Monday 10 August 2020

SUGAR FREE LUCHIR PAYESH


It is Janmashtami Celebration among many Indians a day after. I worship both the adult avatar of Krishna and his child version; Ladoo, my boy. Our son used to throw away his flute and remove him off his sit as a child. Every year, on this day I cook few dishes and do the offering. None of the year it is really a grand affair at this home, I do not have enough space. I do not have the required energy to cook a lot either. This year given the situation; I will do it in an even smaller scale. One thing I am very strict about is whatever I do, I must do it sincerely. Me cooked food goes wrong too but I do not take pride in it. In the next attempt, I try my best to correct the error.

It actually so happens that I do not usually attempt or may bypass difficult tasks. This is a very mediocre trait in a person and I agree I am one. I cook simple and I share simpler food in the blog. This vegetarian, Bengali dessert SUGAR FREE LUCHIR PAYESH suits the occasion, you can cook it hassle free and offer it to your God Family not only on Janmashtami but on any special prayer day.

Luchir Payesh was cooked in Bengali families with left over refined flour poori / puffed breads. People lived in joint families and it was not possible to count always or cook things in exact amounts; there were always sudden guests and there was no displeasure on part of the household welcoming them. "Bashi Luchi" / stale puffed bread had two uses, it was eaten with tea the next morning or it was made to a kheer / milk pudding; the later is what I am sharing today.

In our family, stale puffed bread was eaten with tea if there was any leftover at all. Ours' was a nuclear family already and our mother has always been a very organised person. She always has complete control over her pantry and kitchen. Cooking in bulk, throwing off food, allowing many people inside her kitchen is not the way she worked. I too cannot work in coordination with others in my kitchen; nor can be a help at others' homes.

So, you know, I had rarely seen our mother doing this dessert with stale puffed bread and boiled, thickened milk, sugar. Because, I am sharing the recipe on the eve of a special prayer meet & asking you to cook and offer it to the Almighty; I would ask you to do the pudding with freshly made puffed bread / poori / luchi. In my SUGAR FREE LUCHIR PAYESH, I used honey instead of sugar.


INGREDIENTS FOR THE LUCHI / PUFFED BREAD

REFINED FLOUR : 1 COFFEE MUG
SALT : 2 PINCH
OIL : 1 TBSP + 50 ML TO DEEP FRY

INGREDIENTS FOR THE PUFFED BREAD KHEER

THE LUCHIS / PUFFED BREAD
FULL CREAM MILK : 350-400 ML
EVAPORATED CREAMER : 150 ML
HONEY : 1/2 SMALL TEA CUP [ADD AS PER YOUR PREFERENCE]
GREEN CARDAMOM POWDER : 1 TSP
BAY LEAF : 1
TOASTED AND CHOPPED DRY FRUITS TO GARNISH

PROCEDURE :

To make the puffed breads, I had mixed together the refined flour & salt . 

Thereafter, I added 1tbsp oil to it.



I rubbed the entire thing for about 2 minutes and prepared a smooth dough adding water little by little. 



I had covered the dough for 15-20 minutes; removed cover; kneaded it for 2 minutes and tore of portions. 

I had smoothened the balls in between my palms and rolled out roundels from each of them.




I heated the oil in an iron wok and deep fried each bread. The oil need not be too hot or allowed to be get cold. Constant adjusting of the heat level is required.



At this stage, it was difficult not eat them but cool to refrigerate.



I kept them in the refrigerator overnight. Next morning, I took them out and tore into pieces.



I had taken the full cream milk in a deep bottomed vessel. The evaporated creamer & honey are also ready atop the kitchen counter.




I had put the milk for boil adding a bayleaf. When I had boiled for about 8-10 minutes, I added the evaporated creamer.



I gave a stir and boiled it further for 10 minutes and added the cardamom powder and honey.




I kept stirring and cooking it for another 5 minutes. Then poured it on to a serving bowl. 

I added the torn puffed bread pieces and allowed it to dunk. 



Once the dessert got cooled, I refrigerated it for at least 3-4 hours before serving garnishing it with toasted and chopped dried fruits!



2 comments :