Friday 3 January 2020

BEGUN DHONEPATA BATA


Eggplant is a family love and this particular dish is a winter speciality from my side of the family. There is no winter in this island does not mean I will not want or try to bring back childhood memories. "Gorom Bhaat" was what it was served with. I do not know why "Begun Pora" was mostly done in the evenings. This particular one was not further cooked but was made into a paste with onion, green chillies, fresh coriander. Later, salt was added. How much I loved it. Preparing the vegetarian pate BEGUN DHONE PATA BATA in the blender also makes a difference. I have no other way but to do it in a blender!


These days, I wish to present most of my dishes in a totality, so that they can serve as a meal idea to my readers. As a food blogger, we are here to solve your every day meal planning. If you are an Indian or enjoy having Indian Food, CURRY AND SPICE should prove helpful.

Today, I was craving to share something I grew up eating and immensely loved, still love. My family will not deny having it if served with "luchi o mangsho." Do check with my "LUCHI O MUTTON" recipe, it is considered a religion for the otherwise rice loving Bengalis. I have to change the pictures wishing to include a salad and a vegetarian dish in the platter. I can have "luchi" with any side that is spicy and yes with roshogolla. Our mother enjoys her "ruti-porota-luchi" with butter or roshogolla. Off course, my men cannot have their rice or bread alone with the vegan, gluten-free egg plant pate, they need something else like a meat or fish or egg too unless it is an "aloor dum or chanar dalna or paneer dish." I can have this vegan, gluten free vegetarian side alone with rice and breads. I am a foodie actually. Yesterday morning, Cristine prepared two "luchis" with the leftover dough and served me with "shaak bhaja." If the Filipino has learnt to cook "fulko luchi", I am a good teacher.


This morning I had my tea with "Chitoi Pitha". How is it possible that I do not prepare "pithe puli" during "poush mash?" I have some sweet & savoury snacks coming up next.


Our son is watching talks on climate change. Ask him to eat full vegetarian food more than one day and see the reaction. Climate Change is a big concern of the present day is true; going full vegetarian or vegan is unacceptable. If its by choice, then it is okay, food should not be a force. What we eat is our choice, how can anyone else decide it for us?



INGREDIENTS : 

EGG PLANT : 1 STANDARD SIZED
ONION : 1 MEDIUM SIZED
CHOPPED FRESH CORIANDER : 1MEDIUM TEA CUP
GREEN CHILLI : 2-3-4 [CHOOSE YOURS]
SALT : AS REQUIRED
OIL : 1 TBSP

PROCEDURE :

Wash the egg plant and pat dry. Make slits and rub little oil all over the body. Take it on a manual roaster and place it on the gas oven top. Keep the heat at low or at the minimal.



Roast all the sides very well till it is burnt well. I love that smell of roasted egg plants. Let it cool. 


We will discard the stem end & the skin now. Add it to the mixer-grinder.

Also add the peeled, ends discarded, washed and chopped onions to it, the washed green chillies, chopped and washed fresh coriander, garlic cloves to the blender!




Blend everything together to a smooth paste. If you have a "shil nora", that is Bengali style mortar and pestle, do it in that for a more authentic texture. The taste remains the same done either way!


Enjoy with piping hot steamed rice or flat & puffed bread.


 








No comments :

Post a Comment