Monday 20 January 2020

SUJI O TIL ER MUCHMUCHE BORA


I was all set to share a Bengali recipe on dried Bombay Duck today, something stopped me. There are two celebrations in the family midweek,  all of the concerned party love "shutki maach," at this home we do. Yet, my inner self told, "please, some other day!" No, I am not a self proclaimed angel, I know I am not, no human can be. Then, if the last bit of conscience vanishes from the self, I will turn to be  a criminal. Spare me that. I am alive, my hands are active; some half an hour back I cooked the semolina and white sesame fritter SUJI O TIL ER MUCHMUCHE BORA, a vegetarian snack for my readers. Right now I am having a plateful of it; yes, I do have suicidal tendencies. The mixture could have been turned onto an appe or adding some water it could be made into pancakes using less oil instead of deep frying. Then, my family back home would enjoy it fried; hence. I can give myself to you up to a certain limit, thereafter I will ask "what are you giving me in return? What have you done to make me feel happy?" I repeat, I am not an angel but I love to cook. Last Saturday, I cooked all these, "lau diye rui maacher matha, jhinge aloo til, aloo peyazkoli, dhonepata tomato diye mushur dal, kanchakola diye tatka magur, tomato diye tatka rui, kolmi shaak bhaja, kumro aloo pui er ghonto, ilish er dim bhaja, mutton." Yes, mumma deboned even the "rui er peti" for the "dherey khoka." Once I finish, I have to notify the concerned people that the "ilish er dim er packet" was too stale. I am immensely happy with the quality of "rui and magur."


Last Saturday night, we had the mutton with "fulko luchi." Each day, two-three of my "luchis" go wrong. Should I even call myself a good "luchi" maker?" I need semolina to perfect them which an authentic Bengali "luchi" does not use. Anyway, my entire family loves "luchi o mutton."


Yesterday, the senior flew back to the neighbouring capital again on work, see he left his love "cigar packet and lighter." Mumma and son had a lunch with "magur maach kanchakolar jhol, peyazkoli alu bhaja, kolmi shaak, tomato-dhonepata diye mushur dal." Our help goes on leave every Sunday. The son does not eat spinach if its not cooked with meat, he had a piece of meat too.


The son eats the meat, fish, dal rice and leaves rest of the rice on his plate. He does so much of binge eating all day that he eats the amount of rice a toddler would. Mumma was not willing to have rice for dinner but she hates wastage. She had the leftover rice for dinner adding some butter, an omelette. I think I had an egg after fifteen days or so. The son did get a pizza for himself. I still believe after few years of living away from home, he will learn to enjoy home cooked food.



Semolina Fritters is not a family thing, I did not even know something like it existed in India. Then, last year I came across a "suji pakora" recipe in a FaceBook Page "Cooking Shooking". I am forgetting the name of the page owner, the boy seems to be my son's age. Okay, I did not follow his recipe ditto, I took a rough idea then and did. This morning, I did this vegetarian, deep fried snack SUJI O TIL ER MUCHMUCHE BORA all by myself, there was no time to search for any similar recipe. It is undoubtedly too yum to have and remains crispy for a longer period. Have it with your choice of beverage. I think I have done a bit of justice to you all, now I should be left alone.



INGREDIENTS :

SEMOLINA / SUJI : 1MEDIUM TEA CUP
WHITE SESAME / SHADA TIL : 2TBSP
PLAIN YOGURT : 4-5TBSP
CURRY LEAF : 6-7
CORIANDER LEAF : A SPRIG OR TWO
GREEN CHILLI : 2
ONION : 1SMALL
WATER : 1/4SMALL TEA CUP
TURMERIC POWDER : 1/4TSP
SALT : AS REQUIRED
OIL : 100ML-150ML TO DEEP FRY

PROCEDURE :

Take the semolina in a bowl and add the plain yogurt to it. Mix well.


Add water and the amount of salt required. Mix very well.


Keep aside for half an hour covered. Let us chop the onion, coriander & curry leaves, green chillies and wash them thoroughly.

Add them and the white sesame seeds to the semolina mixture.



I rely on my clean hands to fold in well.


I forgot to add the turmeric powder earlier, I did it in the last lap.


Now, we will heat oil in the wok and deep fry pouring smaller balls in batches at low to minimal heat.


Once done, we will reserve them on a tissue paper for sometime. Thereafter we will serve them with our choice of chutney, sauce, beverages when they are still hot.


No comments :

Post a Comment