Friday 20 September 2019

SHAMA CHAL ER TAWA PITHA





This was on my mind for quite sometime now, I am really into planning healthier meals for myself and the family without compromising with our taste buds. Yesterday afternoon, I felt let us do it. It went through some trial and error and finally landed into this. I / we love malpua, the son would love if it is not too brown. The son enjoys soft, fairer malpuas with brown edges. I was wanting a malpua like something without letting in gallons of oil or ghee. I again got home a soyabean oil yesterday. Cristine says, "ma'am... olive oil, ghee & mustard oil" combination is not workable at this home.... we need to get a canola or sunflower or a blend every month, limit olive oil to salad dressings, mustard oil to pure Bengali cooking and ghee exclusively for "luchi, porota and rokomari mishti o pithe." I complied to that and this sugar free, gluten free, vegan pitha [pithe is steamed or fried savoury or sweet dumplings and cakes] happened that too each in few drops of oil. May be few days of practice would have got me and you a perfectly round shape of these snacks but they tasted so perfect that I had to share the recipe with you, the other day I read how diabetes is creeping into our homes at an alarming rate. 

I will not call this power breakfast with Barnyard Millet & Banana SHAMA CHAL ER TAWA PITHA a pancake. The word pancake smells so "egg-y" to me. When new to this island, I did get readymade pancake mix home but then the husband and the son refused to have heavy breakfasts before going out. The man used to love Swiss Alpen, that too I stopped getting because I hate to waste. Only a packet of cornflakes comes monthly for our boy. I do not think cornflakes have anything good to do in an Indian body, it is processed after all.... but the son enjoys it back from the school on certain days. I love muesli without adding milk but with plain yogurt, oh no! my sugar level reaches new heights if I have it. Hence, I need umpteen meal ideas less in sugar for me and my family.

Take a look at the pictures. I have packed their lunch boxes with an egg fried rice I had prepared because Cristine tends to add excess of the soy sauce. On the days when they take sandwiches and pasta, I take leave from preparing for their lunch boxes as Cristine makes them pretty well. What went to the snack boxes you can see; self made gluten free, sugar free "pithas"..... samo rice / Barnyard Millet power snacks SHAMA CHAL ER TAWA PITHA and fruits of their / our choice pears and grapes.





What I prepare for them has to come to my plate if only I enjoy it. I really enjoyed the "pitha" with coffee and you know that egg fried rice is a regular at this home.... if for dinner then roasted chicken or a baked fish goes with it. The senior's cuppa will never have anything with it. He says a good cup of tea should never have anything with it.... milk, sugar, biscuits, cake... nothing but only the flavour. The tea connoisseur that he is, he wants yet more good quality and variety of them but I stick to Twinings, else I cannot buy that tiny pair of gold "jhumka" I had been eyeing at which he never pays for. The fight continues "boss dena, tor cheler bou er jonyoi to shob, ami kodin aar porbo"..... He to me, "khali dhop, amar cheler bou oshob porbeo na, gold is bad investment." Me to him... "shon shey to shoshurer shamney half pant porey ghurey byarabey, beshi jabona bujhli... bechey thakley oshob dekhteo hobey, meney niteyo hobey.... sareegulo amar kothai jabey ki jani.... jodi Bangali ranna khete dakey kokhono taholey jabo.... chingri diye je sudhu malaikari noy, laupatai moshola aar chingri mekhe, tarpor murey tawai ghonta khanek epith opith korley darun lagey eta ami morley o janbeyo na." 

Come on, I will be a nice maa-in-law too, good enough to admit to her "shono meye, app byaparta ami akhono bujhina.... tomra dujon ki sundor alochona koro..... tomar buro, pyangla, har bojjat shoshur moshai amai meney niyechilo, shob chelera mantey parey na"..... I often indulge into such conversations sitting alone, as some of my friends say that my husband will prove to be a wonderful, indulgent paa-in-law. I totally believe it because I have witnessed my own father's behaviour towards his wife and that towards his daughter-in-law. Perhaps so he died a king. 

I sincerely hope our son's wife would suit herself with the world and will not lag behind like me. Somedays, she may wish to take a look at my blog, say no to store bought pancake mix and prepare this perfectly healthy, gluten free, vegan pitha for "her family." When she wishes for a "maacher jhol, mochar ghonto or even kola patai mora steamed murgir kima", she definitely can invite me.... I will not shy away from asking her.... "app maney ki, balance sheet ki korey banai? mathai dhokena boley chakri korai holona. Shobai ki kobider moto nijer iccher dash hotey parey? naki amar hariye jaoa shei bondhur moto colleger shiritey boshey boltey parey "shon Soma, chakri ami korbona, amar onnyo swapno. To bujhley bouma, ooi shopnalu, dagor chokher bondhur barir letter box e karor ekta prempotro feley eshechilam.... jiboneyo bolbo na patriti ke, manusher bhabke shanman kortey shikhbey bujhecho?" 

In fulfilling your dreams, you may have to bypass and shelve many a things.... certain principles, beliefs, faith, dear people.... no problem, one should not stop them standing midway.... I wonder if someone has remembered his beloved "DSOr didir" address or not, why some  are still scared of my very shadow .... but it is okay man, each one has the right to shape one's life, just as I do not allow anyone to come in between me, my couch, my day dreaming sitting there or at long walks. As long as the writer and singer community have something for me to live, I get through every damn odd feelings.... "monkharap, golai kachtai kichu atkey achey? no problem... money money Shantiniketan choley jao.... onar paaye lutiye poro, bolo apni bolechilen ami harbo na kichutei, else switch on to KennyG"..... they do not know each other but they have similar effect on me..... peace and only peace they have to offer. Readers do you know I am a "dukkhobilashi" since birth?... Do not take me seriously.... follow my blog, cook & eat my recipes, they are good.
Photo Updated on 21.02.2024


INGREDIENTS :

COOKED BARNYARD MILLET / SHAMA CHAL / SAMO RICE : 1 COFFEE MUG
BANANA : 3-4 SMALL SIZED OR 2 STANDARD SIZED
STEVIA POWDER : 1/2 MEDIUM SIZED TEA CUP [YOU CAN USE SUGAR OF THE SAME AMOUNT]
CRUSHED BLACK PEPPERCORN : 1/2 TSP
FENNEL SEED : 1TSP
RICE FLOUR : 2 TBSP
OIL : 2-3 DROPS FOR EACH + 1TBSP FOR THE BATTER
USE A BIT OF WATER IN THE BATTER IF ONLY REQUIRED

PROCEDURE :

Wash and soak the barnyard millets in enough water, then cook for 10 minutes. Let cool and prepare a paste of them.

Wash peel and mash the bananas. Beat together the pasted same rice, rice-flour, cornflour, mashed bananas, stevia or sugar, fennel seeds, crushed black peppercorns, 1tbsp of oil. Keep aside for 1/2 an hour.

Place a wok on the gas stove, add the mixture and keep stirring continuously for 10-12 minutes, until it reaches a halwa like consistency. Take down and let it cool.

Heat a tawa / pan / griddle on the gas stove. Grease you palms with a little of oil & prepare pancake shapes from the mixture, brush the pan with just a drop or two of oil and place the cake. Cook both the sides well, covered at the minimal heat until the tops are slightly crisp.

Try to enjoy them fresh & hot with your favourite beverages.










No comments :

Post a Comment