                              LEHSUNI BHINDI




This was a recipe daddy used to have in one of his office canteen, the office canteen boy made this well. So one day he told my mom to prepare it and serve with rotis. Then it became a regular dish at our home. It is too simple to do and good to eat. We learn from everywhere, thats the way it should be.

INGREDIENTS :

Lady Finger : 250gm
Garlic : 1tbsp[minced]
Dry Red Chilli : 2[halved]
Nigella Seeds : 1/4tsp
Turmeric Powder : 1tsp
Salt : As required
Green Chilli : 2[slitted]
Oil : 2tbsp

METHOD :

Wash the lady fingers. Dry with a soft cotton cloth. Discard the two ends. Cut half or into 3 pieces. Rub with salt and turmeric powder. Keep aside for 10 minutes.

Heat oil in a wok. Temper with nigella seeds, dry red chillies and the minced garlic. As they turn golden brown and give a nice aroma, add the lady fingers. Toss well.

Cover the wok and stir every 1 minute. Lower heat to minimum. After 2-3 minutes, add 1/4 small cup water . Stir carefully. Once the water dries up, its done.

Enjoy with any kind of Indian breads.


                                                                   DAHI ALOO



The other day I wished to prepare potatoes in yogurt. There must be a number of recipes on it, but I did it in my own way.

INGREDIENTS :
Potatoes : 2-3big sized
Yogurt : 100-150gm
Onion Paste : 1/2 medium tea cup
Ginger Paste : 2tsp
Garlic Paste : 3tsp
Fenugreek Seeds : 2pinches
Fennel Seeds : 2pinches
Mustard Seeds : A pinch
Dry Red Chilli : 3-4[halved]
Dry Red Chilli Powder : 1tsp
Cumin Powder : 1tsp
Coriander Powder : 1/2tsp
Turmeric Powder : 1/2tsp
Salt : As required
Coriander Leaves : 1tbsp[chopped, I ran out of it]
Oil : 4tbsp

Method :

Peel, wash and boil the potatoes till half done in enough water. Let cool and apply salt and turmeric.

Heat oil in a wok and lightly fry the potatoes. Keep aside.

Temper the same oil with fenugreek, fennel, mustard seeds and the halved red chillies. Add the sliced onions and fry till brown.

Add the ginger-garlic paste and fry for 2 minutes. Beat the yogurt and add to it. Stir well for a minute.

Add the cumin, coriander , red chilli powders, turmeric and salt. Fry for 1/2 a minute. Add the potatoes and fold in well.

Add 1/2 medium cup water. Cover cook thickens as seen in the picture. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves [I did not have it on the day].

Serve hot.

                                                      KASURI METHI PARATHA



It is not a paratha with stuffing. I mixed all ingredients with the flour mix and prepared the dough of the paratha. I have given a stepwise picture for it.

INGREDIENTS :
Refined flour : 1coffee cup
Whole Wheat Flour : 2coffee cup
Kasuri Methi : 1medium cup[dried fenugreek leaves]
Coriander Leaves : 2tbsp[chopped]
Onion : 1medium [chopped]
Green Chilli : 2-3[chopped]
Cumin Powder ; 1tsp
Coriander Powder : 1tsp
Salt : 1/4tsp
Oil : 3tbsp + 1/2tbsp to fry each flatbread {you can use ghee instead]


METHOD :

Take all the other ingredients in a large bowl except the oil required to fry the flatbreads. Rub the whole thing for 2-3 minutes.

Add warm water little by little and keep kneading to form a soft dough. It looks as below.


Cover it for 30 minutes as below. You better cover it with a clean, moist, cloth.



Remove cover, knead again for 2-3 minutes.


Prepare medium sized balls, dust with flour and shape into round  parathas with a rolling pin as below.




Heat a frying pan on the oven. Place each parathata on it. Roast both sides for 1/2 a minute each. Add 1-2 tbsp of oil or ghee . Cook for a little while each side till the paratha soaks up all well.




Serve hot with the veggies, accompanied by pickle.  What you see in the pictures is a made at home apple achar.


3 comments :